View Poll Results: Who's The Better Dumbledore?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard Harris?

38 55.88%
  • Michael Gambon?

30 44.12%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: Who Is The Better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or Michael Gambon

Christopher Lee should have become Dumbledore when Harris died. Gambon comes across as a jerk and his accent is wierd hes nothing like dumbledore is supposed to be.

I will say that Gambons best movie as Dumbledore is HPB (even though the film itself was horrible) so he did improve slightly at the end.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    But you don't KNOW that. It's too bad that he was old and died, but if he had a few more years, maybe he could have pulled it off.

Either way, that's not a fair way to judge someone -- on something they weren't able to prove or disprove.
    I actually like both Harris and Gambon equally. Couldn't tell the difference between the two in Gambon's first film. I think the role of the character changed from lighthearted to more imposing and unpredictable, mostly due to a change in plots rather than actors. Gambons work stands as a credit to Harris, and vice-versa.

I can see them each meating eachother at the Pearly Gates one day, embracing eachother ... and then engaging in a lively battlegame of quidich.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Christopher Lee should have become Dumbledore when Harris died. Gambon comes across as a jerk and his accent is wierd hes nothing like dumbledore is supposed to be.

I will say that Gambons best movie as Dumbledore is HPB (even though the film itself was horrible) so he did improve slightly at the end.
    Like McKellan, Lee was also working on another series featuring a few wizards at the time. And he likes to play villians. Him playing the kind and good Dumbledore would not have taken with fans.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

for me, Harris is the better Dumbledore hands down. When I first saw Sorcerer's Stone, to me Harris was exactly how I imagined Dumbledore to look and sound like. Gambon for me came across as too snarky (for the lack of a better word) and harsh (such as the scene many have mentioned in GoF). In my opinion I think Gambon finally got down what I really liked about Harris' portrayal in HBP, but I still think Harris has the better Dumbledore.

• Minion

I think I would like to hear from the person, or persons, who read Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone before ever seeing the movie and how they pictured Dumbledore in their mind. And was it anything like how Harris portrayed him in the first 2 films.

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    I think I would like to hear from the person, or persons, who read Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone before ever seeing the movie and how they pictured Dumbledore in their mind. And was it anything like how Harris portrayed him in the first 2 films.
    I read the book before seeing the movie and thought Harris did an awesome job. He was just how I pictured him to be.

• Minion

Uhm, ok, nevermind.

• The one and only

Gambon did do a great job during most of this movie. I've seen it five times, and each time, I like him more and more.

I still stick with my first choice, Harris.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    I read the book before seeing the movie and thought Harris did an awesome job. He was just how I pictured him to be.
    I didn't actually read the first few books. I listened to the first three on CD before the films were released. The narrator Jim Dale performed all of the roles creatively, each uniquely, and all beautifully. And so I have to admit listening to him speak the words had to have had an influence on my expectation of how Dumbledore should look and sound in the films.

I doubt the filmmakers necessarily decided to mimic Dale's interpretation of Dumbledore. So I assume that the fact that Harris's performance of the headmaster is very similar in tone and soft-spokenness to Dale's Dumbledore speaks simply to how JK Rowling described the character in prose, and that both the filmmakers and the narrator came to the same conclusion over how to portray him…which, for me, was perfect in both cases.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234