View Poll Results: Who's The Better Dumbledore?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard Harris?

38 55.88%
  • Michael Gambon?

30 44.12%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Who Is The Better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or Michael Gambon

I've been tinkering with this idea for a thread for a little while now. It was seeing how a few fans commented on the recent film that finally put this thread from inspiration to reality.

So the question at hand......

Who do you like better as Albus Dumbledore? The late Richard Harris who started the role, or the actor Michael Gambon who took on the role from the 3rd movie and onward?

In my opinion, and I've got nothing against Gambon, but I liked Harris' portrayal better. He had a more gentle feel in the role, almost a father or grandfather like quality. And his voice was much softer. Granted though, in the first 3 movies or films, Dumbledore wasn't as fierce as he was later on, starting with the 4th when Voltemort returned.

And I'll give Gambon some credit. He did appear to play a stronger Dumbledore, but I guess we'll never know just how "fierce looking" that Harris could have been while playing him.

So let us know who you think is the better Dumbledore.

• Goofy

Re: Who Is The Better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or Michael Gambon

what happen to ian mackellan? that guy who played magneto in x men movies?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    what happen to ian mackellan? that guy who played magneto in x men movies?
    As I stated in one of the other Potter threads, McKellan never played Dumbledore, although it can be easy to confuse him with the character, being that he played the long bearded wizard Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings movies, which started coming out around the same time as the first two Potter movies.

But after Harris past away after the release of the 2nd film, McKellan was highly considered for taking over the role of Dumbledore. But I remember him saying in an interview somewhere that he refused to play him, in part because he knew Harris in real life, and from where they came from, they were bitter rivals in real life. So taking over the role would not be kosher. And I wouldn't think it would've been wise for McKellan to be cast as both Dumbledore (from the beginning) and as Gandalf in the LOTR movies. Being that the first 2 Potter movies came out at the same time as the LOTR series.

• The one and only

I'm going to have to go with Harris. There is no doubt in my mind.
    Gambon just isn't Dumbledore. Although, in this movie, he does seem to be a whole lot more Dumbledorish than movies 3-5.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I voted Gambon because Harris couldn't have done the action scenes required for Dumbledore. It wouldn't have looked natural.

Truly, I am impartial to either, I just wish Gambon would have read the books. there was so much he could have gotten to help him out.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I prefer Richard Harris. Gambon is a good actor, but has never mastered the little sparkle in the eye that Dumbledore should have. He just seems too dull.

I agree Ian McKellan would have made an excellent Dumbledore, but I'd rather keep him as Gandalf and not have him end up "that guy who plays the wizards"

• or CBF

I like them both for different reasons.

Harris had the charm and the wisdom of Dumbledore

Gambon has the dramatic side.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Go DCA, Go! :D

Looooove Mchael Gambon as Dumbledore, he makes the character kinda Jack Sparrow-ish.
    "Miley Cyrus is an abomination to the Walt Disney Company and a talentless little brat."
    -jfsebastian

• Circle of Ancients

In Gambon's defense, as far as the "gentleness factor", Richard Harris had the first two movies, before things got REALLY serious. Espeically in book/movie 5, Dumbledore is more shut-down and shut's out Harry.

Richard Harris was an AMAZING actor and played Dumbledore very well. But Gambon has also done a great job and really put his own spin on it. In movie 3 I was scared that he was going to try and BE Richard Harris, I'm glad that he didn't.

I know Gambon has gotten his fair shair of bashing for the role, but IMO he's taken it in stride and has really done a great job IMO.

I'm going to wait until I see HBP before I make my final determination though.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

After watching the first 5 movies all weekend, I have to say, I still prefer Richard Harris. To me, he was Dumbledore. I think Michael Gambon has gotten better with each movie, but still just doesn't quite capture the spirit of Dumbledore that Richard Harris had for me instantly. I haven't seen the new movie yet, so I reserve the right to change my mind after I see it

• Disneyland PAP

Sorry, but I'm skipping reading any of the above posts until I watch Prince this Sunday, so I don't accidentally read anything I don't want to. But after three films, my feelings are pretty strong against Michael Gambon's take as Dumbledore. There was a moment in Goblet of Fire, after Harry's name is comes out of the goblet and Dumbledore in his office virtually attacks Harry, asking him if he'd put his name into the goblet, that my patience for his portrayal of Dumbledore disappeared. Now I just tolerate his performance. Richard Harris's Dumbledore shows much more affection and grace towards Harry in the first two films, just the way I felt it should be when I read the books.

I've still got "hope" that maybe Gambon's work in Prince might change my mind finally. I'll find out after I see it this Sunday morning.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

As a non-reader of the books, I put my vote for Richard Harriss. Now... I don't know how Dumbledore is intended to be in the books. All i have is what was on screen and I just feel that Richard Harriss had that wonderful mysterious charm about him. And I think it's not fair to say he coudln't do the dramatic scenes.. he never had the chance to prove it.

Gambon is a great actor but to me he seems more clumsy than all-wise.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Harris wouldn't have been able to do the the action scenes and all those like Gambon. Harris seemed older and Gambon is more dark and mysterious and dramatic.
    -Tyler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler1994 View Post
    Harris wouldn't have been able to do the the action scenes and all those like Gambon. Harris seemed older and Gambon is more dark and mysterious and dramatic.

But you don't KNOW that. It's too bad that he was old and died, but if he had a few more years, maybe he could have pulled it off.

Either way, that's not a fair way to judge someone -- on something they weren't able to prove or disprove.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Rock Star Minion

Picard over Kirk.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast