• Minion

Iger Letter to Shareholders - 10/3/05

This was electronically delivered to me via my broker... Thought you guys would be interested...

October 3, 2005

Dear Fellow Shareholder,

With the start of our new fiscal year, and as new CEO of The Walt Disney Company, I wanted to share our business strategy as well as a few Disney highlights set for the coming months.

Across all of our businesses, Disney's senior management team is focused on three strategic priorities: 1) Creating quality and innovative content that continues to differentiate Disney as best-in-class; 2) Deploying cutting-edge technologies to showcase our content for early competitive advantage while enhancing the customer experience; and, 3) Expanding and adding depth to our global presence, particularly in emerging markets.

These strategic priorities are designed to best position a number of very exciting developments already planned or well underway. Our domestic theme parks are enjoying attendance growth thanks in part to the global celebration of Disneyland's 50th anniversary, "The Happiest Celebration on Earth," and just three weeks ago, we opened Hong Kong Disneyland, our first theme park in the world's most populous nation. Turning to Media Networks, ABC has terrific momentum with hit shows like Desperate Housewives, Lost and Grey's Anatomy, and ESPN continues to be the #1 destination for sports fans. At Consumer Products, the appeal of Disney Princess is driving solid growth in retail sales. Disney Studios has the upcoming films Chicken Little, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and the sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean. And soon, we will be introducing new wireless services with compelling content from ESPN and Disney Mobile.

Disney also strives for continuous improvement in corporate governance practices as well as shareholder communications.

We are very mindful that Disney is not "just another company," but an enterprise with a unique set of branded assets that are treasured by millions of people the world over. Looking ahead, I am confident that we have everything it takes - the talent, experience and sense of purpose - to continue Disney's strong track record of success.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Iger
    President and Chief Executive Officer
    Check out my other blog:

• Where's my other cent?

Re: Iger Letter to Shareholders - 10/3/05

So, do we get excited that Iger says he's "mindful that Disney is not 'just another company,'" or is that just corporate rhetoric?

• Minion

Well analysts say that the stock jumped 55 cents on this letter...

We'll see...

I am a little wary of number 2 in their stratigic plan... I don't know if the ballyho of CGI 3D is a big enough of a gimmick to spur growth... Particularly when the trailers really show that the film lacks story... And there is no way they will be able to convert 3000+ theatres in time for Chicken Little 3D...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    So, do we get excited that Iger says he's "mindful that Disney is not 'just another company,'" or is that just corporate rhetoric?
    Boy, I almost wonder if Zenia wrote that after reading me post it so many times :-)

Interesting to hear Iger say he's mindful of Disney not being ''just another company" when the whole corporate strategy, since the ABC takeover, has been just that.