Disney's Profits Are Down

Industry News

According to this article at the Orlando Sentinel, Disney’s profits have fallen 26% lately with Q4 Room Reservations coming in already at 7% below the previous year. Discounts however have helped keep the attendance levels up at the parks however, with Disney World staying flat but Disneyland attendance being up 10%. Sounds to me like the Disneyland guests are responding to the new attractions and nighttime shows... while WDW had nothing new to show this year.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Disney's Profits Are Down

or... this years promos of Birthday work much better with DLR then WDW due to the local access to the park.

We knew from the get-go that the free admission program would better suit DLR. Plus, DLR introduced the new payment plans for AP - that should be a huge boost too.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

From WSJ: >>Chief Executive Bob Iger said Thursday that one way to combat decreasing DVD sales and the rising popularity of rentals is to concentrate on making movies that are more convenient to own than to rent, such as child-friendly films.<<

Why not release heavily demanded Walt Disney's "Song of the South" on DVD (after a theatrical window) and save the bottom line for a quarter?

• Banned User

Or better yet, roll back ticket prices at the park to 1979 levels!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    From WSJ: >>Chief Executive Bob Iger said Thursday that one way to combat decreasing DVD sales and the rising popularity of rentals is to concentrate on making movies that are more convenient to own than to rent, such as child-friendly films.<<

Why not release heavily demanded Walt Disney's "Song of the South" on DVD (after a theatrical window) and save the bottom line for a quarter?
    Actually I think it is the contraction of the number of films produced per year is really hurting the DVD profit model...

They abandoned making a large amount of mediocre films with scripts pre approved by managment, and in it's stead to throwing more money at a much smaller amount of mediocre films with absolutely no accountablity.

AND they expect DVD sales not suffer? Sheesh.

The Good News is Dreamworks (live action) is just starting to release films under their contract with Disney soon. Once that production comes on line, I expect the DVD sales bottom line get better...

I am looking forward to Spielberg's Harvey.

Getting the market to switch from DVD to Blue Ray is a pipe dream. I don't see the compelling reason to make the switch other than being forced to do so by supplier's itself.
    Check out my other blog:

• 3rd shift

...looks like its time to raise the price on churros....
    dude, where is my milkshake!