Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disneyland Price Increase as of August 2nd, 2009

Disneyland hikes prices starting Sunday - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

Single ticket adult: $72 (from $69)
    Single park child, ages 3 to 9: $62 (from $59)
    Premium annual pass: $429 (from $389)
    Deluxe annual pass: $289 (from $269)
    Southern California annual pass: $194 (from $174)
    Southern California Select annual pass: $144 (from $134)
    Prices have increased from $43 in 2001 to $72 in 2009

Click HERE To DIGG It

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Price Increase as of August 3rd, 2009

Ouch! That's a big jump for the middle of the worst economic recession since the Great Depression. Pretty ballsy move by the mouse.

I may be willing to pay that much, but I wonder how much money the average guest has left in their wallets? They are already cutting back on food and merchandise, at some point they'll ditch Disneyland for Knott's Berry Farm as well. I really hope Disney hasn't gone too far. The timing is insensitive at best.

Way to kick your customers when they are down!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

ha, that's funny...i was just looking at prices a couple days ago and thinking to myself how AP prices look like they could go up soon. i didn't expect a $40 jump for a premium pass though, ouch. at least i've already got mine..

flower gleam & glow...

• Pilot EdForceOne

I like the jump in the premium... maybe Disney is finally starting to try to ween people off the AP gravy train.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Shablagoo!

Well they do have a lot of annual passholders. My guess is this will cause a few to leave, but the increased profit on each AP will make up for it. And it might help with the overcrowding which will bring more value to the guests that are there. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Well they do have a lot of annual passholders. My guess is this will cause a few to leave, but the increased profit on each AP will make up for it. And it might help with the overcrowding which will bring more value to the guests that are there. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Just a year ago, they were worried by the declining number of passholders and the weakening economy. How quickly they forget. One minute they are counting on APs to save their business and the next they are kicking them in the gut

We LOVE you - We HATE you. Make up your mind Mr. Disney!
    Find us on Facebook:

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Holy crud that's painful! $40 increase, really? I use to cringe at the $380 but wow!! I mean, I'm an idiot and will still buy it, but ouch!!!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Just a year ago, they were worried by the declining number of passholders and the weakening economy. How quickly they forget. One minute they are counting on APs to save their business and the next they are kicking them in the gut

We LOVE you - We HATE you. Make up your mind Mr. Disney!
    Agreed. They worried and seem to have discovered that it is not a problem. If the seemingly weekly posts here on Micechat about the overcrowding in the park are any indication, they may be right.

• Cove Bar Official Dj

the dragon better be working with these price increases... LOL
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SiRocket View Post
    the dragon better be working with these price increases... LOL
    LOL - I want my own dragon for that price!

Honestly, I do think it will solve their passholder "Problem." But I wonder if it won't create a longer term erosion of passholder loyalty.

$72 for a one day/one park ticket is also a LOT of money for people right now. I've got friends who haven't been to Disneyland in over a year because they can't afford it in this economy. This certainly isn't going to help.

So on the one hand, they'll run a promo and give away two days for the price of one and on the other hand they are raising prices. Sort of the schizophrenic approach to ticketing.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Banned User

They are going to force more people to buy the low level Annual Passes if they keep them really cheap and keep hiking the premium and one day tickets. The low level passes are the ones with the blockouts and that is the problem they are having now. Too many passes with blockouts keep people out during the summer and busy seasons when they actually want them there and in turn create the problematic attendance patterns. I don't understand what they're doing.

I'm starting to really really resent the comments about AP people. I used my last Deluxe Pass 97 times and every time I went I had at least one meal at the park. Along with bottled drinks and other items you can bet I spent at least twenty dollars every visit. About 60% of these visits I took public transportation to get there.

How am I causing an inconvenience to other guests or the Disney company?
    Pirates NEVER cry!

Quick question: The title says the price increase is effective August 3rd, but the article says it is effective Sunday, which would be the 2nd. Which one is it? We don't have passes now, but we wanted to get some soon, preferably before the price increase. I'll go down tomorrow, but Sunday would be more convenient.

Regarding the AP "problem" and overcrowding, I think Disney should understand (and perhaps does understand) that their ticket pricing as it currently stands definitely encourages the problem. $72 for a single day is absolutely ridiculous, and you'd be hard pressed to find a local who would shell that out to go to Disneyland once a year. Either they will avoid Disneyland, or buy annual passes as go more often. At current prices, it doesn't take more than a couple visits (especially if the So-Cal AP blockout dates are convenient for you) for the Annual Pass to become more cost effective than a single day pass. So while really casual visitors (who are probably more likely to buy a souvenir to commemorate a yearly event, and eat in the park to spend as much of their limited time there as possible) are discouraged, those willing to shell out more and go more often add themselves to the swelling ranks of APs. Those ranks don't buy as much merchandise per-cap, are more willing to eat elsewhere, bring more cars, create insane lines for even the smallest new attraction, destroy the idea of "off-seasons", and then complain about it all here on Micechat (not that I'm knocking that - there are a number of problems to complain about, in hopes of getting them fixed).

As a prospective AP holder (I used to have one, took a hiatus due to job reasons, now I'm back) I think they are really good values. Maybe they are too good of a value. I can't help but think the spread between single/low multiple day tickets and APs should be wider. Perhaps cut the So Cal passes and just offer a basic (now called Deluxe) and Premium pass? I'm sure this is a discussion for its own thread, but I think the jump in AP prices is a smart baby step for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by gawama View Post
    I'm starting to really really resent the comments about AP people. I used my last Deluxe Pass 97 times and every time I went I had at least one meal at the park. Along with bottled drinks and other items you can bet I spent at least twenty dollars every visit. About 60% of these visits I took public transportation to get there.

How am I causing an inconvenience to other guests or the Disney company?
    You're not representative of all Deluxe pass holders. We're speaking in generalities, and of course individuals will differ from that.

On average a casual day guest will spend more money in the park and bring more people in a single car than an AP.

And by using your pass 97 times a year, you're creating a larger than average presence in the park, contributing to the crowding problem.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cutlass View Post
    Quick question: The title says the price increase is effective August 3rd, but the article says it is effective Sunday, which would be the 2nd. Which one is it? We don't have passes now, but we wanted to get some soon, preferably before the price increase. I'll go down tomorrow, but Sunday would be more convenient.
    Oops, a TYPO, Disney in the past has raised its prices on Mondays, byt this year, they switched to Sunday.

The price increases will take effect on Sunday, August 2nd.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast