Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    Well, since Al Lutz pretty much spelled it out and said this in his last update, it must be true. I totally agree that the average out-of-towner spends more then the average AP.
    The price increase that Al mentioned in his last article is in response to the increase in annual passholder sales. And Disney is trying to place control on the amount of the sales because it's the annual passholders that have been contributing to the large crowds this year.

    But as I posted with that article, raising the prices of the annual passes IS NOT going to solve the problems of the increasing crowds.

    How many years has Disney been raising their ticket prices? I remember back in the late 80s when it was only around $20 to get into Disneyland. And it's now $72? The rising ticket prices DO NOT deter guests from buying tickets to get into the gates. They can raise them all they want, and it is not going to stop them from coming. So I'll say again, raising the prices of the passes is not the answer.

    And as I also said with the article, the sole reason for the increase of the sales of annual passes, was the implementation of the monthly payments. As far as I know, Disney did not even advertise this outside of the resort. All it took, and I know this because I did it myself, was word of mouth. One person saw it at the park, and that person told everyone they knew. I remember telling people at my job last Christmas about it when it first started. So word spread like wildfire. So pretty much everyone in Southern California flocked to the DLR to purchase annual passes. And BOOM, sales sky rocketed! Granted, this boom in AP sales helped them during a rough economy, but it also contributed to unsafe crowd levels at the park. Raising the prices will not slow the sales of AP's, because people will still buy them. $429 for a premium?!?! That won't stop guests from purchasing them as long as they can make monthly payments!!! Stopping the monthly payment option ON ALL NEW AP SALES will make the numbers on AP purchases drop like a brick! And crowd levels will gradually start to decrease. And I when I say all new AP sales, because current ones with monthly payments are in a locked contract and cannot be changed. If Disney stops the monthly payment option on new AP sales, it will eventually solve the high crowd level problems. And this was mentioned in Al's article last week.


    But on a side note, I do find the price increase ludicrous and ridiculous. It just continues to show how much the Disney company has become the money grubber more and more through the years.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 08-03-2009 at 09:32 PM.

  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    YIKES!! Nearly $430 for a Premium!! It's just getting too high!! Who can afford $400?
    Compare that to the $600 + premium pass at WDW. Does it seem that high now? Maybe so, but not as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The general consensus at the meet yesterday was that the price increases suck, but everybody was still going to pay.

    However, as this applies to MiceChatters, it may not apply to everybody.
    That's pretty much what I just said. We're like zombies when it comes to Disney raising their ticket prices. It doesn't stop us, we just keep coming and coming.

  3. #18

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Screw it... work harder, work faster.

    When you break down the cost of an AP over the course of one year it's $1.18/day. Buck up folks, you've got the payment option down there in SoCal.

    Besides... it doesn't hurt that bad when they suck it out sloooooooowly.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  4. #19

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,685

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Compare that to the $600 + premium pass at WDW. Does it seem that high now? Maybe so, but not as much.
    Well, to be fair, for the extra $$ at WDW you get 2 additional (and better) parks (than DCA anyway) and the waterparks and disney quest.

    Not to even mention the awesome hotel discounts you get.

    So yeah, I'd say it's actually worth MORE than $200 over the Disneyland one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Screw it... work harder, work faster.

    When you break down the cost of an AP over the course of one year it's $1.18/day. Buck up folks, you've got the payment option down there in SoCal.

    Besides... it doesn't hurt that bad when they suck it out sloooooooowly.
    Exactly. Less than a cup of starbucks.


  5. #20

    •   
    • Who Gave Rob an Avatar?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,688

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, to be fair, for the extra $$ at WDW you get 2 additional (and better) parks (than DCA anyway) and the waterparks and disney quest.

    Not to even mention the awesome hotel discounts you get.
    The DLR Ap has awesome discounts as well for on property hotels. The hotel discount alone usually ends up paying for one pass every two nights we stay. In January the discount was great compared to the non-AP rates that one nights stay would pay for a pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

  6. #21

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,685

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    The DLR Ap has awesome discounts as well for on property hotels. The hotel discount alone usually ends up paying for one pass every two nights we stay. In January the discount was great compared to the non-AP rates that one nights stay would pay for a pass.
    I've never stayed at a Disneyland hotel, the discounts aren't anywhere near the ones you get in FL.

    In our 3 trips to WDW we've stayed on-site each time, twice using an AP discount.


  7. #22

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,792
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    okay now for attempt #2 to get my question answered:::::::

    now when you say that to get a so cal pass or a so cal select, you have to reside in southern california. is that between zip codes 93500-93599, or has that changed?


    because if it has changed then I am screwed because my zip code is 93555
    A quick check of disneyland.com shows the SoCall passes only being available to: "Residents living in zip code areas 90000-93599"
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  8. #23

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,685

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    okay now for attempt #2 to get my question answered:::::::

    now when you say that to get a so cal pass or a so cal select, you have to reside in southern california. is that between zip codes 93500-93599, or has that changed?

    because if it has changed then I am screwed because my zip code is 93555
    Isn't 93555 between 93500 and 93599??? Am I missing something?

    But yes, as Dusty posted above, you should be okay.


  9. #24

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, to be fair, for the extra $$ at WDW you get 2 additional (and better) parks (than DCA anyway) and the waterparks and disney quest.

    Not to even mention the awesome hotel discounts you get.

    So yeah, I'd say it's actually worth MORE than $200 over the Disneyland one.


    Good point.





    I'd move to Florida if it weren't for the humidity and the hurricanes.

  10. #25

    • The one, the only...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    2,863

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    I just want to say that the raising of the prices are not really about reducing the crowds. It is about raising the income for Disney. I really not think that Disney is "worried" about over crowding. Every amusement park tries to increase attendance and spending. Disney has managed to make it crowded, now they just have to raise spending. That can be done by ticket prices.

    I don't think that raising ticket prices is the right way to go, though. As Kevin pointed out in his article on paid fast passes at Six Flags, there can be add ons that increase revenue too. For example, reserved seating for Fantasmic and fireworks, special merchandizing events that offer collectables only at the event, and special event "parties" at the park like WDW has with its ticket only events for Halloween and Christmas. Those would take more creativity and imagination that Current Disneyland management does not seem to have.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan
    .................................

    Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

  11. #26

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,374

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    yo dusty, gregg,


    thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthanky outhankyouthankyouthankyou

    or as we say in micechat



  12. #27

    • Making my own Mousekteers
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arizona... too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: The FULL list of Disneyland Ticket Price Increases as of Sunday, August 2nd

    So I went to the quarterly summary of the Disney Co. earnings and looked through the summary of the Parks business. Here is my summation. Because WDW and Disneyland Paris have underperformed in attendance despite the cost reduction incentives, the company has decided to use Disneyland's solid attendance numbers to drive revenue for the parks division.
    The Parks division is down 19% Quarter end and down 28% Year to date. The cost reductions of WDW ate into the profit margin of the parks and failed to bolster attendance. I would anticipate an increase of merchandise and food pricing in Disney parks to accompany the ticket increase in Disneyland. If they are smart they will increase those in Florida not in Anaheim and keep those ticket prices down.




    Quote
    Parks and Resorts
    Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter decreased 9% to $2.8 billion and segment operating income decreased 19% to $521 million. Lower operating income was due to decreases at the Walt Disney World Resort, Disney Vacation Club, and Disneyland Paris. Operating income comparisons reflected the shift of the Easter holiday from the second quarter in fiscal 2008 to the third quarter in fiscal 2009.
    Domestic Operations
    Lower operating income at the Walt Disney World Resort was primarily due to decreased guest spending and lower corporate alliance income recognition, partially offset by lower costs. Decreased guest spending was driven by lower average daily hotel room rates and lower average ticket prices, which included the impact of promotional programs such as our Buy 4, Get 3 Free program. Lower costs reflected savings from cost mitigation activities and lower volume, partially offset by labor and other cost inflation. Lower operating income at Disney Vacation Club was primarily due to higher per unit cost of sales.


    So, my two cents is that they have no intention of using this for crowd control. As a matter of fact, they are probably praying that everyone will swallow these new prices so they can make money.

    As a point of personal observation, I don't know any pass holders that like to go to the park when it's crowded. I was a Disney Store Manager for 3 years and I've been an AP for 5 years when I wasn't working for the company. So in 8 years of being a card carrying Disney addict I've not met anyone who liked going when it's crowded. As a point of fact all the other addicts I know plan their vacations to go during the slowest times possible. Which is indicative of them bolstering slow time attendance. That is a good thing from Disney's perspective. Also, I think that the low price of the WDW AP makes the Disneyland AP look like highway Robbery. You get 3 more parks, 2 water parks and laser quest for $200 more. That's ridiculously cheap. Also, I'm not sure that you can even count DCA with all the construction that's going on right now. We'll be paying more for less park.

    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Disneyland Price Increase as of August 2nd, 2009
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
  2. Walt Disney World Price Increase as of August 2nd, 2009
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 09:49 AM
  3. Ticket price increases
    By kennygman77 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 01:27 AM
  4. [Previous] Disneyland Price Increases 11/13/06
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •