Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• The Darkness to Light

Ponyo (on the Cliff by the Sea) - Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Here's hoping I become the official thread for this movie on MiceChat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4pHg6Bf3eA"]YouTube - Ponyo Movie Trailer HD[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9s1Q6hePRU"]YouTube - Western Preview of "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" - [HD] trailer[/ame]

In any event...

Who is looking forward to this film?

I have to say that I've seen the Japanese cut of the film and was really excited until Disney Channel started playing their cut of the movie's theme song. Now I'm kind of on the fence and worried.

And just because I'm curious, who else has already seen the film (since it is about a year old in Japan)?
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: Ponyo (on the Cliff by the Sea) - Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

I've heard about this for a while and been waiting for it to come out. (Finally saw an official trailer on TV yesterday). Envious that you were able to see the Japanese cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Aren't Mini Cyrus and Jonas the main voices in this? Mini Cyrus is creepy.

• Drink life to the lees.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Yup... Noah Cyrus and Franky Jonas..... GAG!!! Cyrus's voice is so annoying to me. If you wanna see the interview of the two, it's on Disney Channel about every other commercial break.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchrulz View Post
    Yup... Noah Cyrus and Franky Jonas..... GAG!!! Cyrus's voice is so annoying to me. If you wanna see the interview of the two, it's on Disney Channel about every other commercial break.
    I saw it and was like "she sounds like a high pitched person on Helium." Not to sound mean, but... her voice just bugs me.

• Drink life to the lees.

I saw it and was like "she sounds like a high pitched person on Helium." Not to sound mean, but... her voice just bugs me.
    That's pretty much exactly what I thought. They're both just wannabes exactly like their siblings. Miley Cyrus is pretty much the worst thing that has ever happened to TWDC.

I've seen the movie. I'm excited for its stateside release, but I am not excited by the 'star-studded' voice cast. I may be the only person in the world who feels this way (Dreamworks certainly seems to think so), but I hate recognizing all the voices I hear in an animated movie. Matt Damon as Sosuke's father? Seriously? a 'Name' was necessary for this role?

Anyway, enough of my kvetching. I have no idea how the film may have been tweaked for an American/english-speaking audience, but the Japanese cut is fantastic, and even if the script were hacked to pieces, it would be worth it just for the animation. This is a good, good movie that's as beautiful and sweet on the inside as it is on the outside.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stitchrulz View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what I thought. They're both just wannabes exactly like their siblings. Miley Cyrus is pretty much the worst thing that has ever happened to TWDC.
    TWDC? I don't mind Miley. I watch the Disney Channel on during the day when I need to work the night (it makes me fall asleep.), but mini-Miley. There are pictures of her and her friend posing near a pole like "yay! We're fun!" And I don't think that's right.

• Im the fun mommy :)

I saw the previews and its not to my liking, not to say its not good, or others will not like it,just looks dumb to me
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Very insightful. Rather than offer bizarre critiques on a 9-year old I'll choose to lend some real perspectives on the film.

I'm seeing it tomorrow evening and will hopefully be able to share some thoughts on the actual film.

John Lasseter, Brad Lewis & Peter Sohn are the english version's directors so let's assume their casting choices received the same kind of intelligent consideration their previous Pixar efforts have. Looking forward to it.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disneyland Enthusiasts

there was a special screening at the El Capitan on July 27. John Lasseter and Hayao Miyazaki were there for the industry screening, but they took cell phones and cameras away before entering the theater. We liked Ponyo, and it was well received at the showing. Although they removed some of the content that was deemed culturally confusing for American audiences.
    A very gracious Cloris Leachman, one of the voices, stayed to take photos with fans afterward.

here are some photos of Disney's El Capitan theater, the marquee and cloris leachman.
    Special Events - FindingMickey.com
    http://findingmickey.com
    the hidden mickeys and details of disneyland resort

• Shablagoo!

One of the great things about the DVD releases is that they should include the japanese soundtrack with subtitles. So if the english bothers you, just change it.

I remember when Princess Mononoke was coming out without the Japanese voices and subtitles. A whole bunch of Miyazaki geeks (yours truely included) wrote a letter to Disney and they pushed back the release to add the vocal track. Sometimes letter writing campaigns do work.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I've seen the movie. I'm excited for its stateside release, but I am not excited by the 'star-studded' voice cast. I may be the only person in the world who feels this way (Dreamworks certainly seems to think so), but I hate recognizing all the voices I hear in an animated movie. Matt Damon as Sosuke's father? Seriously? a 'Name' was necessary for this role?
    The arguement is that Miyazaki's movies still need Hollywood star power to bring people in who haven't seen Spirited Away and believe the film is just "another anime."

Like the marketing tactic they are using with the Ponyo theme, I don't agree with it but can see why they did it in and understand their reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    John Lasseter, Brad Lewis & Peter Sohn are the english version's directors so let's assume their casting choices received the same kind of intelligent consideration their previous Pixar efforts have. Looking forward to it.
    If my obsessive listening to Lasseter's commentary tracks on the Toy Story DVDs is any indication, he probably casted Noah and Frankie based on their ability to emote pure innocence and wonder. It wouldn't surprise me if he actually went into the casting process looking for the same kind of child voice actors that he did for the redubbing of Totoro.

Quote Originally Posted by findingmickey View Post
    We liked Ponyo, and it was well received at the showing. Although they removed some of the content that was deemed culturally confusing for American audiences.
    I have to ask:
    Spoiler
    how were the brest feeding lines handled?
    That scene made me kind of worried, as it is kind of an unimportant scene but it also explains what happens to the town post-tsunami. As well as showing Ponyo using another one of her magical abilities in a very odd way.

Other than that, I'm curious as to what they would find culturally confusing. I mean, shipping towns and fishing industry ports are still common in America. Senior Centers are also part of the American conciousness. Same goes for light houses. I really cannot think about anying in that film that would be culturally confusing.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I watched the Japanese cut and thought that Ponyo was one of the cutest movies I've seen since Totoro. The voices, even if I couldn't understand them were perfect to me. And then I saw that trailer above... the kids don't sound as young anymore and sound less innocent.

There's also something about the japanese ponyo song that makes me giggle. I can't imagine a pop song replacing it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mrs. J. Depp

Definitely won't be seeing this.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast