Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

In Praise of Drive-Ins

Well, my wife and I went to a drive-in movie in Sacramento last night. They've been threatening to close the place forever, and we wanted to make sure we'd gotten there just once.

It was just delightful. Admittedly, we were in a convertible, so got to watch the movies under the stars, but there were a lot of families there, people in the beds of pickups, and it was just a glorious evening.

Of course, those of us here in our 50's and 60's no doubt remember being bundled up in our PJ's, playing in the little playground, and falling asleep in the back of the car; but it's still an experience that, if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: In Praise of Drive-Ins

I remember the drive-in fondly. Too bad the bad eggs have to ruin it for the rest of us.

• Minion

Blog Entries

We have a drive in here still in operation. In fact I was just there last Saturday for Harry Potter! I wouldn't make a habit out of drive-in ing, but it's fun every once in a while!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post

Of course, those of us here in our 50's and 60's no doubt remember being bundled up in our PJ's, playing in the little playground, and falling asleep in the back of the car; but it's still an experience that, if you have the opportunity, I highly recommend.
    Growing up as I did in LA and Orange County, they were just so much a part of life back in the day! Now, due to a variety of causes, there is just one...one...left in all of LA, Orange and Ventura County. One upon a time, there were dozens.

We'd go sometimes at least twice a week when I was a kid.

In our case it was the Whittier (before it was the Fiesta)...the Sundown...sometimes the La Mirada (if you travel the 5 to the DLR it's now a full-time swap meet near the Valley View exit)...the Buena Park/Lincoln next to Cypress College...the Anaheim (near where the Disney Outlet is now)...the Hi-Way 39..now a Wal-Mart...(sigh)...

Last time I went to a drive-in was in I believe 1998...the last year the 101 was open in Ventura. It's a Barnes And Noble/Kohl's strip mall now.

Aah, the memories.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Traveling somewhere or other in the past year, we ran across a drive-in and my son asked about it. Try explaining to a 5 or 6 year old how much fun a drive-in was and why there aren't any around any more.
    *sigh*

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    Traveling somewhere or other in the past year, we ran across a drive-in and my son asked about it. Try explaining to a 5 or 6 year old how much fun a drive-in was and why there aren't any around any more.
    *sigh*
    I can't imagine...

Another thing that Southern California drive-ins had that I don't think others did nearly as much...

those that were part of the Pacific theaters chain had the most beautiful and unique murals painted on the outside of the screen towers. They truly were works of art in many ways. Like the sailboats on the Hiway 39, and the orange on the, ahem Orange Drive-In...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rarely has a point

Blog Entries

I loved going to the Drive-Ins. The last movie(s) I saw in a Drive-In was Snow Day/Mission to Mars double feature I was about 10 at the time. You know that is a very odd double feature.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

A fellow by the name of Jess Garcia has had a website dedicated to Southern California's Drive-Ins...with all kinds of pics and history of all the dearly departed "ozoners".

I'd love to give you the link...but I just tried to access it, and it's been taken down for the time being at least.

• Infinitized!

There's only two left here in BC. One is in Surrey and is "new". The reason I put new in quotation marks is that a few years ago it had to relocate to a different property, so it's new.

The other drive-in is in Enderby, which is about a 45-60 min drive north from Kelowna on hwy 97. It operates during the summer months. I still haven't been to it.

• Disneyland Enthusiasts

wow... we've seen most of the San Diego & Chula Vista drive-ins closed and torn down in the past few years.

i think we might have one in imperial beach left.

almost eerie that as we talk about Drive-Ins shutting down, the website about them is down as well.
    http://findingmickey.com
    the hidden mickeys and details of disneyland resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by findingmickey View Post

almost eerie that as we talk about Drive-Ins shutting down, the website about them is down as well.
    I was thinking the same thing.

There are other drive-in related websites. But this one was the best about Southern California Drive-Ins, including ones in San Diego County by the way.

• 60 Dazzling Years!

We went to drive-ins fairly often when I was a kid. I think the first movie I saw at the drive-in was the first JAWS film.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

We have about seven left; I recently made a trip report about one. We even have a website so people can check times!

They are fun, I totally agree!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Senior Minion

The one in Sacramento is really run down. It needs to be paved, badly (it's sort of like the Sea of Tranquility), and the screens haven't been painted in ages (it's like the old movies with the lines in the prints).

Still, the line to get in still went down the street and around the corner. If the company that owned it (Century) were to sink just a little money into it, I bet it would be a gold mine.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

There's the Van Buren Drive-In in Corona right off of the 91 at Van Buren. It's $5 per person, for a double feature. The first movie is usually a new release while the second billed is usually a little older - like a few weeks, not old old. I used to love going there with my daughter in the summer - we'd pick up pizza or some other dinner item, bring some chairs so we could sit outside, and set up camp. It's one of my favorite memories from summertime. I've heard for years now that they were going to close it down, but it's still there, and still open.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast