Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bambi DVD

• Minion

Bambi DVD

Undoubtedly many of us are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the cleaned up DVD release of Bambi. I bought Snow White two years ago and was simply amazed at the pristine appearance of it. Even the texture of the paper used for the background paintings was noticeable. I doubt if the film ever looked that good, even in its intital release, and hope we have a similar experience in store for us with this latest classic.

Out of all the Disney animated films, the first four are at the top of my list as being the very best. Story telling, animation and rich detail were superb. There doesn't seem to be much discussion in MC on this subject except for likes and dislikes and I think most of those posts have to do with script more than film making in general.

• That's Hawt

Well, it looks like they did indeed clean it up alot, I will probablly just buy it because Bambi was my favorite movie as a little tyke
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Minion

I'm getting my copy tues.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I hear the restoration looks so real, you can almost feel the breeze coming out of Thumper's little cottontail! Make me twitterpated!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• All you need is LOVE

I pre ordered it from disneydirect.com I cant wait. For it too come in the mail.It looks so good.

• All you need is LOVE

I will also be getting the lithos and stuffed tos and pin. From the disney site it says

The forest has come alive!

Walt Disney's ''Bambi'' is now digitally restored beyond its original brilliance and available for the first time ever on DVD! Experience the wonder of the critically acclaimed coming-of-age story that has thrilled and entertained generations of fans. A grand adventure full of humor and heart, ''Bambi'' features the most beloved animated characters of all time -- Bambi, the wide-eyed fawn, his playful pal thumper, the lovable skunk Flower and wise friend Owl.

Pre-order by February 28, 2005 and get our special Bonus Lithographs! Plus, add our collectible Bambi and Flower Mini Plush & Pin Set available exclusively with online pre-order.*

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I'm very excited for teh release but I'm also very nervous about the restoration. I haven't been happy with all of the Disney DVD restorations (esp. Mary Poppins and Beauty & the Beast). I'm hoping BAMBI will have gotten the care and attention that it deserves.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Minion

Ultimatedisney.com has listed a review for the special edition Bambi DVD as well as the upcoming Incredibles DVD. The site also has a list of all the upcoming Disney films to be released for the next two years! Check it out...

www.ultimatedisney.com

• Minion

Lifted this off the DVD Journal website. Overall it sounds like a very well done disc to own.

Video:
    The picture and sound have both been cleaned, restored, remixed, and remastered to THX standards, and both audiovisual aspects of the film now belie the film's age. Because each frame has been sharpened up and color-matched to something near its original intensity, the picture often looks as vibrant and fresh as a new production. And you'll find nary a scratch, a line, a spot, or a blemish anywhere. However, the original print was never particularly bright or flashy. The forest scenes, with their darkening shadows, were meant to look subdued, and that's the way they come off. The only thing I found slightly distracting was a thin veil, like unto the reflection of grain, that that seems to hang over several scenes, including the opening sequence. It is not entirely off-putting, but it is noticeable. Whether Disney intended selected scenes to look this way intentionally I do not know.

Audio:
    The sound for English is available either in the film's original monaural or in a new Dolby Digital 5.1 home-theater remix. In DD 5.1 the audio engineers have done a remarkable job opening up the front channels and producing a smooth, well-balanced output. There is still not a very wide sound stage, and the rear channels are fed hardly any information at all, but looked at more pragmatically, the soundtrack no longer seems in any way like something over sixty years old.

Extras:
    Disc one contains the feature film; the mono and enhanced soundtracks; English, French, and Spanish spoken languages; English captions for the hearing impaired; and twenty-five scene selections. In addition, there is a seventy-minute documentary, "Bambi: Inside Walt's Story Meetings," hosted by actor Patrick Stewart. It seems that Uncle Walt kept audio transcriptions of all the story meetings he had with his fellow filmmakers, and they were recently uncovered in the Disney archives. The audio is presented along with film clips, storyboards, and still photographs to provide a fairly comprehensive behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film. Finally, there are Sneak Peeks at other Disney titles; and a preview of disc two (just to remind folks to visit it, I suppose).

Disc two contains a ton of further supplementary materials. The first and most important for me is the section called "Backstage Disney," which begins with the documentary, "The Making of Bambi: A Prince Is Born." It's fifty-three minutes long and divided into six chapters: "Telling the Tale," "Drawn to Nature," "Giving Voice to Animals," "Impressions of the Forest," "Nature's Music," and "Back to the Beginning." Amazingly, some of the original actors and artists who worked on "Bambi" so long ago are still alive and share with us their memories of the filmmaking, as do many of today's top Disney animation producers. For instance, Donnie Dunigan, the voice of the young Bambi, tells us he was reluctant to admit his participation in the film to acquaintances when he later joined the U.S. Marine Corps. John Culhane, author and film historian, sums up the "Bambi" allure succinctly when he says it's about "life and struggle and death and rebirth."

In addition, "Backstage Disney" contains a series of featurettes that are pretty much self-explanatory. "Restoring Bambi," five minutes, explains the frame-by-frame cleanup of the print; "The Legacy Continues: A Sneak Peek at the All-New Bambi Movie," four minutes, is a promo for the new, upcoming "Bambi"; "Disney Time Capsule: 1942, The Year of Bambi," is four minutes long, showing what else was going on at the time; "The Art of Bambi" is a series of still galleries, with or without audio commentary; "Tricks of the Trade" is seven minutes; "Inside the Disney Archives" is eight minutes; and the "The Old Mill" is a 1937 animated short that helped the Disney artists create some the effects used in "Bambi." This part of things concludes with an original "Bambi" theatrical trailer.

Of next greatest importance to me were two, very brief deleted scenes, "Winter Grass" and "Bambi's First Snow," both done up in storyboards only, with introduction. Then, there are the usual Disney "Games and Activities" that kids will enjoy. "The Forest Adventure" game takes you through the woods to stop here and there and play little games with your remote control. If you tire and want to move on, there is an index of all the games to help you get quickly to the next one. After that is a DisneyPedia segment on "Bambi's Forest Friends," about four minutes on the real-life habits of deer, rabbits, and skunks. Next is a "Personality Profile: What's Your Season?" Here you answer a series of questions, and the Disney prognosticators tell you what season you are inclined to and what your personality is like. I'm a spring person, it appears. OK by me. "Disney Storytime" features "Thumper Goes Exploring," which can be read along or read on one's own. And, finally, there is a "Virtual Forest," a kind of screensaver that shows a woodsy scene passing through the seasons, with appropriate sound effects. It's quite lovely and all and apparently repeats endlessly, but it's literally like watching grass grow.

The two discs come packaged in a slim-line keep case, further enclosed in a colorful, glossy slipcover with a front that opens up to further information. Within the case is a chapter listing, plus one of those typical Disney road maps that help you navigate all the byways of the bonus materials.

Parting Thoughts:
    One can argue that "Bambi" could have profited from more extended characterizations or a more involved plot line, but such contentions seem fatuous in light of the film's continuing success. "Bambi" is calculated to delight the eye and pull at the heartstrings, which it does with consummate ease. Its magic has worked for over six decades, and I daresay it will work for six more before it's given some kind of holographic update that will extend its appeal well into the twenty-second century and beyond. Good things just keep on being good.

• Senior Minion

In the mail!!!Tuesday!!! I can't wait!!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Practically Perfect

I'm probobly going to have to wait until MAY to get it for my birthday! *SOBS!* oh well, let me know how good it is

Just picked it up this morning...Lowry Digital has outdone themselves with this restoration... it's simply stunning...

Lots of extras... right now I'm going through Walt's Story Meetings... what an amazing concept, rather than having running commentary they have vocal actors recreate the Bambi story meetings while the movie is running.

Really fantastic disc so far!

Yancy

• Practically Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by gallandro
    Just picked it up this morning...Lowry Digital has outdone themselves with this restoration... it's simply stunning...

Lots of extras... right now I'm going through Walt's Story Meetings... what an amazing concept, rather than having running commentary they have vocal actors recreate the Bambi story meetings while the movie is running.

Really fantastic disc so far!

Yancy
    I Can't Wait to see it! Happy Bambi DVD day everyone!!

• Zapp's Minion :D

I'm going to buy when I go to DL next week, so I can get the 10% off discount

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    We're probably get it for the boys for Easter. *I* want it more than them. My nursery as a baby was Bambi and my "special blankey" was Bambi I heart Bambi

On a side note, I'm stuck watching the Spongebob Movie today

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast