View Poll Results: Blu-ray: Yay or Nay?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

20 54.05%
  • Nay

17 45.95%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I'm made of money and free time...

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Fortuosity!

Re: Blu-ray boycott?

Quote Originally Posted by mickhyperion View Post
    In order for investing in Blu-Ray to make any sense, you have to have a widescreen HD television. Watching Blu-Ray on a standard definition TV is no improvement over watching a DVD. So until most people can afford the $700-1000 minimum it takes to buy a new HD television just to enjoy sharper resolution, I don't think there will be a widespread jump into Blu-Ray.

By the time a majority of people have bought high definition TV's, all of the other HD options including online downloads for rent and purchase, on demand, etc. will be such competition for the Blu-Ray format that I think it will have a difficult time dominating the market, even then.
    About 1/3 of US homes already have an HDTV, how long to you think it'll take for that number to go to 1/2 and up? Especially with the switch to digital broadcasting, the limited number of standard def TVs begin made and the lower prices of HDTV sets (plus monitors, ipods, portable players etc) it shouldn't be that long.

Online downloads are BS, they're only 720p HD and not the full 1080p HD of Blu-ray. Pinocchio itself was some 23GB (!) and that's an 88 movie. What computer has the space to store all your films even with an external hard drive? Never mind the bonus content, or anybody who doesn't want to watch a movie on their computer. People will of course still download movies for convince but they'll never get Blu-ray quality stuff or fully loaded special editions from any torrent.

A recent test done with an audience to see if they would notice the difference between itunes HD (720p) and Blu-ray (1080p) without knowing which is which and the unanimous consensus was that Blu-ray was better.

Sales have been increasing all the time worldwide and prices are coming down faster than most people think. Wal-Mart already had $99 player for Father's Day so how long will it take for others to drop in price? The introductory price for the PS3 slim was $299 and it'll come down too with time.

And since Blu-ray players are backward compatible, what would be the point in manufacturing DVD only players if you could buy a Blu-ray player for $100 at any local media/video store?

Blu-ray will pick up in pace and eventually replace DVD in terms of production. Nobody will have to get rid of their DVDs and never use them again, but there will be a point when home video companies will stop making standard definition discs and just choose the newer format like Lasedisc begin replaced with DVD.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I have a blu-ray player/recorder in my computer. It's a 'media' type of thing where I can also input the cable, out put to the tv, etc. We've also got a 52" HDTV. Once you've watched a blu-ray you'll know that there is a vast difference. The picture is phenomenal and the larger the tv, the more breathtaking it is. I say this only because if you've invested in a huge screen, you're missing the potential if you are using it with standard tv or standard dvds. But the great thing is, you CAN play standard dvds on a blu-ray.

I haven't bought a strictly blu-ray player yet, but maybe around the holidays. I'm expecting to see some very cheap players on Black Friday.

Standard dvd sales have been stagnating for some time and the format probably will eventually die.

• Hall Of Promise

No boycott from me. My girlfriend and I are planning on getting a new HDTV later next year (maybe this year but unlikely). We are keeping our eye on the new LCD LED TV technology from Samsung, which has really great contrast ratios, very vivid color depths, and on top of that is very very thin.

I have an Xbox 360 and she plans on getting a PS3. I'm glad she waited since the new price cut and PS3 Slim just came out. The PS3 is a great Blu-ray player with great 7.1 surround sound options and the Xbox 360 will soon have On Demand 1080p movies available for rent instantly. The amount of HD content between the two of these consoles will be unbelievable. No need for us to buy a Blu-ray player unless we get another HD monitor, which probably won't happen for a while.... maybe.

So why would I want to boycott Blu-ray? If one doesn't have an HDTV, they can simply continue to enjoy standard DVDs. But when the opportunity comes to get that HDTV and a Blu-ray player, why would one want to hold back or boycott them? Blu-ray players can also play standard DVDs as well, so no need to repurchase their library, unless they are keen on playing everything in full HD.

Blu-Ray is awesome - I have a nice HDTV and a PS3, so I make all new purchases in the blu-ray format. The difference is really astounding - I'm a bit spoiled. Part of what's great, as already mentioned, is that it's backward compatible, so I don't need to replace my expansive library which can still look a bit better than before. Sounds like a win to me.

People who decide to "boycott" are just looking for attention. If you don't want to do blu-ray, fine, you have a few years before it becomes the dominant home video format.

• I'm not really here

If someone can figure out how to manufacture OLED on the size and scale needed for TVs that will REALLY push the plasma and LCD tv market prices down. There is an 11" OLED panel out from Sony that costs $2000.00. Samsung showed a 50" OLED panel at CES this year. OLED is even better than Plasma and LCD as it is generating the light itself, it is insanely flexible and you can cut it without destroying the rest of the OLED's ability to provide picture. It's also very expensive. But it has a contrast ration of 1,000,000:1 (meaning how black do the blacks look and how white are the whites. Bigger the ration the better the colors will look). Most current flat panel TVs have a contrast ratio of about 50,000:1. OLED is a few years off probably, but as more and more manufacturers start producing it, it will start to fill the upper end part of the market and plasma/lcd/projection technologies will be come cheaper.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    I was just wondering if I'm the only supporter here of those who are not at all interested in planned obsolescence and transferring our movies over again. I will gladly wait until Novermber for the DVD of Snow White, rather than purchase a Blu-ray/DVD combo. What are other people's thoughts? Do you even think those holding out will be effective?
    Well, I've been buying the Blu-ray/DVD combo packs just to get the digital copies for my iPod. So now I have a lot of blu-rays but I don't have a player, so I'm just saving them. I think the time is near when DVDs will become like videos are to us, and blu-ray discs like dvds are to us, but right now my family can't afford one. We'd rather get a twenty dollar dvd player than a 70+ dollar blu-ray player.

depicts a space for "BETA", another with the legend "VHS", and a last one space says "Reserved for DVD"
    Never mind holding off on Blu-ray - I'm still using Betamax! I still have an awful lot of stuff which doesn't exist in any other format (including hours of WDW video from the early 1980's) and I haven't got around to converting to DVD. I need to get moving on that; Some 30-year old tapes have stopped playing.

I'm holding off on Blu-ray until we have a television capable of displaying the sharper picture (maybe Christmas). Right now, I can't imagine there would be much improvement over existing DVD's.

Regarding backward compatibility, while Blu-ray players can of course play a DVD, you don't get the benefits of Blu-ray unless you also upgrade the disk. No sense buying an expensive Blu-ray player if you are just going to keep using the same movies.

Finally, VHS/DVD backward compatibility was effectively achieved with VHS/DVD combo players. Really its just a VHS machine and DVD player in the same (external) box, of course, but much like Blu-ray while you could keep using your old movies on tape, to see benefits from purchase of the new player, you also had to buy new DVD movies. You have to upgrade formats - buy the same movie over again - eventually, or else be in the same boat with me soon: a shiny new Blu-ray player and HD television, hooked up to an aging VCR.

• Minion

We bought a 1080HD tv a couple of months ago, and the gods smiled on me, because the second day we had the TV, the DVD player went out on us. So we bought a bluray... so glad we did. The films looks SO GOOD on this TV with high resolution Bluray discs. I think it even makes the regular DVD's look a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ... and it would REALLY help if companies would allow an exchange program for the DVD's to upgrade to Blu. Say $10 per DVD towards the cost of the Blu disc. But of course, they aren't going to do that.
    They're doing it for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs if you're a member of the Disney Movie Rewards.
    Snow White Coupon Offer
    "I Only Hope That We Never Lose Sight Of One Thing,
    That It Was All Started By A Mouse." - Walt Disney
    http://www.StartedByAMouse.com

• Differently clued

Blu-ray and I have a love/hate relationship. I like the picture quality, but the lack of a final version of the product has been a huge pain in my butt. I got a Samsung player right after the format was released (I review movies for work) and it has been a pile of garbage most of the time. It's not easy to upgrade the firmware, it still won't play certain films, and it is so slooooooooow. I've had movies take over ten minutes to boot up.

I now use a PS3 for my Blu-ray playing and it's world's better. It's easy to upgrade the firmware and it's much faster.

As for the movies themselves, most of them are world's better than the DVD releases, but you get what you pay for. I've picked up Terminator 2 and Total Recall for $10 each, and they looked like they were taped from a DVD that was taped from a VHS.

Another feature that I like is that it up-converts all of my DVD's to make them as clear as possible on my HDTV. Certain things I've watched, like Caprica looked pretty good. One thing I wouldn't mind seeing on Blu-ray though, is a push to put TV show collections all on one disc. They wouldn't have to be hi-def, but having the entire run of Lost on one disc would be a real space saver.
    "Do it for me then. Your gaming buddies are going to be there too. It will be good for you kids to go out and blow the stink off yourselves for one night."

"Fine. For you. And for the eradication of stink."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    IMPORTANT POINTS:

• Blu-ray players will play your current DVD library. You don't have to upgrade your DVDs for Blu-ray discs.
    • Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ
    Important counterpoints:
    I already have a DVD player.
    I already have DVDs.
    My DVD player won't play Blu-Ray discs.
    Some of those cheap BluRay players are cheap in quality, too.
    My friend has a BluRay player (Playstation3), BluRay discs, and a HiDef TV. If I really have to see something in that format, I'll go over there. (And yes, it is quite impressive.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith157 View Post
    As for the movies themselves, most of them are world's better than the DVD releases, but you get what you pay for. I've picked up Terminator 2 and Total Recall for $10 each, and they looked like they were taped from a DVD that was taped from a VHS.
    Important point:
    The $10 bin contains very bad transfers. Often times, it contains only the cropped, fit-to-old-TV version.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I started buying Blu-ray when i got the PS3. I LOVE it.

Not sure how much of a difference it will make for Snow White, but things like Wall-E and Earth are BRILLIANT.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Not sure how much of a difference it will make for Snow White, but things like Wall-E and Earth are BRILLIANT.
    Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty look great on Blu-ray. This'll sound geeky, but I get blown away when I see the artists' brush strokes in the backgrounds!!! It makes the artwork…art!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Originally Posted by mycroft16
    IMPORTANT POINTS:

• Blu-ray players will play your current DVD library. You don't have to upgrade your DVDs for Blu-ray discs.
    • Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

Important counterpoints:
    I already have a DVD player.
    I already have DVDs.
    My DVD player won't play Blu-Ray discs.
    Some of those cheap BluRay players are cheap in quality, too.
    My friend has a BluRay player (Playstation3), BluRay discs, and a HiDef TV. If I really have to see something in that format, I'll go over there. (And yes, it is quite impressive.)
    You beat me to the punch.

Also Technology does not sell technology. Most people buy convenience, not features. Most people don't care about bonus content. Most people don't care about Letterboxing. Most people don't care about 420, 720 or 1080i.

What is selling all those HDTV's isn't the HD, it's that they can mount a TV like a picture frame on the wall easily for the first time in history. In fact I'm downsizing from a 52" rear projection HDTV to a 42" LCD flat screen HDTV. Why? Because I can free up a lot of space (convenience).

Blu-Ray is DOA, as more and more people are streaming films and TV shows on their laptops (there is that convenience thing again) for cheap or free.

I just spent 6 days touring the country. I loaded up my iPod with movies, and with a simple cable that plugs into the headphone jack I hooked it up to the TV's in the Hotels so I could watch them. This has forced the studios to include Digital Copies on their DVD's, something people actually want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast