View Poll Results: Blu-ray: Yay or Nay?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

20 54.05%
  • Nay

17 45.95%
  • Doesn't matter to me. I'm made of money and free time...

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Senior Minion

Re: Blu-ray boycott?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    I was just wondering if I'm the only supporter here of those who are not at all interested in planned obsolescence and transferring our movies over again. I will gladly wait until Novermber for the DVD of Snow White, rather than purchase a Blu-ray/DVD combo. What are other people's thoughts? Do you even think those holding out will be effective?
    I voted nay nay on Blu-ray. As a rabid videophile since Beta days, I love the spec -- no doubt about it, super-sweet! But still, even as much as I'm not a 480 fan, after the last few years of executive hubris driving yet another idiotic format war, my only wish is that the House of Blu erupts in runny pox.

I dunno if we abstainers will make a bit of difference, but I'm happy to see Blu-ray sales aren't exactly rocketing off the charts and rendering DVD extinct.

As one of those guys who gets AV tech-advice calls from friends, family and co-workers, I'm proud to advise them "no" on Blu-ray. Unless you have a high end home theater and/or money is no object, get a good upres DVD player HDMI'd to a good HD TV. It won't give you the retinalgasms of Blu-ray, but IMO it's good enough until the next format war starts.

And if you don't think that'll happen anytime soon, I've got a few thousand LaserDiscs to sell you.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

I'm not holding out on Blu-Ray, nor am I boycotting it, things are just in flux in my life right now and it's not the right time for me to either increase my already-large DVD collection or invest in Blu-Ray (which I am interested in doing, preferably when the price comes down a wee bit more, and of course after I purchase an HDTV). I love the technology but it's a matter of time and place, and affordability, that's all. In due time, I'll have several BR titles. I'm just glad that BR players are backwards-compatible with DVDs.

• Infinitized!

I'm caving in and buying a Blu-Ray disc tomorrow at Future Shop. Only because its a combo pack and it end up being cheaper than the DVD. I'm going to pick-up DisneyNature's earth because...
    Blu-Ray: $26.99 - $10 coupon from Disney Movie Rewards email = $16.99
    DVD: $23.99 - $5 coupon from Disney Movie Rewards email = $18.99
    First time I encountered where the Blu is cheaper than the DVD.

I still don't have the equipment to play Blu though, and can't afford it right now.

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I'm caving in and buying a Blu-Ray disc tomorrow at Future Shop. Only because its a combo pack and it end up being cheaper than the DVD. I'm going to pick-up DisneyNature's earth because...
    Blu-Ray: $26.99 - $10 coupon from Disney Movie Rewards email = $16.99
    DVD: $23.99 - $5 coupon from Disney Movie Rewards email = $18.99
    First time I encountered where the Blu is cheaper than the DVD.

I still don't have the equipment to play Blu though, and can't afford it right now.
    The Blu-ray for A Room With a View at HMV was nearly $10 less than the DVD, and that did not involve any coupon/discount. Bonnie and Clyde this summer at Best Buy was $16! The deals are out there for sure, but really rare for Disney titles (the most expensive ones form any studio).
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Bonnie and Clyde DVD is less than $5 at Wal Mart. A third of the price you are boasting about of the Blue Ray.

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Bonnie and Clyde DVD is less than $5 at Wal Mart. A third of the price you are boasting about of the Blue Ray.

Oh aren't you just amazing. I'm pointing out that the Blu-ray in comparisons to other titles offered on the format is not expensive at all and last time I checked $16 wasn't exactly breaking the bank. Good for Wal-Mart for offering the DVD for cheap, but last time I checked it's not a digi-book release and not in HD (care to look up the difference in PQ on DVDbeaver?). Finally the price is in Canadian dollars so it would be even less in the US.

I'm sure you could get it on VHS on ebay for cheap or watch it for free on TCM, but you point doesn't add to the discussion and just makes you look like a cheap jerk. If your point was to make it clear that anybody looking to own the movie will buy the DVD for convenience sake than perhaps you should think about who would actually want to own that particular movie and who the Blu-ray is marketed too. Last time I checked it wasn't to the "Suberbad" crowd.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

I love Blu-ray. I have a Blu-ray player and HDTV and about 40 Blu-ray movies. Some people are happy with Blu-ray and that is good and other people are happy with Dvd and that is also good.

I love Blu-ray and I love Dvd and I love VHS. I also love it when a Blu-ray and Dvd comes with a Digital copy of a movie. To me I see all of this as progress. Years ago Laserdisc came out and with Laserdisc you could watch a movie anytime you want and this was progress at work. Later VHS and Beta came out and this was progress at work again. VHS really started to take over and this was progress at work. Years later progress was at work again because Dvd came out. Dvd really took over and this was progress at work again. Later Blu-ray and HD DVD came out and progress was at work again. Blu-ray took over HD DVD and in time it might take over DVD and again this is progress at work. Later something may take over Blu-ray and Dvd and that will be progress at work. If something does take over Blu-ray and Dvd something else might take over whatever might take over Blu-ray and Dvd and progress will be at work again. Also sometimes a Blu-ray and a Dvd will come with a Digital copy of a movie and this is also progress at work. I love progress. I enjoy seeing progress at work.

Some people are happy with Blu-ray and that is good. Other people are happy with Dvd and that is also good. Other people might still be watching VHS and/or Laserdisc and/or Beta and that is also good.
    Last edited by tiny tim; 09-04-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123