Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel (merged threads)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    It's amazing how many Marvel fallowers are so angry about this. They see Disney as just some kiddie company that has magical theme parks and releases animated movies. However, I see the same thing (to a much smaller extent) over on the Disney boards. Some Disney fans only see Marvel as just some little comic book company that only appeals to little boys. Both are much farther from the truth.

I see lots of potential in this move. I see Disney as an entertainment company looking to expand. I still would like to see the details of this acquisition and where Disney will go with this. But I feel it will be similar to how they purchased Pixar and will primarily let them do their own thing under their own decisions.

I agree with you, i think people do not see the big picture and the oppurtunity that will bring to both companies. This is huge and will benefit both side

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    And of course THAT'S all that matters...

PUH-LEEZE. The Disney parks have been the company's mainstay during tough times at the box office. And they became that way BEFORE the acquisition-crazy bean counters took over. I don't buy the idea that the way to expand the company's brand is to infest it with ill-fitting characters that in no way reflect Walt's legacy. Buying other people's characters that don't reflect the Disney magic is Eisner's legacy. And I thought Iger was better than that...
    you are not looking at the overall picture though. The amount of money that Disney will be receiving from the contracts that are in play with Sony, Universal and Paramount alone is all money that eventually gets put into Disney's portfolio. Where do you think they get money from when they build those 100million dollar attractions and investments like the 1.2 billion for DCA.

You don't just run a company on faries and princess for many years similar arguements were thrown around when Disney partnered with other companies 20th century fox for character use in theme parks, MGM studios, Pixar, Amblin universal and other major studios. At the end they all gave Disney an edge over other entertainment companies and also produced some of the most praised attractions.

It would have been interesting if deals like these were put aside and ignored because they do not fit all the requirements of the "Disney Magic". I wonder what it would have been liked if Disney had been taken over by Comcast in 2004 if it wasn't for some clever investments that gave it an edge
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-31-2009 at 08:56 PM.

I think that Dsiney made a good business decision by acquiring Marvel. They will easy make back the 4 billion over the next decade or so. But I don't see Marvel charcters fitting in at Disneyland. I'm not totally against Marvel characters in Disenyland(Star Tours and Indiana Jones have worked), but they would fit better in A) DCA in Hollywood Studios or B) the always rumored 3rd gate.

• Banned User

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    cool superheroes would be better than a spitting Stitch, comedic monsters, futuristic battery operated toys, a twenty year old 3d music video starring a pop icon dressed as a captain and the worlds largest best buy that you need to have a theme park ticket to go into. LOL
    So why do you even bother with Disney?
    Sounds like you pretty much hate it.

• Minion

The only thing is how i hate these boards jump to conclusions. We dont even know the deals of the trade. i have hopes that this is for nothing more then to bring more money to the CEOs. do i care no thats not my problem to worry about. If you want to get worked up about the CEOs paycheck then your adding grey hairs to your head that are pointless.

If i see a marvel character in the park i would be pissed and not very happy but until then ill wait and hold my hopes. The addition is a nice one it opens the market up for disneyland. Now they have money pouring in from the babies in the pooh characters, the girls in the princess makeovers and now the boys with cars and every marvel superhero. Whats wrong with that. And i hate the word exploit..."oh they are going to exploit the characters" what do you want them to just leave them alone and do nothing? If that was the logic that you would have no cool spiderman ride in IOA or anything else that requires marketing designing imaginering and all; and some feel this is exploiting.

they can count all the beans they want but it makes no difference to us here on the boards and in the real world. Disney could buy every piece of the pie and make them all what they want to but i gurantee thats not going to stop half the people on the board and every other disneyland goer from still going to the parks. To me they opened up their market, they can range from familes to girls to boys to toddlers and now to teenagers. what is wrong with opening up your opportunities to your market?

Just wait to read the whole deal and see what it really intitles. Four billion dollars to disney is nothing on a franchise as marvel they will make that money back in the sale of their tomatoes alone.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    So why do you even bother with Disney?
    Sounds like you pretty much hate it.

no, my first visit was actually while my mother was pregnant and have basically been going since the age of five and that was several decades ago. I have three rooms dedicated to all kinds of memorabilia, I know many people that work in many levels of Disney. One of my best friends father actually spent many hours at Walt's house and could be seen in photos riding the train with him and i own several thousand shares of Disney.

So no i do not hate it, i just look at things realisticly and know that Disney is an entertainment company that occasionally needs to expand its portfolio far beyond Pixie Dust and Disney magic.
    That does not mean that they still can not continue to respect the values that the company was built on. The walt Disney company is not the little company it was when Walt was alive.
    Even then he saw when there were oppurtunities that eventually helped him expand on his dreams.
    Last edited by Baloo; 08-31-2009 at 09:49 PM.

• Senior Minion

That does not mean that they still can not continue to respect the values that the company was built on.
    For at least the last 15 years, the Walt Disney Company has given no evidence beyond specious lip service that it respects the values that the company was built on.

...i own several thousand shares of Disney.
    Then you're going to be a happy camper indeed when this acquisition goes through.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-31-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

^however Mr. Wiggins who do you blame? The world we live in or the people running the company. Nobody will ever be walt because nobody has the chance to build the first themepark and the first of its kind. Nobody has the opportunity to put their name before land. They only strive to get by their 8-5 and make the most money to retire in the aspens with their family. Its the world we live in nobody cares anymore especially when they are at the top, and especially when from the normal perspective of the common guest everything seems fine and dandy.

Hope I was helpful!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    ^however Mr. Wiggins who do you blame? The world we live in or the people running the company. Nobody will ever be walt because nobody has the chance to build the first themepark and the first of its kind. Nobody has the opportunity to put their name before land. They only strive to get by their 8-5 and make the most money to retire in the aspens with their family. Its the world we live in nobody cares anymore especially when they are at the top, and especially when from the normal perspective of the common guest everything seems fine and dandy.
    Blame? Where does the concept of blame apply here?

Responsibility, yes. Blame, no.

Under Eisner and Iger, Disney is what it is. Customers by the millions love what they have to sell, and prove it every day by spending their money on it. It's their mutual responsibility to enter into a business arrangement that they think is fair between them -- or not, as they wish.

Whether I personally think it's a ripoff or not is irrelevant to the relationship between Disney as seller and its millions of customers as buyers.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    No offense, but those statements are not even remotely related to historical reality, past or present.
    really bad typo on my part

• Senior Minion

^ Oops. Left out "not?"

EDIT: You fixed yours, I fixed mine.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-31-2009 at 10:11 PM.

- Neil Gabler

The walt Disney company is not the little company it was when Walt was alive. Even then he saw when there were oppurtunities that eventually helped him expand on his dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    For at least the last 15 years, the Walt Disney Company has given no evidence beyond specious lip service that it respects the values that the company was built on.
    No offense, but those statements are not even remotely related to historical reality, past or present.

sorry big typo on my part also I do think that the company still respects the values that the company was built on which was mainly to create properties that would entertain families.
    It has just evolved to more than fairytales and pixie dust

• Senior Minion

And i hate the word exploit..."oh they are going to exploit the characters" what do you want them to just leave them alone and do nothing?
    I know what you mean. Best get used to it, though. We're going to be hearing it a lot:

Disney CFO Tom Staggs said the company would begin to see incremental revenue gains from the deal in 2012. “As the current distributions in place sunset, and as we look to exploit the library of [Marvel] characters more broadly [i.e. theme parks] by leveraging Disney’s infrastructure, that’s when the revenue synergies can really start to kick in,” Staggs said.
    Source: Home Media Magazine 8-31-09

By marrying the X-Men and the Incredible Hulk with Snow White, Wall-E and Hannah Montana, the entertainment giant calculates it will be able to exploit a powerful stable of characters across movies, comic books, television channels, licensed merchandise and theme parks.

...Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger said the company could mine Marvel's properties for rides at its parks in California, France, Hong Kong and elsewhere.
    Source: Wall Street Journal 8-31-09

"And we believe there's further opportunity to mine Marvel's rich intellectual property portfolio."
    -- Robert Iger
    Source: Chicago Tribune 8-31-09

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I just dont know where they think of putting marvel heroes. I mean i really do enjoy marvel land at IOA (or whatever it is). what do they mean mine, that could either be that they will find out what they are using for ride systems or that plop! here is spiderman in adventureland. I really dont want that. Build them a third gate dont market it as disney per say and just reap the benefits its what i say.

Hope I was helpful!

• Senior Minion

I just dont know where they think of putting marvel heroes.
    Q: Where does Disney put $4 billion worth of Marvel characters?

A: Anywhere they think it'll make their $4 billion back.

- Neil Gabler

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast