Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel (merged threads)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousepoop View Post

I missed last nights episode. Are the Disney/Marvel clips on YouTube?
    The whole episode is on hulu.com.

Also featured were The Incredible Duck and my favorite...

Thingerella
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

• Hall Of Promise

It's funny to note that Disney just recently acquired a third of Hulu.com, along with NBC Universal and News Corp each owning a third.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

• Banned User

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Disney is a business, not an artist commune, and I believe the Marvel acqusition is a good one.

It wouldn't have made sense to buy it years ago, because they had no proven blockbusters, and their cash flow was based on comic book sales. But now they have proven hits on their hands, an expanding merchandise wing, and hit theme park attractions.

I believe 4billion is a good price for an asset that will have many years ahead
    I know Disney is a business. I wish they ran it as a much smarter business, instead of playing Johnny come lately all the time.

By the time they realized that digital animation was the place to be, they had to cough up a gut wrenching $7.4 billion to buy Pixar, a studio that makes a whopping one movie per year. By the time they realized that super heroes were hot, they had to cough up another $4 billion. And then heaven help them (and us, the fans) if it turns out that the latest hot thing was pretty much played out by the time they opened the chequebook. By the time Spider Man 5 comes out, the public may well be tired of super heroes.

Why are these business geniuses never ahead of the curve? Why do they pay ridiculous sums to buy in late in the game, and then plead poverty when it comes to improving their exisiting assets, like the theme parks?

As usual, we, the fans, will get shafted for their lack of vision, as has happened many times already. How many times have they cut budgets to the parks, while planning their next multi billion dollar acquisition? When it comes to making up for their business blunders, they have billions; when it comes to creating greatness and focusing on their core products, they plead poverty.

It wouldn't have made sense to buy Marvel years ago? They could have picked up all those character for a song years ago, then started making their own super hero movies. Letting others show them the way, then spending huge to buy in, is bad business. Where is the spirit of entrepreneurship in this company? Buried with Walt.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Disney has to buy when its aquisitions are being sold...

on superhero universes and in-house and Disney

"There was actually a mandate from Disney to create an action universe on the level of DC or Marvel comics. Eisner had considered buying Marvel Comics at one point for Disney and decided not to. So there was this creative summit And we were told to make Gargoyles the heart of an action universe, the same way that The Fantastic Four really launched the Marvel Universe."

Interview: Greg Weisman Talks 'Gargoyles' - ComicMix news

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Disney has to buy when its aquisitions are being sold...
    Ummmm.... Not Necessarily.

Any individual or company (public or private) can make a move on a publicly traded corporation any time they want to, all they have to do is buy all the stock (or the vast majority) and offer to buy the rest at a certain price. It gets extremely complicated past that, but that's the basic fact.

Point being that the target company has to agree to being bought, or they can place many roadblocks in the way of a hostile takeover. Things that can make them far too expensive to be taken over without consent, poison pill clauses in the stock, etc.

Perhaps there were discussions in the past and at that time they didn't want to be taken over. Perhaps recently, one of the major shareholders changed their minds (or is in a cash crunch and wants to collect some fast green) and decided now is a good time to sell. And when someone who owns the majority block of the stock decides to sell, the rest normally goes along.

Just a wild (yet educated) guess, has Stan Lee got any retirement funds set aside other than a huge chunk in Marvel? He might have decided that now is the time to cash out and go enjoy his remaining time - though I sense he's the "Type A" type to keep his hand in the game till they have to tuck his arm back in to nail the lid shut.

The only listed "Major Shareholder" in a quick search is Isaac Perlmutter, the CEO. Anyone know where to find a simple little (Pre-buyout) chart on shares and percentages of ownership? I know it exists...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• That one girl.

Haha Marvel Princesses.
    MARVEL+SPRD.jpg (image)

I tried to post the image but I guess it was too big.

Anyway, its a comic about the Disney/Marvel deal. Funny!
    Well, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, I think you're crazy, just like me.

For new music click below!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Well Disney doesn't have the rights to any of those movies? or the X-Men Origins...
    ----------------------------
    hahaha ill agree with you on that!
    Not just talking about the movies though. Talking about the parks.

Universal has the rights to Spiderman, Hulk, Dr. Doom and X-Men for parks east of the Mississippi. Now the major impact characters for IOA are Spiderman and Hulk. I'm quite sure that Disney could work out some kind of deal to get X-Men and Fantastic 4 for Theme Park's east of the Mississippi since Universal isn't exactly using them to their full potential.

Just the X-Men universe could be amazing for a land in DHS.

Even if they can't get those properties for the east coast, all other options are available to them (Thor, Capt, America and 4,995 others).

Now on the West Coast, they can do whatever they want as far as utilizing those characters.

I would expect to see all traces of Marvel gone from USH very soon.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Just a wild (yet educated) guess, has Stan Lee got any retirement funds set aside other than a huge chunk in Marvel? He might have decided that now is the time to cash out and go enjoy his remaining time - though I sense he's the "Type A" type to keep his hand in the game till they have to tuck his arm back in to nail the lid shut.
    Yep, Uncle Stan is most definitely a "bop 'til you drop" type guy.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    The parks won't get any superheroes. It's like Disney's ownership of Miramax pictures. It'll be separate!
    Let's hope and pray so!!!!!!!! Please. Marvel is ok, and Disney is my favorite, but put them together and the only solution i can think of is disaster... maybe only at DHS?

What about the Marvel park that is to be built in Dubai, will Disney run the park?

I feel Disney is loving some of it's magic. It's becoming very commercial now, and that magic that you used to feel when you used to enter Disneyland is well gone...

I think it happened not to long after Walt died and was most noticeable when Disney built California Adventure.

However hasn't Disney been commercial since the old days? They bought out Pooh and Poppins ages ago, and no one really saw it so much as commercial.

I believe that Marvel wouldn't fit into Disney because well it just wouldn't. Imagine seeing Spider man next to Mickey Mouse... It wouldn't make sense.

I think the most they'll do with this is... Marvel potato heads, more Marvel broadcasting on Disney owned channels, and possibly some characters walking around in California Adventure.

Doesn't Disney also own Kingdom Hearts? I mean they own it, and they know that if they put it into ToonTown at least or just incorporated it more into the whole Disney park area they could make some big bucks from Kingdom Hearts fanatics such as myself. In other words, they never used what they could use before in there theme parks. Why use what they can use now in there theme parks?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ReXgor View Post
    However hasn't Disney been commercial since the old days? They bought out Pooh and Poppins ages ago, and no one really saw it so much as commercial.
    On Pooh and Poppins they did what movie studios have done since the movie industry started: bought the film rights to books and made movies out of them.

That's a very different thing from buying an entire corporation, characters and all.

Just sayin'.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

hey there,

stumbled across this while reading my favorite web comic, thought i share
    this image.. image is copyrighted by gucomics

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/2009/gu_20090902.jpg

hehe... looks like mickey is about to shred murphy... hehe

cyas

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast