Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

Aw jeez...and people were telling me that Iger and Lasseter were going to bring back the real Disney spirit...

Well, if you can't create good boy-oriented characters, you buy 'em, I guess. This is an admission of failure by Disney. Guess since Disney XD isn't going great guns, especially that Aaron Stone thing, they got desperate.

Man, think what that 4B could have done for the parks...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disney internally isn't gonna sit around and wait for the lawyers to finesse every deal before starting development.
    And, if this has been in the works for awhile who's to say they aren't already. Or at least revisiting existing ideas that they could apply the Marvel theme to.

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Aw jeez...and people were telling me that Iger and Lasseter were going to bring back the real Disney spirit...

Well, if you can't create good boy-oriented characters, you buy 'em, I guess. This is an admission of failure by Disney. Guess since Disney XD isn't going great guns, especially that Aaron Stone thing, they got desperate.

I didn't even think about the effects to the sad DisneyXD. I'd love to see the old X-men cartoons on the network. Although I do disagree with the "if you can't create good boy-oriented characters, you buy them". Think Buzz Lightyear. The Incredibles. Disney Animated movies (Snow White, Cinderella, etc) have ALWAYS been geared more toward the female demographic.

Fantasyland has always been more for the girls, the rest of Disneyland for the boys.

Not only are they buying the Marvel brand, but all of the creative energy for those that work for Marvel. They will now be working for the Mouse.

I just hope they keep the hands-off approach they have thus-far granted Pixar when it comes to movies, etc.

Too bad we can't see an Aquaman re-theme to the subs (he's DC comics).

• OCSmurphy

Quote Originally Posted by JIrish780 View Post
    Sure, you purists all deny it now, but DCA (not Disneyland proper) would be a great home for the Marvels in their own little corner of the park. If the Muppets can be owned but seperate, and still be in the parks, and if the freaking Power Rangers can show up at Disney's Hollywood Studios, so too can some of the most recognizable characters in pop culture for decades.

Again, decades. In a few years, 2012 to be exact, Spider-Man will be 50 years old. That's more generations that will have grown up with that character than some A-List Disney properties like the Little Mermaid, let alone passing trends like High School Musical. If this works out, you all mark my words, Disney will find a way to milk this for as much synergy as they can, and that includes in the parks.

Cars Land simply isn't enough for young boys. Cars Land and the Marvel Superheroes? Suddenly you've got an irresistable combination from a marketing standpoint, and if you don't think Disney doesn't realize that, well, nothing I can say will sway you.
    I so agree with you on all your points...except the last one...
    Sad to say
    " if you don't think Disney doesn't realize that, well, nothing I can say will sway you"

Lately, I truly/sadly believe, that "Disney" or many who make the final deciasions really DO NOT "have a clue" most of the time...
    I too see this...but the vision of the men at the top have a very 'cloudy' view ....so I will wish on a star that you are right...
    It does sound too 'MARVELous' as a union for all concerned...

waves and dances off with SpidyMickey Mini Bean to Comic Con...

• Sock Puppet

If this is true, I'm excited! X-Men and Pinocchio under one roof = Pure awesomeness!

• Golden Teeth and Tones

Okay, I've been giving this some more thought. The way I see it, there's really three ways this can go as to integrating Spidey and Friends into the parks, and only one of them is truely viable.

1) Totally new park: While this would be the way to keep the Purists satisfied, it's also by and large the least feasible. And cost wouldn't be the only issue. After all, Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Islands of Adventure... they all work because there's more than one theme within their borders. A strictly Marvel park would have none of that, and without any cross-appeal, it'd sink like a 40 ton weight having been dropped into the Pacific Ocean from a height of 2,000 feet. Yes, Marvel has a very few other properties besides their superheroes, but when was the last time Planet Terry and Top Dog mattered? This idea is a complete non-starter.

2) Put 'em in Disneyland/The Magic Kingdom: ..... no. Just no. I'm one of the biggest Marvel geeks on this forum, and even I hate the very thought. So Nuff Said (sorry, Stan) there.

3) Put 'em in DCA/Hollywood Studios: Okay, thematically it's not that great, but it's as close as we're going to get. With Marvel's massive box office presence as of late, their movies are one of the defining aspects of 21st Century film. They're the Star Wars of this current era, only with built-in name recognition. So Hollywood studios is a decent fit, and DCA will have to act as the surrogate counterpart.

Really, folks, what else is even left at this point? EPCOT? No way. Animal Kingdom?? Never in a million years, so long as they've got sense. DCA's new theme is weak and tenuous, IMHO, and making good attractions should be their first priority, no matter what brand they fall under.

... and come on, you know you want to see Storm in there cast to Disney's rigorous standards.
    Stuck in Western NY, and feeling so far away from the Magic.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Not only are they buying the Marvel brand, but all of the creative energy for those that work for Marvel. They will now be working for the Mouse.
    Ohhh, boy....

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I just hope they keep the hands-off approach they have thus-far granted Pixar when it comes to movies, etc.
    Disney didn't grant Pixar squat. Steve told Michael to take his "creative" executives and their notes and piss off. Creative hands-off was part of the deal. It infuriated Burbank.

I'd be surprised if anyone at Marvel was as adamant about keeping an infestation of rodents out of their house. Stan, certainly, but he doesn't have the clout.
    "That ain't forest fires cracklin' in the San Fernando Valley, boys -- it's the sharpening of knives and the stokin' of coals on the Bar-B-Que in Burbank!"

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Golden Teeth and Tones

I'd be surprised if anyone at Marvel was as adamant about keeping an infestation of rodents out of their house. Stan, certainly, but he doesn't have the clout.
    Joe Quesada, Marvel's current EIC, is an insanely "my way and that's that" type. A lot of his decisions have infuriated Marvel fans, in fact. Don't get me started on One More Day.

Still... Disney could well replace him... and a lot of Marvel fans would shed no tears.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I really wouldn't expect to see Marvel staffers let out of their own little universe.

Anybody who is aware of the DC-Warners relationship knows what this is like. Every ComicCon DC panel includes that guy who asks about the next movie and the DC guys admit that they have no input on the movies and just make the stuff the movies are based on.

There's a huge feeling at DC that the parent company isn't aware they're still making comic books, and I expect largely the same out of Disney. What they see is a character farm.

They're laying out about as much money, adjusted for devaluation, as they did for the Saban/Fox Kids stuff, except instead of just getting American distribution rights to a bunch of Japanese imports they're getting full ownership of numerous characters. The Power Rangers or whatever are small potatoes next to Spider-Man. And then throw on the Hulk, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor.

As far as being a Disney fan, to me the question is whether it was a smart move for the company to spot $4b in this environment.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    There's a huge feeling at DC that the parent company isn't aware they're still making comic books, and I expect largely the same out of Disney. What they see is a character farm.
    Yep... except that Burbank's culture is reeely into control. Some would say pathologically so. Ask anyone at ABC what it was like during the week after the buyout was announced, when Disney execs came parading through the LA offices. (Hell, ask anyone who works at Burbank!)

- Neil Gabler

• Golden Teeth and Tones

Disney executives went to great lengths during the call to make the point that they don’t pretend to be more expert than Marvel is in handling their characters, citing the hands-off relationship Disney has had with Pixar since the acquisition of that studio. Disney said Marvel manages the properties from a business perspective very intelligently and trusts them to make the right decisions for these products for a long time to come.
    Via www.comicbookresources.com

So much for them getting rid of Quesada... sigh.

• Senior Minion

When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.
    Yeah, right, Disney's going to be "hands off."

- Neil Gabler

Blog Entries

I'll say the same thing I said in all the other threads. This will not force the Marvel Island to shut down at Universal. Universal still has a contract to use Marvel Character licenses at that park. That park always had a seperate licensing deal than Hollywood. They're not going to spend all that money building an entire island and then not have their i's dotted and their t's crossed on the contract. The contract is still in effect no matter who owns Marvel.

Now that contract probably isn't infinite, but I highly doubt it was short term either. When it comes time to renew that contract, at that time Disney might be able to strong arm Universal out of it, but until then its business as usual.

So before we all start jumping to conclusions, we need to know what the specifics of Universals contracts are. They do not have exclusive rights to all Marvel characters. Other parks can have walk arounds, but I do not know what their rights are for rides and attractions. Until we know that, all this speculation is just baseless. For now we know that Disney will own Marvel and make a killing off of licensing fees and movies. Who knows what the future holds.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

....ohhh, the vision will come to you. All you have to do is to...
    Think of a wonderful thought...
    Any four-billion-dollar thought!
    Think of money -- piles of green!
    Think of Hulk and Wolverine!
    Plush Spideys to the sky!
    We can cry! We can cry! We can cry!

Think of a fabulous merge
    Set to music of a funeral dirge!
    Think stock options by the score
    Look! Our stock's worth even more!
    Kiss Uncle Stan goodbye...

Off you go with a Spidey glow
    To a musclebound men's room
    The testosterone makes you swoon
    As we pummel Dr. Doom
    'Neath the light of a Neverland moooonnnnn....

When there's a broker nearby
    There's no need to wonder why
    X-Men's in and Crockett's out
    Merch is what it's all about
    Plush Spideys to the sky!

Ironically, that is my favorite superhero! The Vision rocks!!!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

Ok, 4b sounds like alot but how's this for returns...

Wolverine.......179 mil
    Ironman.........318 mil
    Inc. Hulk........134 mil
    spidey 3.........336 mil
    ff 2...............131 mil
    x men 3..........234 mil
    ff .................154 mil
    Spidey 2.........373 mil

6 years of domestic movie grosses equals almost 2 billion dollars gross in the US. You can't tell me this wasn't a good idea. Everyone looks at the short term but this is a long term acquisition just like Pixar and it will pay off for years to come. With the Disney marketing machine, they will make mega bucks on this. This is a steal and they know it. I just did a few years of movie grosses and I know they are only grosses but with all the other licensed products they sell, Disney will make money forever on these properties. This was a no brainer.

Oh, and how many rides can they build with 4 billion? I'm sure they can build alot but that's not a money maker like this is and I love the rides.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post

Well, if you can't create good boy-oriented characters, you buy 'em, I guess.

Very well stated. This makes good business sense for Disney, though, especially in this era where they seem to have real trouble coming up with original concepts without buying up other companies that had them first.

Hopefully, if the Marvel characters must be in the parks, they'll stick em over at DCA where I can more easily ignore them.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast