Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    too bad we can't see an aquaman re-theme to the subs (he's dc comics).
    oh. My. God.

Are you serious????

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Perfect timing: right after just about every Marvel hero has had films and remakes made.
    Hardly. Spiderman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Iron Man do not make up the entire Marvel Universe.

And Marvel has shown they can take a not so popular character (Iron Man), make an amazing movie and make the character legitimate again.

You also have upcoming franchises such as Thor, Captain America not to mention the already established storylines that will eventually lead to The Avengers.

I'd say that Marvel has a good 10 years of franchise opportunity. That's not even taking into effect eventual re-launches of existing franchises.

I personally don't think any of the recent Spiderman movies were all that great.

• Golden Teeth and Tones

Well, Marvel does own Namor the Submariner, who's their oldest superhero creation who is still active (predating even Captain America)... but as previously stated, I'd really rather Marvel's characters go strictly to DCA. That, and Namor half the time looks like Spock with winged feet and a green Speedo. *shudders*
    Stuck in Western NY, and feeling so far away from the Magic.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It really does not seem to mesh well in any park, DHS or DCA, but I guess Disney will let us see what their plan is eventually. Perhaps D23?

The only thing that does seem to make sense with Disney and Marvel is collecting fees for a new contract in IOA, and Kingdom Hearts. I'm very hesitant about park use, but who knows what they are planning?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Dreamfinder disciple

I just started a thread on the possibility of having an attraction based on a Studio Ghibli movie (preferably Spirited Away). The tread has received a very nice mixed response - lots of enthused yes's and lots of very articulate no's.

In addition to being a big Disney fan and Ghibli fan, of course I'm a Marvel fan. Who's not? But all of these posts on the possibility of Marvel characters walking around, or even Marvel rides, makes me queazy...

Maybe now I feel something similar to what everyone who rejected the Ghibli ride was feeling. I still feel like there's a difference... Maybe because Ghibli only has a handful of characters - not 5000. A Ghibli ride could feel like a nice little addition to EPCOT, or TDL or TDS. Not like an invasion of the entire company. I hope the Marvel stuff stays separate.

I personally don't think any of the recent Spiderman movies were all that great.

Quote of the Day....

Now as far as a Marvel attraction...No. And it's not that I don't think it would be fun, or that I have a problem with a Disney/Marvel merger, as much as the animation is so vastly different between the two that in a real-life environment, the designs would clash. Unless they did something similar to the MK vs DC universe, and made a major E-Ticket out of it. Think fast paced action, explosions and seeing Sorcerer Mickey whomp on Spidey....But Wolverine would have to beat someone from disney...Like Mortimeer Mouse....lol
    Last edited by dizzneeland; 08-31-2009 at 10:34 AM.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

*sigh*
    You know, I try to tell myself that there's still something left of the old Disney in the present corporation. But really...no.

I'm not a fan of the Marvel universe, although my husband is. My 6 year old is not into it at all. But I'm almost sick at the thought of what they will do to the parks. There is absolutely no way that I can see the MBAs spending $4b on this and not shoving it down our throats every single chance they get. Maybe they can get Wolverine to slash the stuffing out of Pooh every hour on the hour. Or Spider-Man can "fly" instead of TinkerBell.

No wonder they're trying to make the D23 expo like Comic-con. By next year, it WILL be comic-con jr.

I hate the acquisitiveness of the MBAs, I hate the lack of imagination in just buying something instead of creating your own and I hate that the money this will cost will probably be the excuse for the next 10 years for everything that NEEDS doing that they won't get done. "Well, we did buy Marvel! When we get that ROI we'll fix stuff, honest" Mostly I hate that while I respect Marvel and know that there's a huge audience for their stuff, I do NOT think it blends well with Disney.

• Golden State of Mind

You also have upcoming franchises such as Thor, Captain America not to mention the already established storylines that will eventually lead to The Avengers.

Well Disney doesn't have the rights to any of those movies? or the X-Men Origins...
    ----------------------------
    hahaha ill agree with you on that!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    How about the rumored 5th theme park in Florida or the third in California? Scratch the Villians theme in Fl and any theme in Cali and go with a Superhero park. It would be huge if Disney did it right. And seperate from the other parks too.
    Now they have something to work with on designing the Third Theme Park!

If they want to get moving Right Now with getting the Marvel universe out and about and in the public eye, they would be a far better fit at DCA - leave DL for Classic Disney characters, and let Pixar and Marvel duke it out at DCA for a while till their new home is ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    Before everybody gets carried away, Universal Studios has the exclusive right to use Marvel characters in theme parks in the United States, Japan and some other countries. Islands of Adventure in Florida has an entirely Marvel-themed land.

Disney purchasing Marvel does not supersede this. Universal still has the exclusive theme park rights, regardless of Disney owning Marvel. So before we see Marvel at Disney parks, we need to see terms of Universal's theme park rights modified.
    Not exactly: (this is from Jan 2008 and only applies to USH) - SpongeBob defeats Spiderman at Universal Studios - Travel - LATimes.com

I'll say again ... do you REALLY think Disney is going to pay $4B and just have the rights to use them for movies and comics? This is NOT a distribution deal.
    They have already backed a lot of the Marvel stuff out of Universal Studios Hollywood. And Disney needs a third park in Anaheim a lot more than they need a fifth in Florida - if for no other reason to start getting some return on a huge and costly urban land investment. What they get from parking lots isn't even close to paying the property taxes...

I can see Marvel (now a subsidiary of the Mouse Factory) leaving the Universal Florida contract to run it's course, but taking back the West Coast rights for their parent company to use.

Things change over time - look at the Disney and M.G.M. contracts.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Banned User

Disney bets $4 billion on Marvel - Video - Business News

Iger makes a very encompasing statement in this interview (link above) in which he mentions theme park possibilities. I'm hoping that Disney is thinking along the lines of creating a new theme/thrill park based on the Marvel Universe. It's a nagging feeling of mine that Disney will recognize that with this aquisition, pending it gets approved, they have a golden opportunity to make a theme park that encorporates new thrill-ride technology (coasters, flumes, etc.) designed to take on the more heavy hitters in the thrill-park industry. If Disney utilizes Marvel to its full potential they could be making some serious profits in about 10 years.

I just like the idea of Universal writing checks to Disney!

Disney's stock in trade is characters. This acquisition is not going to keep them from creating new characaters but to add 5,000 new characters to the stable is huge. Disney is a multi-media entertainment company with TV, Movies, Publishing, Gaming, Theme Parks etc. You have to feed it with something and many of these characters have huge multi-generational appeal.

Over the long term, this will be a very smart acquisition for Disney.
    The Mur

• DL Obsessed

Disney is purchasing Marvel Comics. Spiderman ride in the future?

Now that Disney is purchasing Marvel comics, do you see Marvel attractions being integrated into California Adventure or even Disneyland?

• starhorse

Re: Disney is purchasing Marvel Comics. Spiderman ride in the future?

Heh, that was the first question my husband had when I told him the news this morning.

I'm sure Marvel attractions will be forthcoming, but I think it'll be many, many years yet before anything comes into fruition - especially with so many extensive plans already in place for DCA. Disney's got a lot on their plate already when it comes to the Resort.

I can see characters roaming around the parks before too long, though.
    carrying bottled skies around
    twitter.com/equustel

• Banned User

Re: Disney is purchasing Marvel Comics. Spiderman ride in the future?

There's already a Spider-Man ride, and it would be very hard to top. And if Disney forces Universal to remove it, they can expect a serious backlash.

• Golden Teeth and Tones

Sad Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

It's times like this that I realize participating in multiple fandoms can be a harsh mistress.
    Stuck in Western NY, and feeling so far away from the Magic.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast