Re: Superheros at Disneyland? Disney buys Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I say get rid of the old tomorrowland and give us a scifi superhero Land
    Surely you jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob™ View Post
    Surely you jest.

No, Baloo historically HATES Tomorrowland....lol j/k

Seriously though, the partners statue should be Wolverine and Woody.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Lest people forget, Disney got Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back from Universal a few years ago.

Well, give him a few carrot protein shakes, a few steroids, and he becomes...OZZIE THE BUNNY BLASTER or some such, and a perfect fit for Marvel-Land.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Infinitized!

This is interesting. I wonder how Disney will treat the Marvel Characters? Look at their own comic hereos: they can't even turn The Rocketeer into a franchise and The Incredibles are still just one movie.

I don't want to see the Marvel characters invade the parks. I'd rather see Cliff Secord represented in California Adventure in some way. However, a Marvel themed 3rd gate...

Deadline Hollywood Daily is a great insider industry blog, that is following coverage of the merger, including some notes on what this means for Universal theme parks:

Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily SHOCKER! Disney Buying Marvel For $4B!

Trust me - Marvel Superheros - at least the ones that Universal theme parks already uses - won't be at Disney parks for a while.

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

Just say no to Marvel characters in Disneyland......Maybe at Hollywood Studios in Florida --or Hollywood section of DCA --but not Disneyland..

• Infinitized!

I can see it now; in Iron Man II, rather than handing Robert Downey Jr. a Burger King cheeseburger, Jon Favreau will hand Robert a churro.

• Infinitized!

Re: Disney is purchasing Marvel Comics. Spiderman ride in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey114 View Post
    Now that Disney is purchasing Marvel comics, do you see Marvel attractions being integrated into California Adventure or even Disneyland?
    No! But if they want to do a Marvel exclusive 3rd gate...

There is....another.....

4) Use as a major anchor land for a new park: I agree that Marvel characters are not enough for an entire park, but they could be one *one* of the anchors for a new park with a theme that fits them well--such as a Villians park. It would be quite easy to incorporate a much more lavish and interesting land than Islands of Adventure as part of a new themed park.

Personally, I think any major developments would be MANY years into the future, if at all....it will be interesting to see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by JIrish780 View Post
    Okay, I've been giving this some more thought. The way I see it, there's really three ways this can go as to integrating Spidey and Friends into the parks, and only one of them is truely viable.

1) Totally new park: While this would be the way to keep the Purists satisfied, it's also by and large the least feasible. And cost wouldn't be the only issue. After all, Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Islands of Adventure... they all work because there's more than one theme within their borders. A strictly Marvel park would have none of that, and without any cross-appeal, it'd sink like a 40 ton weight having been dropped into the Pacific Ocean from a height of 2,000 feet. Yes, Marvel has a very few other properties besides their superheroes, but when was the last time Planet Terry and Top Dog mattered? This idea is a complete non-starter.

2) Put 'em in Disneyland/The Magic Kingdom: ..... no. Just no. I'm one of the biggest Marvel geeks on this forum, and even I hate the very thought. So Nuff Said (sorry, Stan) there.

3) Put 'em in DCA/Hollywood Studios: Okay, thematically it's not that great, but it's as close as we're going to get. With Marvel's massive box office presence as of late, their movies are one of the defining aspects of 21st Century film. They're the Star Wars of this current era, only with built-in name recognition. So Hollywood studios is a decent fit, and DCA will have to act as the surrogate counterpart.

Really, folks, what else is even left at this point? EPCOT? No way. Animal Kingdom?? Never in a million years, so long as they've got sense. DCA's new theme is weak and tenuous, IMHO, and making good attractions should be their first priority, no matter what brand they fall under.

... and come on, you know you want to see Storm in there cast to Disney's rigorous standards.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    If they want to get moving Right Now with getting the Marvel universe out and about and in the public eye, they would be a far better fit at DCA - leave DL for Classic Disney characters, and let Pixar and Marvel duke it out at DCA for a while till their new home is ready.
    Looks like that train left the station some time ago, and is already far down the tracks. Or as they said in Disney's conference call this morning:
    When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.
    My Spidey Sense says it's a safe bet that DCA, John Lasseter's new playground, IS the Marvel universe's new home. No duking it out, just a nice cocoon of good ol' symbiotic Disney-style synergy.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    I really don't like this integration. I'm a Marvel fan but these two worlds don't mix well. I hope there are no attractions.
    QFT. i feel the same exact way.
    -plagued

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    My Spidey Sense says it's a safe bet that DCA, John Lasseter's new playground, IS the Marvel universe's new home. No duking it out, just a nice cocoon of good ol' symbiotic Disney-style synergy.
    And if that happens, I suggest renaming the park to Disney's Miscellaneous Adventure.

• Swish and Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    I really don't like this integration. I'm a Marvel fan but these two worlds don't mix well. I hope there are no attractions.
    I agree
    "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." -Winnie the Pooh

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Give em' a whole new park to themselves... In Florida.

One other note on all this....Marvel has a huge library of characters, and with that comes a wide range of characters. Sure there are lots of standard superheroes, but there are also quirky gothic/horror characters, Western/cowboy types, alien civilizations, war heroes, and so on.

There are also cute and fun characters, such as Prime (a young boy who transforms (well, is actually encased inside) a Superman-class strong adult) and Power Pack (a group of 4 kids with superpowers) which would make wonderful animated films or animated tv shows for kids. If you look beyond the heavy-hitters, there are some real gems that have never been truly explored in a bigger realm and could become real hits for Disney in a very different way than the recognizable super-hero names....

When you combine these unknown and lesser-known stories with the bigger names, $4 Billion is likely to become a real steal over the long haul.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast