Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Disney Buying Marvel: Complex Orlando Theme Park Dynamics

Wow this came out of left field. I'm sure Disney's lawyers can make things very uncomfortable for Universal if they want to. They can hold Universal to the letter of the contracts and when existing contracts on merchandising expire they can charge outrageous fees in order to put the heat on Universal. I expect the cost of doing business with Disney may be too high for Universal to remain in business with them if Disney wants to play hard ball.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I have a question.

Will this mean Disney owns ALL of marvel? Comics AND studios? Or is this a limited ownership that excludes certain things? Will the joint movies in the past now be as if it was partially joint with Disney?

i.e. X-Men would be 20th Century Fox + Disney, Hulk would be Universal + Disney, etc etc

Ultimately it's a smart thing. DC has always been tied to the hip with Warner Bros. Marvel has always been floating around aimlessly from studio to studio. Having a home base to support them would be a lot better for Marvel.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

I'm pretty sure pre-existing contracts won't change but from here on out like you said DC being attached to Warner Bro. Marvel now has a home with Disney.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I have a question.

Will this mean Disney owns ALL of marvel? Comics AND studios? Or is this a limited ownership that excludes certain things? Will the joint movies in the past now be as if it was partially joint with Disney?

i.e. X-Men would be 20th Century Fox + Disney, Hulk would be Universal + Disney, etc etc

Ultimately it's a smart thing. DC has always been tied to the hip with Warner Bros. Marvel has always been floating around aimlessly from studio to studio. Having a home base to support them would be a lot better for Marvel.
    Here is a report from AICN that may answer some of your questions. Really excited about this deal. Like the ideas some of you have mentioned about refurbing DHS with Marvel properties. The possibilities are endless.

UPDATE #1: In a conference call, the companies said that the deals for movies for characters at other studios (Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.) will stay in place under the terms set by Marvel and the other studios.

UPDATE #2: John Lasseter met with Marvel last week about a possible team-up between Marvel and Pixar and got "pretty excited, pretty fast." They say there's definitely an opportunity there.

UPDATE #3: The deal with Paramount Pictures to distribute "Iron Man 2," "Thor," "Captain America" and "The Avengers" stays in place as well, but Disney would like to self-distribute down the line. "When the time comes we'll take a closer look at it."

I'm really not sure what to say here, except 1) I smell some interesting theme park rides in our future, and 2) I wonder who would win in a fight between Iron Man and Emperor Zurg?

There are so many questions here: what does this mean for comics-to-film/TV projects currently in development? I'm assuming many will move FWD as contracted/planned, but future installments (sequels and what not) could end up being bounced back to Disney? I.e. IRON MAN 2 is clearly being issued by Paramount, but might IRON MAN 3 potentially be a Disney release? Would HULK remain a Universal interest, or will Mickey now have his way with him? I'm guessing this will differ on a case by case basis - informed by whatever agreements are currently in place? How does this impact Disney's synergy with companies like Pixar? Will we now see Marvel-based CG extravaganzas? Or, if Pixar's gravitating towards live action...? And, to what extent will Marvel remain relatively autonimouse (sorry, I couldn't resist)?

Someone explain before my head explodes!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning509s View Post
    According to this article, Universals Licensing agreement with Marvel Entertainment will end in 2012.

Business Editors & Entertainment Writers
    NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 19, 2002
    Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE:MVL)
    10-Year Deal Allows VU Publishing's Games Division To Create Virtual
    Persistent Universe Featuring Marvel Superheroes; Agreement Grants
    Access To More Than 4,700 Characters Including Spider-Man, The
    Incredible Hulk and The X-Men

LINK:Marvel Enterprises, Inc. Strengthens Global Presence with Universal Studios Japan and Pepsi-Cola International Deals. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com
    To any Disney insiders reading this: have some common decency please, don't force Universal to shut down their Spider-Man ride after 2012. It's one of the reasons people come to Orlando. When they come to Orlando, they come to Disney. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I read that article three times and I didn't find that phrase in there even once.
    Business Editors & Entertainment Writers
    NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 19, 2002
    Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE:MVL)
    10-Year Deal

Simple Math - Marvel signs 10-year deal with Uni Sept 2002.

2002 + 10 = 2012

• Pilot EdForceOne

I haven't found any references to the original Marvel licensing for IOA yet... its hard when all the results are flooded by today's news. But to draw a comparison.. look at the licensing agreement they got when they landed Harry Potter

This license will be used for appropriately themed attractions, merchandise stores and food venues which will be incorporated in a new “island” that will include a re-themed portion of one of the “islands” of, and additional undeveloped real estate at, Universal’s Islands of Adventure. These attractions should be open by summer of 2010. Under the terms of the agreement, we have the right to use the licensed property until approximately ten years after the scheduled grand opening date of the attractions. We also have the ability to extend the term for two successive five-year renewal periods. Our use of the licensed property for the attractions, theming, promotions, merchandise and other purposes is subject to approval of WB. The agreement provides us with the exclusive right to use the licensed property in theme parks, amusement parks, water parks and stand-alone themed venues similar to those found in a theme park within a radius of 250 miles around Universal’s Islands of Adventure. UCDP will pay WB various license fees, merchandise royalty payments, and other payments throughout the term of the agreement.
    Only 10 years! With 2 renewal options.

Another fun note about that deal
    We estimate our total capital investment in these attractions and the previously announced Simpsons™ attraction to range from $230.0 million to $265.0 million. This includes all capital expenditures to build these attractions. This also takes into account the net present value of all license fee payments, including license fee payments to WB that would become payable during the renewal option periods, but does not include merchandise royalties. During 2007, we expect to spend from $75.0 million to $85.0 million on these attractions.
    Only 260 mil spent between Simpsons and all of HP land including up front fees.

UNIVERSAL CITY DEVELOPMENT PARTNERS LTD (Form: 8-K, Received: 05/31/2007 11:13:28)

Jim Hill hit some of these points brought up in this thread. Look at Muppets... everyone said Disney was just letting them die on the vine. But were they? Or were they just waiting for their conflicts and contracts to expire before investing their own efforts to prevent confusion? Same thing could happen here with Marvel. Let the mothership feed off the fees and new distribution deals for years and wait for the Marvel licensing to finish off... THEN start investing in their own work.

Last thing Disney wants is for someone to be in Universal and think they are seeing Disney properties. Disney may very well play hands off until it is purely a Disney franchise.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

And from the OS...

Marvel has several long-term agreements in place already with various other companies for many of its characters, including movie deals with Paramount, Sony and Fox, for such characters as Iron Man, X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America and Thor. Those contracts will be honored until their terms expire, which could be several years or more in some cases.

Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,2559631.story

That's what I was trying to lookup (their old filings) but I'm actually supposed to be doing my day job
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Blog Entries

The only thing that says anything about 10 years is this section:

10-Year Deal Allows VU Publishing's Games Division To Create Virtual
    Persistent Universe Featuring Marvel Superheroes
    which doesn't have anything to do with Universal. That article you linked talked about a lot of different Marvel contracts, not just the Universal one. I haven't seen anything saying the Marvel contract with Universal expires in 2012. It might, I don't know where that information would be public, but that article doesn't state it.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Universal to Employees:

You may have seen reports this morning that Disney intends to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Naturally, Team Members and guests may wonder how this will impact Islands of Adventure. Marvel Super Hero Island and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience and will remain so. Our guests are still going to be able to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    You may have seen reports this morning that Disney intends to acquire Marvel Entertainment. Naturally, Team Members and guests may wonder how this will impact Islands of Adventure. Marvel Super Hero Island and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience and will remain so. Our guests are still going to be able to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience.
    That's just typical corporate PR-speak. I wouldn't expect them to come right out and say they are having their lawyers going over the contract with a magnifying lenses and possibly shipping copies of the contracts to their presidents and vice presidents. I am sure Universal Orlando is going to go over all their options including re-theming to get out from underneath Mickey's thumb. Of course this will be many years down the pipeline but I really doubt Universal will want to stay in business with a major competitor forever.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Disney beefs up its stable of characters with $4B acquisition of Marvel - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Yet at Florida's theme parks, even the $4 billion deal won't allow Walt Disney World to snatch some of the best-known Marvel superstars -- including Spider-Man and Incredible Hulk -- from rival Universal Orlando.

``Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so,'' said Tom Schroder, a Universal spokesman.

Universal's contracts gives it exclusive U.S. rights east of the Mississippi River for theme-park attractions built around those characters, notably Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, X-Men and Dr. Doom. Islands of Adventure has an entire theme-park area, Marvel Super Hero Island, dedicated to Marvel characters.

The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals.

``Marvel characters have already proven to be strong in terms of theme park attraction, and we believe there are a lot of opportunities around the world, not in every one of our parks because there are some existing agreements that we obviously have to honor,'' Disney Co. President Bob Iger said.

• keep moving forward...

If they can keep Marvel a seperate entity (meaning, no Green Goblin appearing in Fantasmic) then I am all for intergrating them into the theme parks. Its good that the amazing spiderman ride isnt leaving IOA, I was worried about that. As for Disney, I cant wait to see what they do with this property, there is a lot of potential here. True, it is an entirely different side of fantasy, but so was Starwars, Indy, and especially The Twilight Zone. Disney has proven that they can step out of their comfort zones to make new attractions, those attractions then become part of their comfort zone. I am excited to see what happens, especially when you get John Lasseter and Stan Lee together.

But a J. Jonah Jameson face character walking around the studios would be pretty awesome.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Personally, I don't expect the Spiderman ride to make it. Nor the movies. Disney is going to do every legal kung-fu it can think of to get Spiderman an exclusive because that's the face of the company.

I could see Disney even going as far as to offer a Wolverine ride or something in it's place. Logan is a character that is a bit, er, rough around the edges to fit the Disney image. A guy with a metal skeleton and giant claws that can cleave through people who smokes cigars and generally behaves like a tough son of a gun isn't really what they have in mind for corporate prestige.

OTOH, with Fox marketing the X spinoffs like mad, to the point that even Deadpool can get a movie (and if you don't know who he is, that's exactly my point), Universal would probably be happy to go away if they can get a new Wolverine attraction out of the deal.

• Goofy

so is this good or bad? im leaning toward negative.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast