Re: Disney Buying Marvel: Complex Orlando Theme Park Dynamics

I'm leading towards positive myself
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    That's just typical corporate PR-speak. I wouldn't expect them to come right out and say they are having their lawyers going over the contract with a magnifying lenses and possibly shipping copies of the contracts to their presidents and vice presidents. I am sure Universal Orlando is going to go over all their options including re-theming to get out from underneath Mickey's thumb. Of course this will be many years down the pipeline but I really doubt Universal will want to stay in business with a major competitor forever.
    I agree completely ~ Universal's statement is just corporate psycho-babble to protect their financial status and calm fears of investors. They sure won't be as inclined to use any of the Marvel characters they currently have temporary rights too, for any forseeable future projects. And they are likely to back away from current Marvel characters over the next few years. It would be easy enough to change the name of the Hulk coaster to something else. As for Spiderman, the ride, that is quite a bit more complicated. IF they lose rights to Spiderman in 2012, then it they could approach it a few different ways.

With Potterland opening soon, they could tie in Harry's arriving with Spiderman's leaving. One year promote "your last chance to experience Spiderman". Then the next year do the big Welcome Harry party. Those would be two big years. In the meantime, Universal's version of Imagineer's will need to get working immediately on a makeover of guts of the current Spiderman ride. Universal has proved that they can do a fantastic job of ride makeover, Just look at the great job they did in Moving the Simpson's into Hill Valley's old digs! The question that remains is which property would work in Spiderman's old home, and could possibly serve as a theme for the entire Island! Universal will want to find something relatively quick for a replacement theme to Marvel island. That way they could have the old Hulk and old Spiderman rethemed, within a year or two after Potterland opens.

• Banned User

Im thinking Marvel Island will either become Cybertron or Gotham City

• I love my family!

Why pull the license?

Sounds like attractions at all the non FL parks will be ok, So Universal will have to decide what thier going to do longterm.

Keep it and be under the hand of the mouse, or retheme and close the check book.

Either way Disney wins again!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    IF they lose rights to Spiderman in 2012, then it they could approach it a few different ways.
    As already stated in this thread with several references... their licenses are secured.. this 2012 date is jibberish.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Im thinking Marvel Island will either become Cybertron or Gotham City
    Cybertron seems like an easy redress. In Hollywood, Universal will soon start building a Transformers ride based on the Spider-Man ride technology. Re-theme Dr. Doom's Fearfall to Megatron and the Hulk to... I don't know, Starscream? I'm just pulling things out of the air here now.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Transformers doesn't have as broad appeal as super heros tho...

Am I evil? yes, I am

Personally, I think this buying Marvel is a stupid mistake on Disney's part. They cut the budget on the lame Fantasyland makeover for the Magic Kingdom, Cut the original plans for the Space Mountain makeover and they don't seem to be interested in doing Star Tours 2 at DHS. Epcot had some great looking dark rides designed for the Germany, UK and Japan pavillions which never got greenlit. Citing economic reasons, they don't want to spend any money on WDW unless it's to build a DVC resort, but yet they can spend 4 BILLION on comic book characters. WDW is one of Disney's biggest cash cows, 4 of the top 10 theme parks in the world yet I don't see much re-investment in the parks. All I see is budgets being cut and plans scaled back. Magic Kingdom hasn't seen a major "E" type attraction in close to, if not over, 20 years. EPCOT was supposed to have additional countries and attractions built, Soarin' was about the only thing in the past 5 years. DHS, has the Monsters Inc roller coaster on hold for now. Star Tours needs updating as does Indiana Jones Stunt Show and Great Movie Ride. Until the Beastly Kingdom opens, to me Animal Kingdom is an unfinished project.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I'm gonna rip the limbs off the next nutcase that asks me if I heard that Disney is buying Marvel!!

Whoever is saying that there's a "10 year" license that expires in 2012 - that was with VU GAMES- is reading comprehension that much of a lost art these days?
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

On the movie side, consider this:

Marvel's deal with Disney won't immediately impact film deals already in place. A look at some of the top properties and where they're housed:

The Avengers - Par
    Blade - New Line
    Captain America - Par
    Daredevil - Fox
    Fantastic Four - Fox
    Incredible Hulk - U
    Iron Man - Par
    The Punisher - Lionsgate
    Spider-Man - Sony
    Thor - Par
    X-Men - Fox

Source: Variety

• Drunk On Disney

I agree completely ~ Universal's statement is just corporate psycho-babble to protect their financial status and calm fears of investors. They sure won't be as inclined to use any of the Marvel characters they currently have temporary rights too, for any forseeable future projects. And they are likely to back away from current Marvel characters over the next few years. It would be easy enough to change the name of the Hulk coaster to something else. As for Spiderman, the ride, that is quite a bit more complicated. IF they lose rights to Spiderman in 2012, then it they could approach it a few different ways.

With Potterland opening soon, they could tie in Harry's arriving with Spiderman's leaving. One year promote "your last chance to experience Spiderman". Then the next year do the big Welcome Harry party. Those would be two big years. In the meantime, Universal's version of Imagineer's will need to get working immediately on a makeover of guts of the current Spiderman ride. Universal has proved that they can do a fantastic job of ride makeover, Just look at the great job they did in Moving the Simpson's into Hill Valley's old digs! The question that remains is which property would work in Spiderman's old home, and could possibly serve as a theme for the entire Island! Universal will want to find something relatively quick for a replacement theme to Marvel island. That way they could have the old Hulk and old Spiderman rethemed, within a year or two after Potterland opens.
    ...or they could just put a big hat in front of Spiderman.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Disney will also have to figure out how to work around a deal between Marvel and Universal's theme parks in order to start building attractions at the Mouse House's own venues.

Through a long-term licensing pact, Marvel is a fixture at U's Islands of Adventure in Orlando, Fla., with several rides and a significant portion of the park themed around the comicbook giant's superheroes.

"Marvel Super Hero Island and the Marvel characters are an important part of the Universal Orlando experience," a Universal spokeswoman said. "They will remain so. Our agreement with Marvel stands for as long as we follow the terms of our existing contract and for as long as we want there to be a Marvel Super Hero Island."

That means characters currently featured -- Spider-Man and his villains, Wolverine and other more notable X-Men, as well as the Hulk and Captain America -- will remain in U's parks, and the existing deal prohibits Disney from building a new ride around them. Anything else, however, is up for grabs, including an Iron Man ride.

"If it's not in our parks, it can be in theirs," said one insider.
    Despite the other deals, Disney gains a lot of characters to work with. Most of Marvel's library has yet to be exploited beyond the pages of comicbooks. And while many characters are unknown to most consumers, marketing mavens have launched franchises from such lesser-known properties in the past.
    Disney to buy Marvel for $4 billion - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• Seasick

They sure won't be as inclined to use any of the Marvel characters they currently have temporary rights too, for any forseeable future projects. And they are likely to back away from current Marvel characters over the next few years.
    I think this notion that Universal will want to cut ties with Marvel properties just because Disney owns them is being overblown.

Disney pays licensing fees to help promote Indy and Star Wars, movies and TV shows they compete with outside the theme parks.

Disney-owned TV shows (Scrubs) appear on Univeral-owner NBC.

There are plenty of examples of these types of arrangements. If they're mutually profitable, they can happen. An American Idol attraction in DHS springs to mind.

This case isn't exactly the same of course, especially when two nearby theme parks are the issue, but I also think that the theme park aspect of this story is much smaller than it is being made out to be on places like MiceChat, where our speculation about the implications of the deal tends to be more narrow.

Someone else brought up one thing before which I wonder about, if Disney were to change the name to Disney-Marvel or change the Marvel logo to include mouse ears, would Universal be required to update the Marvel logos in their theme parks?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• I love my family!

^ The Universal Vs. Disney theme park war has raged for many years, this deal is just another example of how it's fought.

Universal has no choice, once it becomes common knowledge that Spiderman is a Disney cast member, Universal will have to do something.

Thier not going to want to openly advertise for Disney, I'm sure Universal creative is already hard at work on a new plan of attack.

Disney really struck a major blow with this purchase..

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    Universal has no choice, once it becomes common knowledge that Spiderman is a Disney cast member, Universal will have to do something.
    Why? The layers of true intellectual property ownership are rarely known to the consumer. The products will still be advertised as Marvel.. and most people probably won't even realize it's Disney owned for a long long time.

As long as USO is keeping spiderman alive and well.. they are actually keeping it FROM Disney in their parks. USO is actually has incentive to KEEP the stuff, not give it up and run.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast