Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Disney Buying Marvel: Complex Orlando Theme Park Dynamics

Sentinel is reporting Disney bought Marvel. Umm, this makes IOA a very weird mixture. And with Spielberg now doing distribution through Disney rather than Universal, the Universal parks are having an identity crisis in some (small) ways.

It will be very, VERY strange if we see Marvel walkarounds in Disney parks.

Maybe they will stay only in DHS, where they would stick out the least.

Disney acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. -- OrlandoSentinel.com
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: Disney Buying Marvel: Complex Orlando Theme Park Dynamics

This means that all future marvel superhero movies will be owned by Disney right? This is super good for Disney, they can open marvel superhero rides DISNEY-STYLE.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I'm guessing this is the largest family-unfriendly gesture thrown in the theme parks wars and Universal is b-b-b-b-boned at least until they can get Potter online.

I'd expect everything Marvel at Uni to either have to be torn down or reskinned as a new ride. That's 50% of the Mouse's incentive right there, the other 50%, and probably what is highly considered by Marvel would be Disney hardballing the rights to the X-Men and Fantastic 4 and Spider-Man movies away from Fox and Sony (respectively.)

Spidey's films especially are of large value, and Marvel wishes they had all the film rights to make one big Avengers movie.

I could say that beyond that they also buy a bunch of scifi/fantasy authors, but then again Warners never does anything to let DC have any say in anything beyond DC, and in the case of the big movies not even then. Anyone whose ever been to a DC Q&A at ComicCon knows the routine: "Thank you, but we know nothing about the movies. Our parent company probably forgot we still make comics. Yes, we like the Heath Ledger Joker, too."

• MiceAge Columnist

If Uni really does have to strip out its Marvel products, then Disney made its money back on the deal right there (by gutting a competitor).

I wonder if this might mean a new 5th gate idea: villains and (super)heroes!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Vehicle rotating backward

I doubt that, but they could do what the Studios has needed for a decade.

Marvel's "gimmick" is a whole bunch of characters focused around New York City. Rehab New York Street and extend it into the Honey set and the backlot as much as necessary. Try to nearly double the space of stuff to do for visitors without actually expanding the park's physical footprint.

• Too far from Disney World

Perhaps this is Disney's answer to Potter at Universal
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Blog Entries

People are overreacting to this. Universal has a contract to use these likenesses in their parks, at least for a certain amount of time. Until that license expires they still have the rights to use those characters. That contract doesn't just become null and void because Marvel has a new owner. Now certainly when it comes time to renew that license Disney may make it very hard on Universal, but until then Marvel Superhero Island is safe. The only real question is how long is the license. I highly doubt Universal would have purchased a short term license for an entire island.

According to this article, Universals Licensing agreement with Marvel Entertainment will end in 2012.

Business Editors & Entertainment Writers
    NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 19, 2002
    Marvel Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE:MVL)
    10-Year Deal Allows VU Publishing's Games Division To Create Virtual
    Persistent Universe Featuring Marvel Superheroes; Agreement Grants
    Access To More Than 4,700 Characters Including Spider-Man, The
    Incredible Hulk and The X-Men

LINK:Marvel Enterprises, Inc. Strengthens Global Presence with Universal Studios Japan and Pepsi-Cola International Deals. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

• Yes?

I really don't think Disney acquiring Marvel is about the parks at all. It's about attaining a very successful entertainment company with a recent lucrative film past. What would be really nice is if Disney just leaves the Marvel rides and characters to the Universal theme parks and takes the royalty money and then sinks it back into WDW concentrating on thier own characters and themeing. It's like a double dip of money coming out of Orlando parks for them. I don't think they need to bring any of Marvel into WDW.

And I agree with kcnole, there are existing contracts in place that don't just get thrown away when the ownership change of a company takes place.

Iger said that all current licensing contracts will be honored. I guess Disney will now get a licensing fee for visitors to Uni. Interesting . . .

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    People are overreacting to this. Universal has a contract to use these likenesses in their parks, at least for a certain amount of time. Until that license expires they still have the rights to use those characters. That contract doesn't just become null and void because Marvel has a new owner. Now certainly when it comes time to renew that license Disney may make it very hard on Universal, but until then Marvel Superhero Island is safe. The only real question is how long is the license. I highly doubt Universal would have purchased a short term license for an entire island.
    We need a smiley that smacks it's own forehead.

• MiceAge Columnist

Agreed that existing contracts will be honored; that was never in doubt. The Sentinel now reports that the Uni contracts for Spider-Man and Hulk rides may, in fact, extend to the life of the ride (ie, forever).

Which opens the possibility of yes, Uni paying Disney royalties, but also some properties existing in both places.

I also agree this is less about the parks than about the movies and merchandising. But that doesn't mean there won't be ripple effects down the road with the parks.

The Muppets haven't really taken over the parks since being bought by Disney, but then again, Marvel is much bigger than the Muppets. Why spend 4 billion and not leverage on the highly visible theme parks?
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueenRocks View Post
    I really don't think Disney acquiring Marvel is about the parks at all. It's about attaining a very successful entertainment company with a recent lucrative film past. What would be really nice is if Disney just leaves the Marvel rides and characters to the Universal theme parks and takes the royalty money and then sinks it back into WDW concentrating on thier own characters and themeing. It's like a double dip of money coming out of Orlando parks for them. I don't think they need to bring any of Marvel into WDW.
    I agree with this 100% The smart this for Disney I feel would be to keep the Marvel characters in IOA, and collect the (I'm sure) hefty liscencing/royalty fees. That way, minimal development for Disney, while taking money from a competitor.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Golden State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by hkdlfan View Post
    This means that all future marvel superhero movies will be owned by Disney right? This is super good for Disney, they can open marvel superhero rides DISNEY-STYLE.
    Not all...

Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, X-Men and the ever popular Avengers movie are all already under contract with other studios.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Blog Entries

According to this article, Universals Licensing agreement with Marvel Entertainment will end in 2012.
    I read that article three times and I didn't find that phrase in there even once.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast