Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Spiderman and Hulk move into Marveland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

Walt Disney Company has every right in the world to buy Marvel and to capitalize on it. But don't expect the public to like Marvel charachters encroaching on the park that Walt built. Give me a break.....that would be really sick.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Spiderman and Hulk move into Fantasyland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

This deal has a stench of monopoly and the government needs to step in. Not only is it insulting to Marvel fans but also Disney fans as well. This is definitely the beginning signs of Disney's downfall because they are so creatively incompetent now that they have to steal franchises to survive. Look at what they did to the Muppets, you think they are going to handle Marvel any better? Heck they can't even handle the basic principles that made Disney famous in the first place.

RIP Marvel...
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-02-2009 at 08:37 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Spiderman and Hulk move into Fantasyland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    More interesting info :::: source deadlinehollywooddaily.com

EXCLUSIVE: The first thing you should know is that Bob Iger has comic books in his blood. And the second thing you should know is that his ties to Marvel go back two generations. His late great-uncle (his grandfather's brother) was illustrator/cartoonist Jerry Iger, who partnered with illustrator/cartoonist Will Eisner back in the 1930s to create -- you guessed it -- the comic book packager Eisner & Iger Studios. I couldn't make up this stuff if I tried... (Blackthorne Publishing has released three compilations of Iger-related comics: The Iger Comics Kingdom, Jerry Iger's Classic Jumbo Comics, Jerry Iger's Classic National Comics, and Jerry Iger's Golden Features.) And their first hire was Jack Kirby, who as you know later became the co-creator of many of Marvel's best known characters with Stan Lee. So Bob Iger had an unusually rich appreciation for the comic book biz dating back to his childhood when his great-uncle would draw for him. Fast forward to Monday's Disney-Marvel deal, which I've learned was 10 years in conception, and three months in negotiation between Iger and Ike Perlmutter for the 7,000 Marvel characters -- that's right, 7,000, not the 5,000 number every media outlet keeps reporting including me.
    I'm told that, back in the 1990s, when Michael Eisner ran Disney and Bob Iger was his No. 2 (a teaming I liked to call FrankenEisner and Igor back then), the moguls had on-again, off-again coversations about acquiring Marvel. But there was never any attempt at a negotiation because "the brand didn't seem Disney," as a source tells me. Once Iger took over Disney as CEO, and recently embarked on its stock buyback, the Big Media company found itself sitting on excess cash even after investing in Pixar and everything else. That's when the troika of Iger, Tom Skaggs, Sr EVP/CFO, and Kevin Mayer, EVP of Corporate Strategy, Business Development and Technology Group, stepped up their look for growth opportunities. And Marvel came up again, this time much more seriously. Iger even discussed this directly with his division heads. It's a testament to Disney's limitless penchant for secrecy that even though about a dozen people knew Disney had decided to go after Marvel, there was no leak.
    In June, Iger flew to New York to meet with CEO Ike Perlmutter in his Marvel office. In a show of transparency, Iger had already let the wily but no-nonsense Israeli (who'd beaten back two billionaires, Ron Perelman and Carl Icahn, for control of Marvel) know that Disney was interested in buying Marvel and wanted to start negotiating. ("It would have been manipulative if I'd approached it any other way," Iger told a pal. "You know how that goes. Someone invites you for dinner. And, after a glass of wine, he tells you he wants to buy you. And the wine never tastes quite as good after that.")
    But Perlmutter expressed little interest in a deal, even though he liked Disney and all that the name, company, branding, implied. "I've heard good things about Disney. But I don't need to sell. I don't want to sell," Perlmutter told Iger, according to my insiders. But, eventually, Iger got to the heart of Perlmutter's objection: Ike didn't want to retire. He wanted to continue to work because Marvel was what he loved.
    As due diligence went on, Disney saw nothing in Marvel's books that indicated Marvel was under financial pressure or Perlmutter had any need to sell. So the price had to be right. From June to Sunday night, both sides eventually became "more comfortable" with the $4 billion valuation, according to my insiders. A little math shows that Perlmutter, who owns 37% of his public company, stands to reap $1.5 billion in cash and stock. Sources tell me that this sell-out has been Perlmutter's strategy all along. "This was always an acquisition play for Ike," one insider explains to me. "This deal with Disney just ups his game and creates shareholder value and lets him walk away a billionaire."
    Content-wise, the two moguls agreed that Marvel would continue to operate independently of the notoriously micro-managing Disney in the same way that Miramax did under the Weinstein Brothers. Though that probably won't make even hardcore fanboys feel better about the deal they're pissing on all over the Internet yesterday and today. (Given what Iger likes to refer to as the "combustion of digital word of mouth" that operates these days, Iger and Perlmutter have their work cut out for them trying to get skeptical fanboys to believe that Disney has no intention of altering the creative approach which Marvel takes to its comic books and movies. Of course, it helps the corporate confluence between the two companies that Marvel's movie fare has been and will be "PG-13".)
    Every subsequent meeting between Iger and Perlmutter took place in NY. Finally, it was late Sunday night, very late, that the deal was done. There was no celebration. Both moguls went back to their respective homes to get ready for Monday's early morning announcement.
    One more thing you should know: I've learned that, for the past 2 months, Iger has been reading the new Marvel Encyclopedia to soak up the backstories of all the Marvel characters and comics.
    Thanks for some of the additional background history info on Iger. Really one of the best overviews of Mickey meets Marvel!

The way the Pixar merger was handled speaks very well of Iger, and is a good indicator of how he will handle the Marvel merger. And Iger is well aware that Marvel did not have the same relationship, as Disney had with Pixar, prior to that merger. But it was good preparation for the Marvel merger. Iger knows it's important for Marvel to retain it's name and identity in order to keep attracting all current fans and attracting new fans.

It's quite humorous to hear one or two people cry bloody murder, about this merger. Even though Universal in California gave up the rights to Marvel characters over a year ago. Soon after they had the Simpson's in their parks, and they made over the Back the the Future attraction beautifully. So Universal has the ability to do something new with the old Marvel Island, but I can see why some Marvel fans may not be happy, with the possibility of Spiderman the Ride going away. They want to make sure Spiderman and Marvel continue to have great attraction somewhere, so Disney will definitely want to do something to keep Marvel attraction fans happy, while Universal silently releases their hold on most Marvel characters. (and behind the scenes, do what they can to reasonable retain the rights for a little while )

• Hall Of Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    This deal has a stench of monopoly and the government needs to step in. Not only is it insulting to Marvel fans but also Disney fans as well. This is definitely the beginning signs of Disney's downfall because they are so creatively incompetent now that they have to steal franchises to survive. Look at what they did to the Muppets, you think they are going to handle Marvel any better? Heck they can't even handle the basic principles that made Disney famous in the first place.

RIP Marvel...
    Wait, the Muppets where alive and well before Disney acquired them? That $150 million deal must have been way overpriced, which also included Bear in the Big Blue House that just so happened to bring in millions in revenue. The Muppets were going to Nowheresville real quick on their own before the deal. Their later films bombed hard. They need a reinvention, not just be put out there more.

And this deal is going to prevent an equal competitive field for other entertainment companies how? I guess the government should also strip DC Comics from Time Warner as well just to make it even.

I'm sorry but I just don't see the logic in your post. Marvel is going to do just fine, if not better with the help of Disney. If not Disney then another company would have gotten their hands on Marvel, I guarantee it. And who knows if that other company would leave Marvel alone or just buy the name and library of characters, kicking the rest of the company to the curb. But for some reason the fans don't like this because it is "Disney," the "Mouse House," "Disney Princesses" buying the company. Come on now. Disney is the company that brought us Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction. They should know better.

Marvel will keep their creative talent and heads running the company in New York just how they were, just like Disney left PIXAR here in the Bay Area. And now that I think about it the Pixar purchase did the company very well, not just in the feature film side but also within other arms of the company. This is a business move that is saving the company from traveling down a very steep slide in their animation department. From first hand experience I can say Pixar very much likes being a part of the Disney family. So yes, Disney can handle this.

Marvel will do the same with Disney. Their talent will keep Marvel going strong as well as enhance the limited talent on the Disney side, which has been lacking for some time now. Marvel knows how to make great stories targeting an audience Disney isn't tapping into right now. And Marvel will get bigger from this, not having to worry about their limited budgets anymore. Win win.

I am not here to wait for Disney to retrain their creative heads and slowly build from the inside out. We want change now and what better way than to merge with great talent. To me it is the same as hiring one person, but now we hired a whole company. And the great thing is they were willing as well. No stealing of anything here.

Marvel is not going to die. It's going to thrive now.

• Banned User

Honestly, I hope that I am proven wrong about the feasibility of this deal. I love Disney theme parks and a lot of their movies, and I want the company to continue as a thriving concern. So I do hope this works out great for Disney. I know they've made the most of their alliance with Pixar, although I still think they grossly overpaid. Thankfully, Pixar is still a powerhouse at the box office and in merchandising, so the company is starting to make its money back and thus has money for reinvestment into their theme parks.

I do have concerns, but I've already stated them in previous posts. As I said, I would love to be proven wrong. I just hope that, in the future, Disney uses their resources to create their own Pixars and Marvels from scratch rather than buying them long after they've become a success.

• Hall Of Promise

Marvel is a successful company that has all signs of growing. With the upcoming slate of movies and current licensing deals it is certainly looking like it is a smart move to buy now rather than later.

I believe Marvel is well worth the $4 billion, especially with the amount of potential income coming in the next few yours that is locked in. Compare this deal to what Disney payed to acquire Fox Family and Haim Saban for $5.3 billion.

• former CM

Please forgive me if these points have made elsewhere. (I don't have time to read all 11 pages of this tread now.) Some have worried about how well the Marvel characters would fit into Disneyland, but I think they would be no more strange than Star Wars characters or Indiana Jones. Maybe there could be a new land with Marvel characters, or better yet, a Marvel-themed (partly indoor) waterpark could be built.

• DTL= Disney Thug Love

the never ending Marvel thread... anyone else realize yet your going in circles and have to just wait for the outcome?
    DTL

• VFX Artist & Dark Lord

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    Marvel will keep their creative talent and heads running the company in New York just how they were, just like Disney left PIXAR here in the Bay Area. And now that I think about it the Pixar purchase did the company very well, not just in the feature film side but also within other arms of the company. This is a business move that is saving the company from traveling down a very steep slide in their animation department. From first hand experience I can say Pixar very much likes being a part of the Disney family. So yes, Disney can handle this.
    I couldn't agree more. Everyone I know at Pixar has told me that the merger with Disney (and specifically how Iger handled it) was the best thing that could have happened. And every time I visit Pixar I can feel it. They are 100% part of the Disney family, and yet Disney leaves them alone to do what they do best. My guess is that Marvel will be handled the same way.

The way that the deal with Disney and Pixar went down was that Disney owns Pixar, but Steve Jobs ended up on the Disney Board of Directors and John Lasseter was made Chief Creative Officer of Disney animation as well as Principal Creative Advisor to Walt Disney Imagineering. (Let's face it, he has my dream job.)

Now, Disney has a deal with Stan Lee and his company. Disney is about to purchase Marvel Entertainment. My prediction is that Stan Lee, former chairman and president of Marvel Comics, will be given a "Creative Advisor" role with the new Disney-owned Marvel.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213