Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Re: Spiderman and Hulk move into Fantasyland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

The Marvel universe is so different from Disney universe that I can't imagine them bringing the Marvel superheroes into Disneyland. It would just look incredibly weird...

• when you wish...

Re: Spiderman and Hulk move into Fantasyland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

Bring on the

I'm pretty sure Walt Disney just rolled over in his grave.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

• Circle of Ancients

I personally can't see Marvel characters in Disneyland itself. I would think they'd be better suited at DCA and DHS.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Suddenly, a third gate in Anaheim doesn't seem like such a silly idea to me.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Golden State of Mind

Seems like a smart move given Marvel's track record but I wonder what will Disney has cooked up in the immediate furture, since Spider Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and I think the X-Men Origin stories are all already under contract with other studios.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

With Six Flags in bankruptcy and Universal at one point think thinking of divesting their parks maybe Disney has some other deals going on.

Buy a whole theme park chain for cheap, but you arent going to put Mickey in a Six flags that is not up to the disney standard, so buy some other characters to fill in the blank.

Or they just want to build a thrill park, but a villains theme would have worked better...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I personally can't see Marvel characters in Disneyland itself. I would think they'd be better suited at DCA and DHS.
    Are there any Marvel characters based in California though? I'm trying to figure that out...Hulk?

• Sock Puppet

"Iger said though that longer-term Disney wants to be the exclusive distributor of Marvel films. While the company respects and will honor Marvel's third-party licensing deals with Paramount, Fox and Sony, "it clearly would be in our best interest if we ended up as the sole distributor," he said. "When you distribute your own films, the opportunity is even better."

The Paramount deal, for example, contemplates another five more pictures and will then be reviewed, Disney CFO Tom Staggs said.

Asked about potential Pixar-Marvel synergies, Iger said Disney executives have had some conversations internally, and Pixar creative guru John Lasseter has met with Marvel folks as well. "The group got pretty excited pretty fast," Iger said, adding he expects exciting collaboration opportunities. "Sparks will fly," he said."

This is according to the Hollywood Reporter.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Are there any Marvel characters based in California though? I'm trying to figure that out...Hulk?
    Universal Studios Hollywood has no Marvel themed rides. The only thing they have is a Marvel store and a big hulk you can take a picture in front of.

I just happened to have a picture of both

The walk-around characters were removed from the park in January of 2008.

• Golden State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Iron Man
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Time to Prep...Rally time

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Suddenly, a third gate in Anaheim doesn't seem like such a silly idea to me.
    Even though the ideal of a 3rd gate in Anaheim makes me excited, lets get the 2nd one right first.

Disney cant place Marvel Characters into the Disney parks if Universal Still has Marvel attractions. Go to DHS one day and see spiderman! Got to IOA the next day and see Spiderman. I can think of a million things that could go wrong with this situation!
    DJ Maverick
    Owner of Ace Entertainment Mobile Disc Jockey Services

Disneyland AP Holder Since 1994

If planning an event in Southern California check out http://www.planace.com for all your entertainment and wedding services needs!

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The Disney execs who had no problem putting Pixar toons in Tomorrowland won't have any problem putting Marvel characters in Disneyland -- especially when they've paid four big ones for 'em.
    Yeah, I know, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. All that money spent, they're going to put them into the parks. Ugh, this could get really ugly... let DCA take 'em. At least I like the Pixar movies and characters; I don't care much for the Marvel properties.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Personally, I can't believe Disney bought Marvel and I'm not too keen on combination. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney. But I love Marvel too and I'd rather keep the two separate. Thats just my personal opinion though.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

source deadlinehollywooddaily.com ... Interesting 3rd update about the themeparks -lightragic

3RD UPDATE: No official word from Paramount yet about how this affects the lucrative distribution agreement with Marvel. But Universal just issued this statement to me about the future of their theme park licensing pact with Marvel: "Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are a beloved and important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so. Our guests are going to get to meet Spider-Man and all our other Marvel characters. We believe our agreement with Marvel stands and that the Disney/Marvel deal will have no impact on our guest experience." Hmm, interesting how there's a "we believe" in there. Sounds unsure.
    But it's important to note that the Disney/Marvel deal statement today does not mention Marvel in connection with Disney theme parks. In fact, Disney may not be able to use the 5,000 Marvel characters to freshen its theme parks for some time. Because Universal theme parks have a long-term licensing deal with Marvel that gives them the rights to the characters, and Universal not only has Marvel attractions (like the Spider-Man ride) in Orlando and Osaka but has also built them into future theme park plans. "We have a license deal that goes on for a long time," a Universal insider tells me. Or do they?
    2ND UPDATE: Wow, was this kept secret. I knew something was up all weekend when a tipster told me that Disney had arranged an unscheduled investors call this AM and the art department at Disney Online went into a "lock-down" to create a logo. But the best guess by some of the experts I contacted was Disney buying Electronic Arts. Marvel seemed outside the realm of possibility. Yet I've learned that this was a deal which Bob Iger told intimates he'd been pursuing for a long time!
    With the whole deal worth $4 billion in cash and stock, a little math shows that Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter, who owns 37% of his public company, stands to reap $1.5 billion in cash and stock. With so much to lose, and the SEC casting a watchful eye, Perlmutter had every reason to keep this negotiation secret from everyone, even intimates who described themselves to me as "completely blindsided". But they tell me that this sell-out has been the strategy all along of this no-nonsense Israeli. "Ike is the real story here. He's really operated like the Great Oz behind the scenes, not accessible to the public but always mindful of shareholders. This was always an acquisition play for Ike," one insider explains to me. "The bottom line is he turned the whole thing around after he fought tooth and nail with Ron Perelman for the company. Today he runs a nifty company that's tidy on expenses and has no cash flow issues. This deal with Disney just ups his game and creates shareholder value and lets him walk away a billionaire."
    With this morning's announcement, Bob Iger today finally steps out of Michael Eisner's shadow and earns his keeps as Corporate America's 3rd highest paid CEO. Because everyone knows that Eisner, when he ran Disney, had to be pushed kicking and screaming to make acquisitions like ABC. (Believing that Disney did best when it grew its businesses organically.) But Iger, first with Pixar, and now Marvel, is showing himself to be the boldest Big Media CEO with an acquisition that "highlights Disney's strategic focus on quality branded content, technological innovation and international expansion to build long-term shareholder value". Now the question is whether the other moguls can keep up with him, especially Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes who's sitting on a pile of cash after the spinoff of Time Warner Cable and needs to start making acquisitions and adding value to the company instead of just buying back the company stock.
    That Marvel would be a prize worth having is a foregone conclusion: the entertainment company's aggressive exploitation of its comic book heros in movies and toys and licensing is so far unparallelled. In fact, some believe Marvel Studios is moving too fast and about to flood the comic book film market with product. Yet the public has shown an endless appetite for superhero fare. Nevertheless, marketing all those movies, when P&A costs for tenpoles average $60+M these days, was going to prove costly for Marvel. Now it can rely on the Disney distribution and marketing machine, especially around the world where Marvel was weakest.
    On the other hand, there's a real possibility that the fanboys may not want their comic book fare "Disney-fied" by the Magic Kingdom. It undermines the cool quotient. But that hasn't hurt Pixar and it probably won't hurt Marvel, either, as long as Iger and his team are smart enough to keep their hands off Marvel and just count the money about to come in. But can they? Considering how dark some of those Marvel comics have become -- the sex, the gore? Yet that's the stuff that addicts those fanboys crucial to Disney's strategy here because the company is weakest attracting teenaged boys. And the merchandising possibilities are endless given that Disney does something like $1 billion a year sales with Wal-Mart alone. Meanwhile, the deal puts Marvel on much the same footing as the DC Comics/Warner Bros relationship. But to date Disney has been much better at building synergy with its brands, and Iger emphasized that ad nauseum in his investors call this morning.
    Here's the official Disney/Marvel announcement:
    August 31, 2009
    DISNEY TO ACQUIRE MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT
    Burbank, CA and New York, NY, August 31, 2009 —Building on its strategy of delivering quality branded content to people around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSEIS) has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:MVL) in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today.
    Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney on August 28, 2009, Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. At closing, the amount of cash and stock will be adjusted if necessary so that the total value of the Disney stock issued as merger consideration based on its trading value at that time is not less than 40% of the total merger consideration.
    Based on the closing price of Disney stock on Friday, August 28, the transaction value is $50 per Marvel share or approximately $4 billion.
    "This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories," said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney."
    "We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Iger said.
    "Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's Chief Executive Officer. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."
    Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. Mr. Perlmutter will oversee the Marvel properties, and will work directly with Disney's global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel's properties.
    The Boards of Directors of Disney and Marvel have each approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, effectiveness of a registration statement with respect to Disney shares issued in the transaction and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Marvel shareholders. Marvel was advised on the transaction by BofA Merrill Lynch.

• Minion

Id say good buy, this just means that disney is going to do anything to remain for another 50 years. If you have all the characters going to be hard to go away. But would prefer if they made up there own ideas for their parks. I dont mind disney owning marvel but when it comes to themeparks i wish that they would just build a new gate for it. Nothing about marvel says disneyland. Also seems like a way to steal thunder from Universal with Potterland opening up soon.

On a side note: if they have 4 B to spend on Marvel can we get some money thrown CAs way for a dang wrap around for the Funwheel and a themed queue!

edit: just read the post above mine. Doesnt look like themepark possibilities are anything any time soon.
    Last edited by d.N.d.; 08-31-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast