Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Spiderman and Hulk move into Fantasyland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

If anybody has been to IOA and seen what Universal has done with the Marvel characters, you wouldn't be calling it an "amusement park".

Re: Spiderman and Hulk move into Fantasyland (Disney to buy Marvel for $4 Billion)

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    Personally, I can't believe Disney bought Marvel and I'm not too keen on combination. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney. But I love Marvel too and I'd rather keep the two separate. Thats just my personal opinion though.
    Agreed, Marvel to me just isnt up the Disney road for me. Disney is so family orientated, based on magic and imagination, with good clean fun.

i don't think adding them to the Disney line-up is good for the Disney image.
    will disney make profit? YES, but im afraid the people in charge are thinking about how to make big bucks more than the quality and image of disney, i personally dont think that this is the sorta thing is what Walt would like.

Hey, i may be wrong so don't be mad at me.

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    Agreed, Marvel to me just isnt up the Disney road for me. Disney is so family orientated, based on magic and imagination, with good clean fun.
    They could make attractions based on Marvel characters that are family friendly.

One of the Indiana Jones movies features a villian pulling hearts out of live victims with his hands. Didn't stop Disney from making an Indy attraction that doesn't include such violent images. No reason they couldn't make a G-rated Spider-Man ride should they so choose.

The Marvel universe doesn't feel very "Disney" to me either, but I think they'll make it fit, should they go that route.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nunz View Post
    Ack..oh well...
    maybe they should buy the Busch Gardens parks and put them all there.
    Maybe they should stop trying to buy up the whole world, and build on what they have, instead. Here's a radical idea for Disney management: develop and innovate, rather than merge and acquire. That's what a guy named Walt did.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Maybe they should stop trying to buy up the whole world, and build on what they have, instead. Here's a radical idea for Disney management: develop and innovate, rather than merge and acquire. That's what a guy named Walt did.
    Not really. Most of his classics were borrowed from others.

Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan.... the list is endless...

But he made them better. Why can't Disney continue this tradition?

Quote Originally Posted by Mousepoop View Post
    Not really. Most of his classics were borrowed from others.

Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan.... the list is endless...

But he made them better. Why can't Disney continue this tradition?
    you have a point, but can you really compare Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan To....... spider man, the hulk, wolverine, Iron man?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

you have a point, but can you really compare Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan To....... spider man, the hulk, wolverine, Iron man?

Modern day classics. Everyone knows who they are.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sock Puppet

I think the potential for these characters is far greater than anyone at Marvel or Disney realizes.

But the original question was about copying another persons work vs. innovation.

For the most part, Disney has copied, but nobody complained about it.

The real innovation is taking place at Pixar.

Quote Originally Posted by mousepoop View Post
    i think the potential for these characters is far greater than anyone at marvel or disney realizes.

But the original question was about copying another persons work vs. Innovation.

For the most part, disney has copied, but nobody complained about it.

The real innovation is taking place at pixar.
    oh i understand, your telling the truth, i did research and disney bought the rights to endless characters. Even the movies like beauty and the beast, pocahontas, and even the little mermaid were borrowed from already exsisting fairytales. Im just saying that there is a really big difference in the characters they adopted in the past and what they just did today. At least i see it that way

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Modern day classics. Everyone knows who they are.
    Exactly. I always find it funny how they somehow think what Disney did was so unique. The Lion King was the first Disney animated movie that wasn't based on an existing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousepoop View Post
    I think the potential for these characters is far greater than anyone at Marvel or Disney realizes.

But the original question was about copying another persons work vs. innovation.

For the most part, Disney has copied, but nobody complained about it.

The real innovation is taking place at Pixar.
    Exactly.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Ok, I know this is sad and wrong but I cannot process this yet. My head is spinning with all the different possiblities. There are so many bad things and so many great things that could result.... I think I need to wait and see exactly what the details of the agreement are.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Exactly. I always find it funny how they somehow think what Disney did was so unique. The Lion King was the first Disney animated movie that wasn't based on an existing story.

The lion king is Hamlet. It's not original. If you don't believe me just watch the extra features. The creative team talks about how they started with a story from the bible and then swung into Shakespeare when they realized it worked better.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Oh I understand. You are telling the truth. I did research and Disney bought the rights to endless characters. Even the movies like Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, and even The Little Mermaid were borrowed from already exsisting fairy tales. I'm just saying that there is a really big difference in the characters they adopted in the past and what they just did today. At least i see it that way
    First yay grammar! Second I agree with you, but no one is saying that the next Disney Princess is going to be Rogue or Scarlet Witch from X-men. In theory they're a business trying to make money in a difficult economy. Because Disney is so greatly ingrained in so many of our childhoods and heck even our grown up lives I think that we all get a little bit passionate about what they should or shouldn't do. I think everyone, even fancy new giants will take notice if Cyclops starts showing up in the new mystery Winnie the Pooh and Tigger show (what's that show called?) trying to help solve the mystery of the lost sandwich or Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana is suddenly in the new Spiderman comic defeat the Vulture. Disney will get a lot of crap for that if they do try it, negative imaging. But as long as they're smart about this whole thing there's a lot of money to be had. I think comic books and their characters have become mainstream as of late and very profitable. Certain companies :::cough cough Fox cough::: have wrecked some stories, so it would be in Disney's best interests to stay true to the characters and really find good people to make good superhero movies. This means keeping Tim Story away from Fantastic Four, no Punisher with John Travolta, or the oddness of Daredevil (I can't even figure out what was wrong with that movie. I want to say Ben Affleck, but I like him).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Exactly.
    Wasn't Dumbo original? Fox and the Hound was based on a book, which shocked me.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Source: Orlando Biz Journal (nice talk about florida only being eastcoast exclusive)

With visions of movies, TV, video games and theme-park attractions dancing in its head, the Walt Disney Co. said today it is buying Marvel Entertainment and its 5,000 comic-book characters for $4 billion.

However, theme-park rival Universal Orlando will likely retain the park rights to its four Marvel superstars, including Spider-Man and the Incredible Hulk.

Disney Co. President Bob Iger and Marvel Entertainment executives extolled the benefits of using Disney's worldwide, multi-platform marketing machine to promote such comic-book characters as Iron Man, X-Men and Captain America.

Iger and others announcing the deal this morning had little to say about Marvel's current arrangement with Universal Orlando, which has an entire theme-park area, Marvel Super Hero Island, dedicated to Marvel characters. Universal's contracts apparently gives it exclusive U.S. rights east of the Mississippi River for theme-park attractions built around certain of those characters, notably Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, X-Men and Dr. Doom.

Without naming Universal directly, Iger did address the theme park question on CNBC earlier today.

"Marvel characters have already proven to be strong in terms of theme park attraction and we believe there are a lot of opportunities around the world, not in every one of our parks because there are some existing agreements that we obviously have to honor, but in a number of places for us to use the Marvel characters to basically help us grow our theme park business and better entertain people," Iger said.

Universal Orlando said Marvel characters will remain a staple at its parks.

"Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure and the Marvel characters are an important part of the Universal Orlando experience. They will remain so," said Tom Schroder, a Universal spokesman. "Our agreement with Marvel stands for as long as we follow the terms of our existing contract and for as long as we want there to be a Marvel Super Hero Island."

Disney is offering Marvel shareholders a stock-and-cash deal worth $50 a share. That includes $30 cash and 0.745 shares of Disney stock for each share of Marvel stock. Disney Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs said he expects the deal to be completed by the end of the year.

The acquisition would give Disney rights to a wide variety of action characters that appeal to teenagers and young adults, and which have endured for generations. Iger said he is particularly interested in Marvel's recent success converting comic-book characters into blockbuster movies.

"Over the last decade, [Marvel Chief Executive Officer] Ike Perlmutter and his team have done a terrific job building a licensing, publishing and movie business around such great Marvel characters as Iron Man, Spider-Man and the X-Men, to name a few," Iger said. "In particular they have shown a tremendous skill in increasing the appeal of characters like Iron Man that traditionally weren't well known outside Marvel's core fan community, and we believe there is significant opportunity to mine Marvel's rich intellectual property portfolio."

Marvel has several long-term agreements in place already with various other companies for many of its characters, including movie deals with Paramount, Sony and Fox, for such characters as Iron Man, X-Men, Spider-Man, Captain America and Thor. Those contracts will be honored until their terms expire, which could be several years or more in some cases.

Marvel also has various deals with the two-park Universal Orlando. The agreements governing two of Universal's hugely popular rides, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk roller coaster, appear to be virtually perpetual deals. According to Universal's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal Orlando retains American rights east of the Mississippi River for as long as its attractions are in operation.

Universal and Marvel also have various deals for everything from merchandise sales to the theming of many other portions of the Orlando resort's Islands of Adventure theme park.

When asked about Marvel's licensing deals with other companies for movie projects, Iger said Disney would honor the terms of those contracts. He did not specifically comment on Marvel's deal with Universal Orlando, nor did Perlmutter.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast