Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
  1. #1

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Does anyone else still smell it?

    I certainly do. And, I sense a restlessness that reminds me of 2003.

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    591

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Oh yea?



    Care to elaborate on that?

  3. #3

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,888

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    It has left a noticable odor. Great thread title btw.

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    591

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    I think what's left over is still a full blown sensory experience. It'll be at least 10 yrs before all signs are removed.


    Any Chappelle's Show Fans????
    'Eisner ********d up!'

  5. #5

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Does anyone else still smell it?

    I certainly do. And, I sense a restlessness that reminds me of 2003.
    Am I correctly assuming that this has to do with the Marvel acquisition?

    Whether it does or not, yeah, I can still sniff it.

    But the Marvel thing does make it stronger for me. I remember a time when the Walt Disney Company could come up with characters and ideas without having to acquire other companies to do it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  6. #6

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Mergers and acquisitions have a way of focusing shareholder attention. They're points of inflection, and, seemingly, the same issues that were at the heart of the revolt in 2003 continue to exist today.

  7. #7

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,888

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Mergers and acquisitions have a way of focusing shareholder attention. They're points of inflection, and, seemingly, the same issues that were at the heart of the revolt in 2003 continue to exist today.
    If we are talking mergers, Marvel fans should be terrified by looking at the neglect the Muppets have received since Disney's purchase.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    591

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    :::SIDENOTE::::

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I remember a time when the Walt Disney Company could come up with characters and ideas without having to acquire other companies to do it.

    No, I can't. Lewis Carroll wrote the original Alice in Wonderland, Carlo Collodi wrote Pinocchio, The Grimm Brothers wrote Snow White and Cinderella, Rudyard Kipling wrote the Jungle Book, Victor Hugo wrote the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hans Christian Andersen wrote The Little Mermaid, Kenneth Grahame wrote The Wind in the Willows, and AA Milne wrote Winnie the Pooh.

    Only a few of Disney's characters are actually original from ink to animation. Everyone borrows from everyone. Across all forms of entertainment and beyond that. Hell, even my paragraph above is from SMHLLAW Blog Archive Retelling Old Children?s Stories – Copyright and the Public Domain
    Last edited by dizzneeland; 08-31-2009 at 09:58 AM.

  9. #9

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    It's difficult for Disney to avoid the perception of creative bankruptcy. The Marvel deal is a symptom of a deeper problem.

    Walt Disney cannot sustain itself as a holding company.

  10. #10

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,016

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Did they turn up that roasted coffee bean smell again?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  11. #11

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzneeland View Post
    No, I can't. Lewis Carroll wrote the original Alice in Wonderland, Carlo Collodi wrote Pinocchio, The Grimm Brothers wrote Snow White and Cinderella, Rudyard Kipling wrote the Jungle Book, Victor Hugo wrote the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hans Christian Andersen wrote The Little Mermaid, Kenneth Grahame wrote The Wind in the Willows, and AA Milne wrote Winnie the Pooh.
    Yes, I know and understand that. But while the acquired rights in those cases, they didn't have to acquire entire companies. Seems to me there's a difference. I could be wrong.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  12. #12

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    It's difficult for Disney to avoid the perception of creative bankruptcy. The Marvel deal is a symptom of a deeper problem.

    Walt Disney cannot sustain itself as a holding company.
    Please pardon my possible ignorance, but could you please expand upon the latter point?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  13. #13

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,330

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Disney's earnings problems are not simply the result of the recessionary economy.

    Rather, the recession has had the effect of revealing the underlying and long-standing problems in Disney's operations.

    The toxic organizational culture and the unwieldy organizational structure are increasingly causing Disney to behave like a holding company because Disney can't attract and retain talented people. And, the few employees and contractors who do work for or with the company are not able to effectively exercise their creativity. Moreover, there is no coherent, overriding vision leading the creative efforts of the company under the Disney aegis.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-31-2009 at 10:05 AM.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    591

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Yes, I know and understand that. But while the acquired rights in those cases, they didn't have to acquire entire companies. Seems to me there's a difference. I could be wrong.
    There definitely is a difference. But it was still Characters and ideas that weren't from the WDC


    AS far as aquiring entire companies?? Maybe to keep smaller companies from growing to Disney size? Kind of like, 'They're getting big, let's buy them so our name is still relevant.' I'm just throwing things out, but who knows. Some big suit may be panicking about Disney's future of being the top dog. Maybe if they let the creative department have creative control, and the finance department make the needed funds available, then they could continue being top dog, and not have to buy other entities.

  15. #15

    • Baybeh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Simi Valley
    Posts
    367

    Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    If we are talking mergers, Marvel fans should be terrified by looking at the neglect the Muppets have received since Disney's purchase.
    The Muppets were suffering from lack of creative direction long before the Disney acquisition. Sadly, making those characters relevant to current generations has been a long term struggle no one has been able to tackle.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Michael Eisner.
    By disneyboii in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
  2. Michael Eisner
    By gabrielacero in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM
  3. Michael Eisner on 9/11
    By Speedway in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
  4. MIchael Ovitz vs Michael Eisner!
    By BIGDRUE in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •