Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

Does anyone else still smell it?

I certainly do. And, I sense a restlessness that reminds me of 2003.

Re: The Foul Stench of Michael Eisner

Oh yea?

Care to elaborate on that?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It has left a noticable odor. Great thread title btw.

I think what's left over is still a full blown sensory experience. It'll be at least 10 yrs before all signs are removed.

Any Chappelle's Show Fans????
    'Eisner ********d up!'

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Does anyone else still smell it?

I certainly do. And, I sense a restlessness that reminds me of 2003.
    Am I correctly assuming that this has to do with the Marvel acquisition?

Whether it does or not, yeah, I can still sniff it.

But the Marvel thing does make it stronger for me. I remember a time when the Walt Disney Company could come up with characters and ideas without having to acquire other companies to do it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Mergers and acquisitions have a way of focusing shareholder attention. They're points of inflection, and, seemingly, the same issues that were at the heart of the revolt in 2003 continue to exist today.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Mergers and acquisitions have a way of focusing shareholder attention. They're points of inflection, and, seemingly, the same issues that were at the heart of the revolt in 2003 continue to exist today.
    If we are talking mergers, Marvel fans should be terrified by looking at the neglect the Muppets have received since Disney's purchase.

:::SIDENOTE::::

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I remember a time when the Walt Disney Company could come up with characters and ideas without having to acquire other companies to do it.

No, I can't. Lewis Carroll wrote the original Alice in Wonderland, Carlo Collodi wrote Pinocchio, The Grimm Brothers wrote Snow White and Cinderella, Rudyard Kipling wrote the Jungle Book, Victor Hugo wrote the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hans Christian Andersen wrote The Little Mermaid, Kenneth Grahame wrote The Wind in the Willows, and AA Milne wrote Winnie the Pooh.

Only a few of Disney's characters are actually original from ink to animation. Everyone borrows from everyone. Across all forms of entertainment and beyond that. Hell, even my paragraph above is from SMHLLAW Blog Archive Retelling Old Children?s Stories – Copyright and the Public Domain
    Last edited by dizzneeland; 08-31-2009 at 09:58 AM.

It's difficult for Disney to avoid the perception of creative bankruptcy. The Marvel deal is a symptom of a deeper problem.

Walt Disney cannot sustain itself as a holding company.

• Rock Star Minion

Did they turn up that roasted coffee bean smell again?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dizzneeland View Post
    No, I can't. Lewis Carroll wrote the original Alice in Wonderland, Carlo Collodi wrote Pinocchio, The Grimm Brothers wrote Snow White and Cinderella, Rudyard Kipling wrote the Jungle Book, Victor Hugo wrote the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hans Christian Andersen wrote The Little Mermaid, Kenneth Grahame wrote The Wind in the Willows, and AA Milne wrote Winnie the Pooh.
    Yes, I know and understand that. But while the acquired rights in those cases, they didn't have to acquire entire companies. Seems to me there's a difference. I could be wrong.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It's difficult for Disney to avoid the perception of creative bankruptcy. The Marvel deal is a symptom of a deeper problem.

Walt Disney cannot sustain itself as a holding company.
    Please pardon my possible ignorance, but could you please expand upon the latter point?

Disney's earnings problems are not simply the result of the recessionary economy.

Rather, the recession has had the effect of revealing the underlying and long-standing problems in Disney's operations.

The toxic organizational culture and the unwieldy organizational structure are increasingly causing Disney to behave like a holding company because Disney can't attract and retain talented people. And, the few employees and contractors who do work for or with the company are not able to effectively exercise their creativity. Moreover, there is no coherent, overriding vision leading the creative efforts of the company under the Disney aegis.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 08-31-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Yes, I know and understand that. But while the acquired rights in those cases, they didn't have to acquire entire companies. Seems to me there's a difference. I could be wrong.
    There definitely is a difference. But it was still Characters and ideas that weren't from the WDC

AS far as aquiring entire companies?? Maybe to keep smaller companies from growing to Disney size? Kind of like, 'They're getting big, let's buy them so our name is still relevant.' I'm just throwing things out, but who knows. Some big suit may be panicking about Disney's future of being the top dog. Maybe if they let the creative department have creative control, and the finance department make the needed funds available, then they could continue being top dog, and not have to buy other entities.

• Baybeh!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    If we are talking mergers, Marvel fans should be terrified by looking at the neglect the Muppets have received since Disney's purchase.
    The Muppets were suffering from lack of creative direction long before the Disney acquisition. Sadly, making those characters relevant to current generations has been a long term struggle no one has been able to tackle.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast