• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Fox puts 'Fantastic 4' back in action

Twentieth Century Fox is moving forward on a new 'Fantastic Four' film with Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman as producer and with a script by 'Heroes' co-executive producer Michael Green. Green is also the co-screenwriter of Warner Bros. Pictures' 'Green Lantern' set to star Ryan Reynolds.

Though Marvel Entertainment owns and finances properties like “Iron Man” and “Thor,” Fox controls “Fantastic Four” in perpetuity—as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties “X-Men,” “Daredevil,” and “Silver Surfer” --which, despite an appearance in the "Fantastic Four" sequel, is still a Fox priority for a solo film.

Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement signed before Marvel franchises had the drawing power they have now. In fact, the original deal was made back when Marvel was struggling to pull itself out of bankruptcy in 1997.
    more on the story at:
    Fox Re-Boots Marvel's Fantastic Four
    BFDealmemo on Variety.com

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Fox puts 'Fantastic 4' back in action

Interesting that the announcement came today of all days.

Wonder if they are going to keep the same cast or re-cast the movie. I actually enjoyed the first Fantastic Four movie, but thought the 2nd one sucked. Which was sad because anything with Silver Surfer is supposed to be awesome by default.

• Goofy

im glad to hear. i can't wait.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

What would this mean with regards to Disney? Is Fox paying Disney even though they "control" F4?
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Shablagoo!

This is CRAP! Seriously. The last 2 films stunk. Then add in the guy that made the 2 worst Batman films ever (including the one with Bat-Shark Repellent) and it is just bad news.

• Fastest Man Alive

They already made 2 crummy movies. Honestly, a big deal has been made during this whole acquisition that it includes 4700-5000 characters. And yet, all anyone can think of is "Keep making sucky Fantastic Four movies!"
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Wonder if they are going to keep the same cast or re-cast the movie.
    I hope they re-cast the movie. I liked the cast in the other 2 except for Jessica Alba. I don't know what they were smoking when they chose her for the role. She was all wrong for the part of Susan Storm.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime View Post
    What would this mean with regards to Disney? Is Fox paying Disney even though they "control" F4?
    Nothing, the language of the quote says they'll still be cutting checks to Marvel on 'FF' movies.

BTW - the first one released in '05 took in $330,579,719 worldwide, the sequel $289,047,763 two years later. That's at box office alone not counting home entertainment releases, merchandising, sponsorship deals, etc.

• VFX Artist & Dark Lord

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I actually enjoyed the first Fantastic Four movie, but thought the 2nd one sucked.
    I liked the first F4 film too. I worked on the visual effects for the second film, but have yet to see the finished movie. Actually, there are several films I worked on that year that I still haven't seen. I worked on the Silver Surfer effects.

I kind of hope they keep the same cast and just tone down the humor a bit. I wouldn't want to see a complete reboot. I thought Michael Chiklis was perfectly cast as The Thing.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Jessica Alba is one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Then they put her in skin-tight lycra or spandex (whatever the uniform was made out of)? I know exactly what they were thinking when they cast her!

I was a bit let down by the second movie, but agree that I'd like to see the cast continue on.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Banned User

Here's why: rights slowly transfer over to Disney during the next few years. If Fox doesn't execute a new movie soon it WILL have to pay Disney for the rights. If it does so now, it's covered by their current contract. Expect new Hulk movies and Spiderman films soon as well. All for the same reason. Oh, and Ironman.

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

i have to rank the second F4 film down there with Spiderman 3. That movie sucked walnuts too...