•   
    • Main Street VIPs

LA Times weighs in in a big way

The Los Angeles Times today provided extensive coverage of the Disney-Marvel story:

The Big Deal: Marvel is Disney's new family brand

Any doubts about Bob Iger's willingness to belly up to the table and roll the dice were blown away by today's surprise announcement that Disney spent $4 billion to acquire the comic-book giant Marvel Entertainment. The deal gives Disney access to Marvel's voluminous library of super heroes, which include Spider-Man, Iron Man, the X-Men, Captain America, Thor and the Fantastic Four and about 4,995 other comic-book characters.
    Be patient: Analysts weigh in on Disney-Marvel

Media analysts are starting to weigh in with their takes on the Disney-Marvel deal. The general consensus is that it makes sense for Disney, but shareholders may have to wait awhile for a payoff. Of course, preaching patience to shareholders is like trying to get your kids to sleep on Christmas Eve.
    Don't look for surge of deals in wake of Disney-Marvel

The ink isn't even on dry on Walt Disney Co.'s just-announced $4-billion stock and cash deal to acquire Marvel Entertainment, and speculation is already starting as to whether a new round of consolidation is about to start.

The usual suspects are being tossed about. The Wall Street Journal mentions MGM and Dreamworks Animation as takeover candidates, and don't be surprised if Lions Gate also is discussed.
    A web of Marvel deals [slide show]
    Rick

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: LA Times weighs in in a big way

That is a great story. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney also attempted to purchase Dreamworks Animation. It would be one of the final pieces of putting the puzzle of talent back together that Eisner managed to run off.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Hall Of Promise

I highly doubt Disney will buy DreamWorks Animation. If anything the Disney/Marvel deal will put the pressure on other major companies to purchase DreamWorks Animation while they still can. DreamWorks Animation is a great asset. Not to mention it gives Disney the right amount of competitive edge, forcing Disney to stay on its toes. It's Disney's only real competitor.

If anything I see Disney trying to gobble up DreamWorks Studios, that is if they can keep Mr. Spielberg. There is a lot of talent over at DreamWorks Studios and they make great movies. If they can buy them and offer the freedom they do Pixar I wouldn't worry about Spielberg going anywhere. And this is how Pixar ended up with Disney to begin with, starting with a distribution deal. I guess we will have two wait and see 5 years from now when that deal is on its tail end.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Thanks for posting that article Rick. I read that earlier today and put the whole purchase of Marvel into a different perpective that I hadn't considered.

It certainly would be great if Disney also buys Dreamworks Animation, but at the rate things are going, I would think Disney would soon be facing anti-trust issues if that were to happen.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    That is a great story. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney also attempted to purchase Dreamworks Animation. It would be one of the final pieces of putting the puzzle of talent back together that Eisner managed to run off.
    Would be convenient for Disney, since DreamWorks plopped themselves in the middle of the Disney Glendale campus when they built their facility.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It certainly would be great if Disney also buys Dreamworks Animation, but at the rate things are going, I would think Disney would soon be facing anti-trust issues if that were to happen.
    Can you have a monopoly on animation?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    Can you have a monopoly on animation?
    If I am not mistaken I think this is one of the things that will be looked at during the acquisition of Marvel. I remember reading that somewhere.

• Hall Of Promise

It's standard to go through the anti-trust reviews before the two companies can combine. Since the competition isn't far behind and Time Warner Co owning DC Comics, I don't see a reason for this not to happen. Remember, Disney didn't make its way to number one. It fell into the top spot after the Time Warner Co spun off their Time Warner Cable division. And News Corp is right on the heels of The Disney Co. Competition is fine and healthy.