I'm on the fence about the Marvel deal, but since Disney seems to have found $4 billion in its pockets somewhere, some thoughts on things Iger & Co. might better have done with that money:
* Re-hire some of the THOUSANDS of people made jobless by Disney in the past 12 months
* Expand Florida's Monorail system so it reaches all parks and major resorts, drastically reducing the environmental impact of tens of thousands of cars and buses a day, and proving that the Monorail can work on a mass-transit basis
* Pick up the costs of adding five new countries (don't care which, really) to World Showcase at Epcot -- oh, and maybe upgrade the Norway film while you're at it
* Develop new and better safety systems for transit at WDW so not a single life ever has to be lost again
* Redesign and reopen the Wonders of Life (the whole "we can't afford these things without sponsors" argument just went out the window)
* Put some serious thinking and money behind a revamp of Disneyland's Tomorrowland
* Send 100 executives and managers to Tokyo DisneySea for a week so they can understand how a theme park SHOULD be run
* Pay your theme-park employees a little bit more and make union negotiation a thing of the past; honestly, you don't need to be taking a hardline saying you have to keep costs down when you just spent $4 billion to buy a comic book company
* Start up a "Vault Disney" channel on cable
* Open the parks to unemployed workers for a day; give them a chance to escape their troubles and treat their families and friends to a fun afternoon -- acknowledge that while the world is in trouble, you just spent $4 billion to buy a comic book company, so, you know, you have the cash
* Revitalize the concept of Imagineering the future of the WORLD, not just the Disney world; put some money behind some real r-and-d efforts that do alot more than upgrading animatronic figures. You know, like Walt did before he died.
* Keep Disneyland and Walt Disney World a little cleaner. I mean, really, if you've got $4 billion just lying around certainly you could scrape some gum off the concrete every now and then?