Thread: $4 Billion

$4 Billion

I'm on the fence about the Marvel deal, but since Disney seems to have found $4 billion in its pockets somewhere, some thoughts on things Iger & Co. might better have done with that money:

* Re-hire some of the THOUSANDS of people made jobless by Disney in the past 12 months

* Expand Florida's Monorail system so it reaches all parks and major resorts, drastically reducing the environmental impact of tens of thousands of cars and buses a day, and proving that the Monorail can work on a mass-transit basis

* Pick up the costs of adding five new countries (don't care which, really) to World Showcase at Epcot -- oh, and maybe upgrade the Norway film while you're at it

* Develop new and better safety systems for transit at WDW so not a single life ever has to be lost again

* Redesign and reopen the Wonders of Life (the whole "we can't afford these things without sponsors" argument just went out the window)

* Put some serious thinking and money behind a revamp of Disneyland's Tomorrowland

* Send 100 executives and managers to Tokyo DisneySea for a week so they can understand how a theme park SHOULD be run

* Pay your theme-park employees a little bit more and make union negotiation a thing of the past; honestly, you don't need to be taking a hardline saying you have to keep costs down when you just spent $4 billion to buy a comic book company

* Start up a "Vault Disney" channel on cable

* Open the parks to unemployed workers for a day; give them a chance to escape their troubles and treat their families and friends to a fun afternoon -- acknowledge that while the world is in trouble, you just spent $4 billion to buy a comic book company, so, you know, you have the cash

* Revitalize the concept of Imagineering the future of the WORLD, not just the Disney world; put some money behind some real r-and-d efforts that do alot more than upgrading animatronic figures. You know, like Walt did before he died.

* Keep Disneyland and Walt Disney World a little cleaner. I mean, really, if you've got $4 billion just lying around certainly you could scrape some gum off the concrete every now and then?

• Senior Minion

Re: $4 Billion

Disney could have done any of those things -- and more.

They could have turned Disneyland and DCA into world class vacation destinations. They could have hired excellent people to develop comic book publishing and film divisions that might eventually beat Marvel at its own game.

But they wouldn't. Because none of those things are as quick and easy as simply buying a company that has spent decades doing the work.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

See I was right they did pay $4,000,000,000. MUAHAHA!!!

• Banned User

though we havent heard of any news yet, is it possible that they are planning to do such things that are listed in the above post, but are waiting for the remodel/expansion or dca to be completed?

yes I know that the question of why the heck did they buy marvel comes to mind: maybe stan lee is ready to retire and rather than just close the company he would sell it to someone else?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I'm on the fence about the Marvel deal, but since Disney seems to have found $4 billion in its pockets somewhere, some thoughts on things Iger & Co. might better have done with that money:

1 Re-hire some of the THOUSANDS of people made jobless by Disney in the past 12 months

2 Expand Florida's Monorail system so it reaches all parks and major resorts, drastically reducing the environmental impact of tens of thousands of cars and buses a day, and proving that the Monorail can work on a mass-transit basis

3 Pick up the costs of adding five new countries (don't care which, really) to World Showcase at Epcot -- oh, and maybe upgrade the Norway film while you're at it

4 Develop new and better safety systems for transit at WDW so not a single life ever has to be lost again

5 Redesign and reopen the Wonders of Life (the whole "we can't afford these things without sponsors" argument just went out the window)

6 Put some serious thinking and money behind a revamp of Disneyland's Tomorrowland

7 Send 100 executives and managers to Tokyo DisneySea for a week so they can understand how a theme park SHOULD be run

8 Pay your theme-park employees a little bit more and make union negotiation a thing of the past; honestly, you don't need to be taking a hardline saying you have to keep costs down when you just spent $4 billion to buy a comic book company

9 Start up a "Vault Disney" channel on cable

10 Open the parks to unemployed workers for a day; give them a chance to escape their troubles and treat their families and friends to a fun afternoon -- acknowledge that while the world is in trouble, you just spent $4 billion to buy a comic book company, so, you know, you have the cash

11 Revitalize the concept of Imagineering the future of the WORLD, not just the Disney world; put some money behind some real r-and-d efforts that do alot more than upgrading animatronic figures. You know, like Walt did before he died.

12 Keep Disneyland and Walt Disney World a little cleaner. I mean, really, if you've got $4 billion just lying around certainly you could scrape some gum off the concrete every now and then?
    All these points are kind of silly, its not like Disney took 4 billion dollers out at an atm and handed it over, it was all done in stock and on paper. Also, it will make Disney a Ton of money in the long run. Disney making an investment in a company is not the same as needlessly paying thousands of people to work or making huge investments in expanding transit.

Letting people go to a theme park for one day also wont make them happier, they would have to spend money to get there, money to eat there, hotel, insurance, transportation... Thats not the way to make someone happy.

Ideas 3, 5, 6 and 11 are all intresting but Disney wont do something unless it will make them money for future investments.. Wonders of life is just not nessisary. Disney did just spend a billion dollers on its biggest theme park problem. you know it as DCA. Regarding safety, Disney does always work on the safety on their rides but occasionally as in everything, accidents will happen. It is a sad reality and my heart goes out to families who loose a member to any sort of accident.

I think also that Disney knows how to run a theme park just fine. The fact that more money and detail went into the development of DisneySea has little to do with how it is run now. The people at CaliAdventure are always super nice to me and my family, even though the park is not DisneySea by any means. Disneyland too is super clean as it is. The janitoral staff work amazingly hard to keep it pristene and I applaud them.