• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Disney/Pixar being sued over Luxo

According to this article, Disney is being sued over using the Luxo name on the new AA in DHS, as well as the lamp included in the Blu Ray of Up.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I'm sure it'll be some kind of settlement, but still, for the company not to say anything until now seems odd.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Disney/Pixar being sued over Luxo

It makes sense. For twenty years, Pixar hasn't sold "Luxo" merchandise. But now that they have an animatronic at DHS in Florida and getting people to buy the ultra "UP" Bluray box set with a Luxo collectible, there's reasons for the original company to be upset.

It's actually shocking that disney would be doing this without the company's knowledge. I would have thought they approached Luxo company first.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It makes sense. For twenty years, Pixar hasn't sold "Luxo" merchandise. But now that they have an animatronic at DHS in Florida and getting people to buy the ultra "UP" Bluray box set with a Luxo collectible, there's reasons for the original company to be upset.

It's actually shocking that disney would be doing this without the company's knowledge. I would have thought they approached Luxo company first.
    I agree. In the article it says that Disney is using Luxo Jr. as the name now though, but wasn't the original short called Luxo Jr.?

Either way, Disney should have checked first, I agree and am surprised they didn't.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator

After doing more thinking, I wonder if Disney's exposure helped Luxo's sales. Maybe Luxo should be paying Disney!

haha but intellectual property still stands and Disney goofed.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Disney simply thought they were above it - and people should be happy to get Disney exposure. But we all know that isn't how it works in business.

They'll settle with some licensing agreement. Norwegians aren't greedy - they're just proud but modest
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Pixar is "diluting" good will of Luxo?????????

Are they out of their FreAkiN' mInDS???!?!?!?!?!
    It's the lawsuit that luxo is bringing that is diluting good will!
    Luxo should be paying Pixar for free advertising!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The success of Luxo Jr. caused one unanticipated problem: Pixar had used the name of a trademarked porduct without permission. This misstep was hastily corected by Ralph Guggenheim, a veteran of NYIT and Lucasfilm, for which he headed the development of Lucas’s EditDroid editing system. Guggenheim, who joined Pixar’s animation group around the time Luxo Jr. premiered at SIGGRAPH, immediately contacted Jac Jacobsen Industries to clear the use of the name. Computer animation was so new that the Luxo representatives could not even understand what Pixar had done. “They thought we had taken two of their lamps and animated them by hand in stop motion,” said Guggenheim. The notion of computer animation was still unfathomable for most of the public. Ultimately, Pixar and Luxo reached an agreement in which Luxo could screen the film at its own trade shows and Pixar could distribute the film without restraint.
    -by Amid Amidi The Art of Pixar Short Films
    Luxo sues Pixar/Disney | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1218...y-11-10-a.html

Cool new t-shirt in the Pixar Studio Store...
    the Luxo shape is made from tiny Pixar character pictograms.
    https://twitter.com/leeunkrich
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Your Average Joe

Information about the case, including a copy of the complaint, can be found here.

Interestingly, the case was assigned to Judge Laura Taylor Swain. Judge Swain, on September 10, 2009, threw out a lawsuit filed against Jerry Seinfeld's wife for trademark infringement. As the AP article notes:

"A federal judge Thursday tossed out a cookbook author's claim that comedian Jerry Seinfeld's wife was a culinary copycat when she came out with her own book explaining how to entice children to eat vegetables.

"U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain threw out the lawsuit brought against the Seinfeld couple by Missy Chase Lapine.

"The judge rejected Lapine's claims against Jessica Seinfeld, saying that the books, both best sellers, were not similar except for their goal of hiding healthy food inside the favorite meals of children.

"She called Lapine's book "a dry, rather text-heavy work" done predominantly in black, gray and shades of brownish-orange. She said Seinfeld's book was "bright and cheerful, full of different colors and various patterns." Consumers who looked at each book were unlikely to be confused, the judge said, tossing out trademark infringement claims."

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Goofus View Post
    Information about the case, including a copy of the complaint, can be found here.

Interestingly, the case was assigned to Judge Laura Taylor Swain. Judge Swain, on September 10, 2009, threw out a lawsuit filed against Jerry Seinfeld's wife for trademark infringement. As the AP article notes:

"A federal judge Thursday tossed out a cookbook author's claim that comedian Jerry Seinfeld's wife was a culinary copycat when she came out with her own book explaining how to entice children to eat vegetables.

"U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain threw out the lawsuit brought against the Seinfeld couple by Missy Chase Lapine.

"The judge rejected Lapine's claims against Jessica Seinfeld, saying that the books, both best sellers, were not similar except for their goal of hiding healthy food inside the favorite meals of children.

"She called Lapine's book "a dry, rather text-heavy work" done predominantly in black, gray and shades of brownish-orange. She said Seinfeld's book was "bright and cheerful, full of different colors and various patterns." Consumers who looked at each book were unlikely to be confused, the judge said, tossing out trademark infringement claims."

Hmm, maybe she should write a book about how to make her own book more appealing to the judges.