Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blockbuster to close almost 1,000 stores

Blockbuster Closing Hundreds More Stores Than Planned: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

And they are wondering why. Let's see ... $5 to rent a movie for 2 days. Trying to do mail-in movies like Netflix but not as good. I can't remember the last time I rented from Blockbuster to be honest.

• Minion

Re: Blockbuster to close almost 1,000 stores

we rent there every week pay 10.00 as many movies as you want no lates fees we rent a couple movies anight.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I've never been a big renter of movies. I've always preferred to see films at the theater. I hate watching movies on a computer screen. I probably rent maybe 2 or 3 films a year and did that even before Netflix existed. I did have Netflix for a while, and it was convenient but I'll still take seeing a movie projected on a big screen. Lucky for us, we have a $1.50 theater not too far from us.

• Senior Minion

I don't bother with rental stores. I just go to my local library and reserve what I want before it comes out. I'm there all the time anyway to pick up books and it's free! And I get them for 2 weeks and can renew if no one is on hold for it.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• is poppin' tags

Seriously....like they didn't see it coming. If ever I owned stock in a video rental company, I would have SOLD Loooooooong ago. Technology has surpassed that mode of entertainment. I'm not saying renting vids is bad, I just rarely ever do it. I'd say we rented maybe 6-8 movies last year...and that was only because we weren't sure if they were films we wnated to purchase. With NEW dvds going for as little as 6 bucks (Target, DMC,etc), why rent?

I feel bad for the folks who work there, though. It sucks when your company closes your location because of lack of customers. It happened to me at my very first job. C'est la vie!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Seasick

When the world switched from VHS to DVD, the market changed to make all new movies affordable for purchase, whereas with VHS there was usually a window where you could only rent a movie (or pay $100 to buy it, not likely).

Blockbuster, and other video rental stores, always price movies for purchase higher than everywhere else, in my experience.

If video stores became the go-to place to rent and buy movies, maybe they'd be doing better. As it stands, I buy more movies than I rent, and Blockbuster is the last place I'd go for that.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

^ Agreed with that one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I have stopped doing business with Blockbuster for years. I just got sick and tired of paying money to rent dirty and scratched DVD's. Not saying it's their fault. I just decided to purchase PPV's or go out and buy the movies brand new.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It's redbox for me. I have never paid to rent a movie there (though they don't bgive out as many free codes anymore)

We did rent a movie from Blockbuster a few months ago for some reason and it was SEVEN dollars. I about had a heart attack.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

I don't bother renting because I go to the theathers when I want to see a particualry movie...Im more of a classic movie fan and I love tuner classic movies so I really don't need blockbuster..my brother rents from redbox and he loves it cheap too I hear
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Still wants to be a cat!

Since we now have time to see movies again at home (child is almost 13 now) we have gone back to Netflix. Went to Blockbuster last week for an older movie and paid almost $5.00, sorry just not worth it to me.

Nice to have time again, so back to old habits of movie nights at home (heck even "R" rated ones)!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

When they started editing movies, from my understanding, or only putting specific films on their shelves-which, btw, they have every right to do-I elected to take my business elsewhere. I like to have more choices then the ones they will let me have.

Netflix is, by far, much better.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• "Bread-Making Viking"

I used to go to blockbuster to rent video games, but lately the store near me for some odd reason hasn't received any news games for a few months now. I'm assuming that one will be closing very soon, oh well.

"A boy and his dragon, a bond that can never be broken"

Probably the most HTTYD obsessed person here. =3

• Animation Domination

I’m not surprised that Blockbuster is doing so badly. I haven't gone to Blockbuster in a long time. It's been probably over 10 years since I gone. It's not only the scratched DVD's but it's also the lousy service. Another thing Hollywood Video isn't doing so well either. The Hollywood Video that was close to where I live got out of business. If I want a DVD I either buy it or just rent it at the library (it’s cheaper).
    "You are watching FOX"

• Banned User

I read about this! Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I went to Blockbuster to rent a movie! I usually just either see them in theaters or just "On-Demand" them at the comfort of my own home. I hate renting DVDs and then they have scratches on them or skip or something..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast