Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Mouseketeer

Re: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon - new teaser

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    An artist's signature style is a unique thing. Ever notice the similarities in everyone from Rembrandt to SHAG's work? From painting to painting they have the same or seemingly near the same persons and places depicted.

Chris Sanders brought his unique signature style from Disney to DWA.
    I can understand and even expect a visual similarity, but the mannerism is something that should be somewhat unique to Stitch. I don't even like Stitch and am basing this off of just one quick scene, but this reminds me of actors who can only ever portray the same character no matter the role.

I'll keep mum now until I see the movie.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Still wants to be a cat!

Really looking forward to this one!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Me too!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

How To Train Your Dragon
    Artists' Panel/Book Signing

March 20, 2010
    Opening Reception / Mar 20, 3:00PM - 7:00PM

Part of the creative force behind "How to Train Your Dragon" will be in our gallery. They will be here for a panel discussion, presentation, Q and A as well as a book signing. We are pleased to welcome:

Speakers in attendance are:

Alessandro Carloni (Head of Story)
    Pierre-Olivier Vincent (Art Director)
    Simon Otto (Head of Animation)

more to be announced...

Entrance Fee: $2 (seats are limited, first come first serve, plenty of standing room allowed)

Start time: (3pm)

Panel and presentation: (3:30pm - 5pm) Artist Panel

Q and A: (5pm - 6pm)

book signing: OPEN TO ALL (6pm - 7pm)

Gallery Nucleus
    210 East Main St, Alhambra CA 91801

How To Train Your Dragon Artists' Panel/Book Signing - Nucleus | Art Gallery and Store

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    Is it just me or does the dragon look and act a lot like Stitch?
    It's not just you. And what was a cute face for Stitch is not cute, it seems, on a dragon. :P

• Animation Domination

I might watch it if reviews are good.
    "You are watching FOX"

• keh!

haha, i like how the beginning of the trailer has epic music and shows Madagascar, that movie was faaarrr from epic. ugh.

as for the movie, the concept seems cool but i don't like the design of the dragon. i'm sure they were going for something very different, but it just looks like a newt to me, the shape is weird. and the dragon doesn't look cute at all : |

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    Is it just me or does the dragon look and act a lot like Stitch?
    I noticed that too! In fact that's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the trailer before P&tF. I suspect Chris Sanders has a visual style that reoccurs throughout his movies.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 1:
    The Deadly Nadder

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dygaH9nb6WU"]YouTube - DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 1: The Deadly Nadder[/ame]

DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 2:
    The Gronckle

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6vBhR-yL8&feature=channel"]YouTube - DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 2: The Gronckle[/ame]

DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 3:
    The Monstrous Nightmare

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1imjNNNYk&feature=related"]YouTube - DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 3: The Monstrous Nightmare[/ame]

DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 4:
    The Hideous Zippleback

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLnoJmdQNFk&feature=related"]YouTube- DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 4: The Hideous Zippleback[/ame]

DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 5:
    The Night Fury

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFYkFefCx4&feature=channel"]YouTube - DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 5: The Night Fury[/ame]

DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 6:
    The Terrible Terror

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoQPafyblxA&feature=related"]YouTube - DreamWorks' "How To Train Your Dragon" - Dragon Training Lesson 6: The Terrible Terror[/ame]

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

First industry reviews on HttyD:

Variety

"DreamWorks Animation tries a new tack embracing sincerity over satire..."

"A thrilling drama interspersed with amusing, comedic elements (rather than the other way around) from "Lilo & Stitch" directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois."

"...seems destined to become another cornerstone franchise."

The Hollywood Reporter

Bottom Line: A lively though disjointed 3D cartoon that never quite entices an audience to invest emotionally in its fantasy world.

"How to Train Your Dragon" pits dragons against Vikings with one small child standing between them crying, "Why can't we all just get along?" The Vikings are all brawn and matted, bushy hair -- and there's an implication of not much brains -- while the dragons are a menagerie of fierce flying, fire-belching, multitasking creatures that fear and are feared in equal measure. From this, DreamWorks Animation tries to fashion a 3D movie that will intrigue kids and adults alike but might play raggedly in both camps.
    How to Train Your Dragon -- Film Review

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Sanders, having left Disney after 2006's Pixar deal (which put his "American Dog" under new bosses), already was at DreamWorks and had spent a year directing the prehistoric story "The Croods." Damaschke thought Sanders would be a good choice to replace Hastings (whose talent agency did not return a call seeking comment). "I didn't know anything specific about the story," Sanders says. "I just had a good feeling about it." He set aside "The Croods," which will now come out a year later than originally scheduled, in March 2012.

It was October 2008, and although "How to Train Your Dragon" previously had been moved from November 2009 to March 2010 (largely to steer clear of "Avatar"), Sanders didn't have a minute to lose; DreamWorks, confident it made good sense to release three movies this year, worried that if the film wasn't ready by March it would slip all the way to 2011. Even when every scene in an animated movie is written, storyboarded and animated, it takes months more to finish the film's lighting, scoring and sound mixing, meaning that Sanders had just a year to remake it.

One of Sanders' first calls was to DeBlois, his "Lilo & Stitch" collaborator, who was in Seattle, trying to kick-start several live-action movies that he would write and direct. "Chris said, 'What are you doing right now?' " DeBlois recalls. "I bought a plane ticket. And we started that week."
    more at:

'How to Train your Dragon' and a baptism of fire

Filmmakers Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders faced a tough deadline when they were brought in to rework the animated film.

'How to Train Your Dragon' and a baptism of fire - latimes.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Paramount Pictures is using high-pressure tactics against theaters to book DreamWorks Animation's upcoming big-budget 3-D film, "How to Train Your Dragon" onto scarce 3-D screens around the country, according to industry executives. "Dragon," opening March 26, will be going head to head against the swords-and-sandal 3-D picture "Clash of the Titans," from Warner Bros., which opens a week later, and Disney's 3-D "Alice in Wonderland," still drawing audiences and expected to remain in theaters for several more weeks.

Paramount Pictures is telling theaters that if they don't show the upcoming DreamWorks-produced "Dragon," on a 3-D screen, then it will withhold from the theater a 2-D version of the movie to play instead, according to four theater industry executives, who asked not to be identified for fear of reprisal. Many multiplexes only have a single 3-D screen, so not having a conventional version of the highly anticipated DreamWorks family film to play on their other screens would severely affect ticket sales.

"The message is: If you have one 3-D screen available and you don't play ["Dragon"], they're not going to give you the version in 2-D," one California theater operator said. "It's an underhanded threat."

Studios are also engaged in the mogul equivalent of hand-to-hand combat over scarce 3-D screens.
    'Dragon' versus 'Titans' versus 'Alice' in fight over 3-D screens - latimes.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The Art of 'How to Train your Dragon' book-signing today at DreamWorks Animation, Chris Sanders is seated in second chair, co-director Dean DeBlois is at the far end:

DWA Book signing: on Twitpic

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast