Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon - new teaser

DreamWorks Animation's "How To Train Your Dragon" opened No. 4 on the weekend via Paramount in Russia, Romania and the Ukraine for a take of $8.1 million from a 698 locales.

The 3D animation about a Viking dragon hunter turned dragon owner drew $7.5 million from 600 screens in Russia, which Paramount says is 25% more than the comparable opening figure for Pixar/Disney's "Up" and 50% more than the opening gross of Pixar/Disney's "WALL-E ."
    'Alice' still overseas champ
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

AT first glance "How to Train Your Dragon" the new action-adventure film from DreamWorks Animation based on the whimsical children’s book by Cressida Cowell, does not seem to share much with the Coen brothers’ "No Country for Old Men" or M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village." But a closer look reveals some similarities. From washed-out landscapes to minimally lighted rooms, the Nordic locations in "Dragon" feel more lived in and rough edged — more realistic — than one typically finds in animation. This comes from the influence of an outsider, the Oscar-nominated cinematographer Roger Deakins. Best known for his work on “A Beautiful Mind,” "The Shawkshank Redemption" and Coen brothers’ films, Mr. Deakins had little experience working in animation, save for some consulting on “Wall-E.” But as the co-directors of “Dragon,” Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders ("Lilo & Stitch"), were thinking of a way to distinguish their film from other animated work, they decided to bring in someone who could see light in a different way.

Below Mr. Deakins, Mr. DeBlois and Mr. Sanders discuss how they achieved the film’s look.

full article at:

This Way There Be Dragons
    “How to Train Your Dragon” might be made for kids, but the lighting is for grown-ups.

Film - Methods Behind ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ - NYTimes.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

I'm still trying to decide if I want to see this or not.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    My friend has seen it twice officially now and says its his favorite Dreamworks movie so far. I asked him if he was paid to say that. He said he was paid to work on it but not paid to say that. Take that with a grain of salt I suppose.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Did he go to the crew party Saturday?

and maybe someone should delete New Teaser from this thread's title now?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Here is a very cool post that exudes excitement for the film from the ridiculously talented & super nice Shane Prigmore ('Coraline'):

In the 3 years I've been at Dreamworks I have been lucky to witness and be part of some pretty incredible things. This film and its crew happen to be a couple of those. I am so proud of Dreamworks for How to Train Your Dragon. Directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois (Lilo and Stitch) came on in the final hour to completely re-rout from scratch this already long developed film. They collaborated with an incredible crew and the entire studio under an impossible deadline to create something that is truly awe inspiring and special.(and not just for Dreamworks.)

Chris and Dean asked me to come on board to collaborate with them and my friends Nico Marlet (lead designer/genius) and Takao Noguchi(modeler/designer) to finalize the design of the main Character "Hiccup". Then a small team of us were asked to explore an entirely new Dragon and main character "Toothless the Night Fury".(Below are a couple of my pieces that appear in the art of book.) The environment was always open and collaborative. A couple character thoughts I suggested even made it to the screen in all of this. My contributions were definitely a speck in the big scheme of Dragons, So read the credits in the theater and give that amazing crew a round of applause. They've earned it. Dreamworks takes a lot of flack about their films both story wise and look wise, and sure, some of it is justified."SOME" of it. It's great that Kung Fu Panda opened some eyes, But wait, there's more. An incredibly talented team from many varied backgrounds and experiences came together to make Dragons something special. Go see it and have a blast!!!
    SHANE PRIGMORE

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon Discussion Thread

DreamWorks Animation's "How to Train Your Dragon," the newest 3D attraction to hit theaters, fired up an estimated $12 million in 4,055 theaters in North America on Friday.

Based on the children's book by Cressida Cowell and directed by the team of Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders, the PG-rated Paramount release about a Viking boy who makes friends with a dragon in the enemy camp, easily commanded the top slot for the day as Disney's "Alice in Wonderland," which has reigned atop the boxoffice for the previous three weekends, should shift to the second spot for its fourth round, having pulled in about $4.8 million on Friday.
    'Dragon' breathes b.o. fire Friday

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Just got back from seeing it and LOVED it. It was cute, funny and had a lot of heart. It was great, both my boys (ages 3 and 7) loved it and stayed engrossed in it. I can't say I enjoyed it more than any Pixar movie, but it's equal with some of them.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

My niece & nephew (10 and 8) both have seen it twice already on Friday & Saturday with birthday parties. They loved it too, especially my niece who is a huge 'Lilo & Stitch' fan.

'Dragon' makes weekend debut at No. 1

'Alice' slips to second place with $17.3 million

"How to Train Your Dragon" has breathed a bit of boxoffice fire with a $43.3 million opening weekend and a No. 1 debut.

Yet the DreamWorks Animation adventure came in well behind the studio's last cartoon comedy, "Monsters vs. Aliens," which opened with $59.3 million over the same weekend last year.

Disney's "Alice in Wonderland," which had been No. 1 the previous three weekends, slipped to second place with $17.3 million. It raised its domestic total to $293.1 million.

John Cusack's raunchy comedy "Hot Tub Time Machine" had a lukewarm No. 3 debut of $13.7 million.
    'Dragon' makes weekend debut at No. 1

"Alice" was challenged by Paramount's release of DreamWorks Animation's "How To Train Your Dragon," which drew $31 million from 5,594 locations in 35 markets, of which 32 are new. (Last weekend's debuts were in Russia, the Ukraine and Romania.)

Overseas cume for the 3D animation about a lonely Viking teenager who befriends a giant dragon stands at $42 million. The worldwide tally is $85.3 million. Although "Dragon" opened No. 1 domestically, it will finish in the No. 2 spot behind "Alice" on the foreign circuit.

Biggest boost for "Alice" were openings in France (generating $14.9 million from 746 screens) and in China ($5.1 million from 450 locations). "Dragon," which opened No. 1 in Brazil, Mexico and Spain, did best in its second weekend in Russia ($6.4 million for a market cume of $16.7 million).
    'Alice' is No. 1 int'l hit for fourth week
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-28-2010 at 07:38 PM.

We just go back and the kiddo (8 yo boy) loved it. I liked it as well! The dragon is pretty darn cute and has some great expressions. My son never got into Shrek, so I was wondering if he would like it or not, be he was happily engrossed.

For some reason I liked the twins, they were funny and cute, and their look reminded me of Nelson. Old hair band from the nineties....

• or CBF

HTTYD was arguably the best Dreamworks movie I've seen since Shrek. Very nicely done with great characters and stunning visuals. Chris Sanders has redeemed himself.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    How To Train Your Dragon

Artists' Panel/Book Signing

March 28, 2010
    Opening Reception / Mar 20, 3:00PM - 7:00PM

Part of the creative force behind "How to Train Your Dragon" will be in our gallery. They will be here for a panel discussion, presentation, Q and A as well as a book signing. We are pleased to welcome:

Speakers in attendance are:

Alessandro Carloni (Head of Story)
    Pierre-Olivier Vincent (Art Director)
    Simon Otto (Head of Animation)
    Nico Marlet (Character Designer)
    How To Train Your Dragon Artists' Panel/Book Signing - Nucleus | Art Gallery and Store
    Fun & entertaining event today with some very happy & grateful DW animation employees. They put together a terrific presentation featuring character design & development, production design, technical design, storyboards, modeling, texturing and exciting clips from the finished film.

Left to right: Nico Marlet, Pierre-Olivier Vincent, Alessandro Carloni & Simon Otto

They had alot of wonderful stories about the evolution of the film over the past 5 years, especially about the last year since Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois came on board to overhaul and direct it.

The four men were a interesting mix of personalities, backgrounds and accents with Marlet and Vincent hailing from France, Carloni from Italy and Otto from Switzerland. They are part of the team that won 10 Annie Awards last year for 'Kung Fu Panda' including Best Picture over 'Wall-e' and Character Design in an Animated Feature Production for Marlet. He'd won the same honor in 2006 for 'Over the Hedge.'

With "Dragon" now in theatres they are hard at work on 'Kung Fu Panda 2' and 'The Croods' again with Sanders & DeBlois.

And bonus surprise, near the end of the presentation animator Mark Walton showed up and sat on the floor next to me. Walton was the voice of RHINO in Walt Disney Pictures Oscar-nominated 'Bolt' and the short, 'Super Rhino.' He has left WDAS after more than 12 years and is now at DreamWorks Animation where he is working on "some 'Shrek' stuff." But it's slightly closer to where he lives so he seems quite happy. Thanks Mark!

MORE PHOTOS AT:

http://www.gallerynucleus.com/photos/72157623600675247#
    Last edited by ALIASd; 03-29-2010 at 10:05 PM.

• Minion

Saw this flick tonight, and I absolutely LOVED it. Held my attention, my heart was in it. A really top notch movie.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

An adolescent Viking who bonds with a dangerous dragon? Sounds a little like Lilo & Stitch. Well, it's no coincidence because How to Train Your Dragon (opening today from DreamWorks Animation and released by Paramount Pictures) reunites Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois. They even get excited when you bring up the comparison.

"One of the things that Dean and I both learned from the last few movies is that we always want more real estate where music and acting can do the writing for us," Sanders suggests. "And one of the things we're happiest about with this film is that we found several places where we could step back and let [that happen]."

"We looked at various movies with a similar vibe and found them to be lacking in originality and depth," DeBlois adds, "particularly dragon movies of late, so we went back to an original source of inspiration for us, which was The Black Stallion, and that was such a pure bond that was created between that boy and that wild horse on the beach, and there's that incredible cinematography by Caleb Deschanel. We wanted to be efficient with our storytelling and create pockets within the movie where it can be a little timeless, and let it breathe and open up and not feel rushed along by the pace and let it specifically be wordless and let the music carry us through. So it was a mission to protect that space tooth and nail and get it down to its essence because we weren't working with that much time."

Indeed, the pair was very rushed, with only a year to jumpstart a film that was already in production but deemed too kid-friendly and precious. In an ironic twist, considering what happened to Sanders at Disney with American Dog turning into Bolt, Sanders put The Croods on hold at the studio to attend to Dragon, based on the popular Scottish-tinged children's book by Cressida Cowell. Sanders immediately recruited his former partner.
    full article at:

DreamWorks Unleashes the Dragons

Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois and Simon Otto explain How to Train Your Dragon

DreamWorks Unleashes the Dragons | AWN | Animation World Network

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I want to go see this, (hence the current avatar) but its spring break and I really don't want to sit in a theatre full of kids to watch it. And we only have one theatre... I'd have to drive 40 miles to find a second screen...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast