Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon Discussion Thread

Let's Do Amazing | Amazing Video Stories from HP: http://bit.ly/daTJLU via @addthis Hey, check it out, I'm in an HP ad. On TV this week.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Sanders_
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it. Kung Fu Panda still reigns supreme in my opinion for Dreamworks but this gets close. I think overall the story is a tad disjointed and amazingly predictable, which is why it's not my favorite, but it's definitely in the top 3 (third being Monsters vs Aliens). The rest of the Dreamworks library are not even in the top 10.

I think this movie just reminds me of too many other films: Lilo & Stitch, Rescuers Down Under, Iron Giant, etc.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• User

I've seen it twice now. Once Friday afternoon (2D) and again yesterday evening in 3D. Both times I've gone there's been only a few other groups in the theater. But that's probably because I picked times where most kids would have school or it's late at night on a school night.

I love this movie (i'm totally not listening to the score right now... no.... ). It's actually the first Dreamworks film I've seen in theaters since Shrek 2 (and I didn't even want to see that, the last Dreamworks film I went to voluntarily... was Spirit, and that was about 2002... ). I have a weird relationship with Dreamworks. Their storylines and art within the films can be wonderful and creative, and the animation is always amazing ( ), but I think that I can't get past some of the humor. I've always preferred their traditional animation. I think that's because they focused more on story back in those days rather than the humor... I liked how HTTYD went back to that format. Dreamworks, please continue to make more films like this, you'll actually get my money. haha

HTTYD is up there in my favorite movies that Dreamworks has made now. Right up with Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, and the first Shrek. (I would put Spirit in there, but I haven't seen it in forever... so I'll have to watch it again. haha)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I posted this in the movie thread but here's my ranking of Dreamworks films. I'm not including the Aardman films (chicken run, wallace & gromit, flushed away) because I loved those.

Here's my Dreamworks ranking:

1. Kung Fu Panda
    2. How to Train Your Dragon
    3. Monsters vs Aliens
    4. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
    5. Prince of Egypt

9. Shrek
    10. Madagascar, Over the Hedge

20. Shrek 2, Madagascar 2, Antz, Road to El Dorado

75. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

100. Bee Movie, Shark Tale

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Thumbs up Re: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon Discussion Thread

Here's my review from a local paper (I'm Brent. My co-reviewer Roberta is also my mother). Please also visit this review at

http://santamariasun.com/film

So they get a pageview from it .

This is the latest computer animated film from DreamWorks Animation Studios (Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda). A wimpy-but-clever young Viking named Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) is determined to impress his immense clan chief father (Gerard Butler) by killing a dragon. However, he winds up befriending the beast instead—just as his father decides to go to war with the dragons. Showing in 3D and 2D.

Roberta: The 3D was so cool, I was actually yelling out with joy at the beginning. I’m really getting into the 3D thing. The only thing is, theaters should charge less—but it’s still worth it.

Brent: What makes the movie stand out from other CGI fare are the quirky visuals—the hallmark of directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois (the minds behind Lilo and Stitch). We’re shown various kinds of dragons, each with their own distinctive physiology and behavior.

Roberta: They were all so interesting, and they were all drawn (or CGI’ed) so uniquely, it must have been fun to create them. It’s funny when one head of a two-headed dragon breathes gas and the other head lights it, and the Viking students have to know which one to throw the water at.

Brent: Hiccup gets to befriend the coolest one of all, the mysterious “Night Fury” breed. We both agreed that he seemed like Stitch’s cousin, with a face dominated by large, expressive, forward-set eyes and a wide toothy mouth. Hiccup names him Toothless because his teeth are retractable—perhaps representing his alternately menacing and adorable demeanor, another Stitch-like trait. I got the Toothless Happy Meal toy at McDonald’s before I saw the movie, and now I’m glad I did.

Roberta: This is amazing animation. The animators were able to convey all of the dragon’s thoughts and emotions (without him speaking) and win you over.

Brent: There’s something endearing about a character conveyed entirely through visuals (think of Dumbo, or Dopey from Snow White). The very familiar plotline here is basically Avatar, Jr., with our hero discovering his people have got “the enemy” all wrong.

Roberta: It’s a beautiful moral, learning to look past pre-conceived notions. The dragon was ultimately so likable, even though he was portrayed as scary at the first encounter, and the way the boy was with the dragons was so loving—he reminded me of you, Brent.

Brent: You mean because his hair looks like mine?

Roberta: Well, that and, like, you wouldn’t have wanted to kill the dragon.

Brent: Yeah, I’m a nice guy. Especially for a movie critic.

Roberta: When Hiccup learned to fly on the dragon’s back, I was able to share the moment with him from my safe theater seat. I could watch it, but there’s no way I could ever go on something like that!

Brent: This was definitely better than the last boy-and-his-dragon movie I saw, Eragon, which featured a cool dragon, but messed up virtually everything else. (The elves didn’t even have pointed ears! But I digress.) We also get the popular “disappointed dad” theme, previously used in (just off the top of my head) Astro Boy, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Ratatouille, Happy Feet, The Wild, and Chicken Little. (Methinks there are a lot of Hollywood screenwriters whose fathers wanted them to be something other than writers.) It feels most contrived during the set-up—Son: “He never listens to me.” Father: “What am I going to do with him?”—before we meet Toothless and the movie takes off. The human/dragon friendship is the emotional key, and it works, so everything else works. Plus, there are a few decent plot turns along the way.

Roberta: Later, you see that there is love between the father and son. And it was such a pleasure to hear late-night host Craig Ferguson’s voice as the father’s friend/blacksmith/dragon battle instructor, and I liked his character. He’s a tough Viking, too, but he’s more tender with the kid, compared to the father. He’s kind of protecting him. It’s interesting that he trains the kids by doing (fighting dragons). There was excitement. The girl character, Astrid, she’s a little bit jealous, but she competes fiercely. She’s not just there to be Hiccup’s love interest, which is always nice to see.

Brent: The other students are stock types—the show-offy jock, the bickering twins, the fact-spouting geek—but they were OK.

Roberta: I also want to mention the Vikings’ hair and beards, which re
    ally had such a feel of thickness and realness.

Brent: As far as humor, there are some funny parts, but don’t go expecting something like DreamWorks’ Monsters vs. Aliens or Madagascar. The pop-culture references are few and far between, and there’s no “I Like to Move It, Move It”-type musical number. The focus here is more on story, character, and action. This is not a criticism, merely an observation. I think the studio wanted to give this film a bit more gravity (but there’s still plenty of dragony fun).

Roberta: I think this movie would be good for all ages, young and old.

Brent: Watching the credits, we saw that there were no less than four people named Brent who helped make this movie, and anything with that many Brents involved has to be good.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 04-01-2010 at 03:15 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Warner Bros.' 3D action fantasy "Clash of the Titans" fetched an estimated $4.2 million from Thursday night and midnight performances in about 3,000 domestic theaters.

The solid but unspectacular start gave it only a share of second place in the daily boxoffice rankings. DreamWorks Animation's "How to Train Your Dragon" registered more than $5 million on Thursday to top the daily boxoffice pecking order and push the Paramount-distributed pic's cume to $63 million through its first seven days.

Disney's Miley Cyrus starrer "The Last Song" also collected $4.2 million in its second day of release. "Song" has rung up $9.3 million since its Wednesday launch, marking a lustier debut than expected for the PG-rated romantic drama.
    full article at:
    'Titans' starts strong, but can't slay 'Dragon'

3D fantasy film ties with 'Last Song' for second Thursday night

'Titans' starts strong, but can't slay 'Dragon'
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

At first I was really excited about Clash of Titans.

Then I saw the trailer. And then the tv ads. I don't know what it is about this movie but I have never been so turned off by a movie I was originally really excited to see.

And now the horrible LA Times review. It is titled "Clash & Burn". That should say enough.

I so hope dragon comes out #1 this weekend.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Sam Worthington remains review-proof:

The previous weekend's top movie, the animated adventure "How to Train Your Dragon," ran a close third with $29.2 million, raising its 10-day total to $92.3 million.

Miley Cyrus' teen drama "The Last Song" premiered at No. 4 with $16.2 million. It has taken in $25.6 million since opening Wednesday.
    'Titans' tops weekend boxoffice

'Tyler Perry's' opens at No. 2 followed by 'Dragon' and 'Song'

'Titans' tops weekend boxoffice

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The weekend's No. 2 film, DreamWorks Animation's "How to Train Your Dragon," opened in 19 territories, and garnered an animated $38.5 million overall from 7,658 locations in 54 markets.

Nearly 70% of the tally derived from some 3,477 3D venues. "Dragon's" best openers were in the U.K ($7.8 million from 716 sites, with 76% of revenues coming from 3D locations) and France, where it grabbed $4.7 million from 743 spots.
    'Titans' takes lead overseas

• ...is busy, please hold.

Say it yesterday.

Its was good, simplistic plot and B characters. Some unseen plot twists, 3D wasn't a gimmick but was used to layer the film. A definite high Matinee!

PS. The jury agrees ...."Toothless is adorable! 8D"
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Future Animator

I'd just like to say I am absolutely in love with this film. <3333

I know it's got its flaws, but as far as I'm concerned the things they did right overshadow all of those. =) It's got a simplistic overall plotline, but it was done well and the world and characters were lovable enough that you wanted to see them through to the end anyway. Amazing animation and all-around visuals. Very refreshing to see Dreamworks throw aside their usual comedy formula. And I know I'm a sucker for good 3D, but boy were all those flying scenes breathtaking in IMAX. o____o

The music's great too.. *plays soundtrack on iTunes*

I've been drawing dragons all over my sketchbooks ever since March 26th.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

TV people battle 'Titans' for #1 spot, 'Dragons' drops only 13% - final weekend numbers on Monday:

There was a razor-thin race between the new romantic comedy "Date Night" and the second weekend of the 3-D blockbuster "Clash of the Titans" for the top spot at the box office this weekend, but it was "How to Train Your Dragon" that ended up with the most to crow about.

Ticket sales for DreamWorks Animation's animated feature "Dragon" dropped a minuscule 13% on its third weekend to $25.3 million from Friday through Sunday, according to an estimate from distributor Paramount Pictures. That impressive performance erases any doubts that the 3-D movie will end up a hit despite its tepid debut. It's the smallest third-weekend drop ever for a DreamWorks Animation movie, signifying extraordinarily positive word-of-mouth.

Its domestic total after three weeks is $133.9 million. That's just $6.3 million short of DreamWorks' "Monsters vs. Aliens" at the same point last year, even though the previous movie's opening weekend was $15.6 million higher. "Dragon" now looks very likely to pass the $200-million mark that signifies a hit for DreamWorks Animation.

#1 'Date Night' or 'Clash of the Titans'
    #3 'How to Train Your Dragon'
    #4 'Why Did I Get Married Too'
    #5 'The Last Song'

First look: 'Date Night' may have edged out 'Clash of the Titans'; 'How to Train Your Dragon' drops just 13% | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

This movie will deserve the success it gets. I saw it a few nights ago, and this is a great movie, despite it's predictable storyline. I would actually love to see it again.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

In second place overall was DreamWorks Animation's "How to Train Your Dragon," which drew $23.7 million from 7,033 venues in 55 markets, with nearly 70% of the gross emanating from 3,357 3D locations. Offshore gross total stands at $148.1 million to date.

"Dragon's" only opening market was Poland, where weekend action ($790,000 from 95 spots) was dampened by the Saturday air crash that killed the Polish president and dozens of political and military leaders. (Cinemas in Poland are closed until Tuesday, said Paramount.)

The animation title's holdover in Australia produced a No. 1 ranking with $3.2 million from 358 spots, an increase of 42% from the prior weekend, with 68% of the action coming from 3D venues.

"Dragon's" worldwide cume stands at $282 million.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i682d2ee2ce2c81781ebe057b89f201fe

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

If only Kick-A** had been in 3-D maybe we would have had a different outcome. But instead, the DreamWorks Animated 3-D flick How to Train Your Dragon squeezed out a surprise come-from-behind first-place finish with an estimated $20 million take in its fourth weekend in release.

Falling only 20 percent, Dragon’s total now stands at $158.6 million; a dearth of competing kids’ movies has been beneficial to the well-reviewed Viking flick.

Box Office Report: 'How to Train Your Dragon' ekes out a surprise win over newcomer 'Kick-***' | EW.com
    Last edited by ALIASd; 04-18-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast