Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

They did it to me again (Tarzan special edition DVD)

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/an...rzan/main.html

The 2-disc set releases next week. The cycle I feared has begun- I bought the DVD when it was released and now I want the special edition (ok, the same thing happened with Mary Poppins)

So now I am in a quandry. Do I continue to buy the upgraded versions? I am assuming platinum is the best they will do. I don't want to end up owning three versions of the same movie because they decided the special edition wasn't quite special enough. The way my luck goes they will re-release everything on super-gigantic ultimate Titanium edition as soon as I think I have got them all.

Anyone else feeling frustrated about this?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• The Unknown Princess

Re: They did it to me again (Tarzan special edition DVD)

YES! What's worse is that I sometimes forget which ones I got already and buy another one. So not only is my collection of repeats are building but my son's collection of repeats are building up too. I guess I could always keep one wrapped and have a "collector's item"
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The plutonium series will rock
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Huh?

Is there actually anything new that wasn't in the previous 2-disc edition? Looks like they're just going through the old 2-discs now and releasing them... Emperor's New Groove is coming that way, soon.
    -Tim

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

The previous release was just the basic film, it was only one disc. Same with Emporer's New Groove. They put them in the "Vault" and now they are both being re-released with a second disc of special features.

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

If Disney would just make some good films these days then they would not have to re-issue all of these hit films all of the time LOL.

• Happy Memories

Disney hasn't gotten me on this yet, but some other movies have. thankfully Tarzan I already have the original 2 disc special edition of so i see no reason to buy another. Now Chicago on the other hand is coming out with a new "Razzle Dazzle" edition which makes me quite irritated.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    The previous release was just the basic film, it was only one disc. Same with Emporer's New Groove. They put them in the "Vault" and now they are both being re-released with a second disc of special features.
    Actually there were special 2 disc editions of both those films. They were a bit harder to come by though and I believe they were vaulted before the single disc editions were. I have the 2 disc Tarzan.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Ah- must have had my head in the sand on those ones. Now I am curious to know if this is the same one or if there is anything new. If its the same, well shame on them for adverstising it like it is a new edition.

seems they like that marketing strategy (space mountain)

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• Happy Memories

Well to be fair, at the time those films came out these kind of special editions were really only something a film fan would be interested in. The average citizen still had not realized the importance of widescreen, and it wasn't like today's retail where the minimal edition was equally well stocked right beside the super duper edition. But all of the rereasing is starting to get a bit to greedy. Got a sequel coming out? put out a rerelease in slightly different packaging and call it something special! This will also be a growing problem as the window between theatrical release and DVD release gets smaller and smaller. They'll quickly put out a bare bones edition, then spend a bit of time putting together the special edition which will come out 6 months to a year later (in time for a major gift giving holiday no doubt).

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

exactly. Iger wants to release films on DVD the same day they are released in theaters. I don't see those being too popular (anyone remember Disney's 3 day DVDs? You could buy one for about 7 or 8 bucks and watch it as many times as you want and in 72 hours, the disc can no longer be played and you throw it away. it was suppossed to be an alternative to rental, but it didn't really catch on)

If the special edition is released in a reasonable amount of time after the initial release, then I don't have a problem with the concept. However, with the speed they are releasing editions- how long before the plaitnum edition is released within a year or two of the bare bones edition?

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• Sea Creature

Yep. It's so frustrating but it really is a smart way to suck the money from our pockets.

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Anyone else feeling frustrated about this?
    Just wait until they start releasing everything on upcoming HD-DVD format.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Disney Memory Maker

I wouldn't count on a Tarzan Platinum anytime soon. This will probably be the last time it will be released on DVD. The next time Tarzan is released, it will probably be on Bly-Ray DVD (the new technology that hold's MUCH more than a normal DVD). So if you don't mind waiting (and spending the money to buy a new Blu-Ray-compatible DVD player), I'd wait. However, if you'd rather not wait (since we don't know the next time it will be released), then you should buy this one.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

I had just bought the Mary Poppins DVD, then I found out a week later about the anniversary DVD and so I broke down and bought it. It had quite a bit more footage of the party for the premeire of MP.
    Do I like it? Not really when I have already bought it.
    Why do I buy it? In the hopes of seeing something that has never been seen before. Which is the fishhook that snares a lot of people. I have held off on alot of Disney Movies.

The ones that concern me are the Disney Treasures series. Some of those are Limited Edition, and I hope they do not release those in another form. I am frustrated about this and rolling my eyes at the same time.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast