• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

SHOPGIRL screening M.C. review

Crazy Legs & I had an opportunity to attend an advance screening last night of Touchstone Pictures' SHOPGIRL. Steve Martin stars in and wrote the screenplay, having adapted it from his novella. It's a different L.A. Story from him, with touches of modern fairytale elements. Claire Danes plays Mirabelle, the titular gloves salesperson at Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills. Like many young people she is a transplant (from Vermont) working at being an artist at night. In my beloved Silver Lake she meets laudramat cute with Jeremy (Jason Schwarztman, here expanding greatly on his puppy dog/wacky boy canon even surpassing I Heart Huckabees) a stencil artist/Universal CityWalk lover and proceed to have a hilarious date and dashed hopes. Mirabelle then meets a urbane B.H. Saks shopper Ray Porter (Steve Martin) who unexpectedly begins to woo her in a big ticket/super girly/fantasy manner. This very different love triangle is expertly played out, beautifully photographed and features some really lovely performances. This is a grown up fable for grown ups. And the first appearance that I can recall of a jar of Knott's Berry Farms preserves in a major motion picture. The film opens October 21 in Los Angeles and New York. Back to you Crazy Legs....
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: SHOPGIRL screening M.C. review

heh- I want someone to spoil it for me.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Thanks for the review, ALIASd. I'm a fan of Steve Martin's more "serious" movies and was wondering how this movie was going to be. I bought the book, but have not read it yet (I know, it should take all of an hour or two, but just haven't found the time). I've been looking forward to it coming out and now that at least one person liked it, I know I'll go see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Crazy Legs & I had an opportunity to attend an advance screening last night of Touchstone Pictures' SHOPGIRL. Steve Martin stars in and wrote the screenplay, having adapted it from his novella. It's a different L.A. Story from him, with touches of modern fairytale elements. Claire Danes plays Mirabelle, the titular gloves salesperson at Saks Fifth Avenue in Beverly Hills. Like many young people she is a transplant (from Vermont) working at being an artist at night. In my beloved Silver Lake she meets laudramat cute with Jeremy (Jason Schwarztman, here expanding greatly on his puppy dog/wacky boy canon even surpassing I Heart Huckabees) a stencil artist/Universal CityWalk lover and proceed to have a hilarious date and dashed hopes. Mirabelle then meets a urbane B.H. Saks shopper Ray Porter (Steve Martin) who unexpectedly begins to woo her in a big ticket/super girly/fantasy manner. This very different love triangle is expertly played out, beautifully photographed and features some really lovely performances. This is a grown up fable for grown ups. And the first appearance that I can recall of a jar of Knott's Berry Farms preserves in a major motion picture. The film opens October 21 in Los Angeles and New York. Back to you Crazy Legs....
    In other words... Chick Flick.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Senior Minion

Big fan of Steve Martin I totally enjoy his serious roles as well, the comedies. I look forward to seeing it either way on my next day off at the matinees.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett
    In other words... Chick Flick.
    smart chicks

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks fir the invite AliasD.I had so much fun.

What I thought about the movie.Shopgirl is essentially a story about how appearances aren't everything, but unfortunately, there's little to perceive beneath the surface. Martin is playing a middle-aged divorced man who is emotionally goober, yet he is also so pinched that we really can't comprehend the emotions he's hiding. As for Jason Schwartzman, the colorless star of "Rushmore" and "I Heart Huckabees," (Both movies I love) he’s such a un charmed and obnoxious leading man that he doesn't begin to convey an inner life worth knowing. As radiant as Claire Danes is, (loved my so called life had to add it) the romantic entanglements are so much like real life. Bridgette Wilson-Sampras as an Amazon tigress who seduces Jeremy provides the only snap in the picture. "Shopgirl" Will do well. I have no doubts.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Cool C.L. - reading books on tape until the next time....!!!!

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Cool C.L. - reading books on tape until the next time....!!!!
    I want to get the book and read it also see the movie again

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Steve Martin woos Claire Danes? Icky.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i read the book. it was ok. i think i'll wait for the dvd to see the movie.
    <o>