• All you need is LOVE

News Article:Cinderella: Platinum Edition Is this DVD the bibbity-bobbity-bomb?

Cinderella: Platinum Edition Is this DVD the bibbity-bobbity-bomb?

There is something about the whole idea of "Disney Classic Animation" that puts certain films on a plane beyond reproach - as if criticism of these classic 'toons is akin to dissing mom, apple pie and the American flag. But in the case of this Platinum Edition of Cinderella, I am going to make an exception to standard critical practice and encourage those who already know they love this movie to skip to the next sections and see how the DVD fares.
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/657/657723p1.html

Re: News Article:Cinderella: Platinum Edition Is this DVD the bibbity-bobbity-bomb?

Well, Cinderella is my daughters favorite movie. She has been watching it on VHS until last week. Even though I haven't sat through the whole thing I have noticed the picture quality of the DVD is superior to the tape. It looks like they did a really good job restoring it.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Banned User

Re: News Article:Cinderella: Platinum Edition Is this DVD the bibbity-bobbity-bomb?

I skipped to the bottom to read the transfer review. He/She/It thought it was good enough to get a 10/10 ranking.
    I don't need his/her/its review of the movie based on current-world perceptions, though.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, the writer DOES have some good points. Much as us Cauldron girls have always enjoyed the Disney version of CINDERELLA, we have to admit it could have been even better if they'd given the audience a chance to get better acquainted with the prince--so that the love Cinderella had for him would have made more sense. As it is, his part in the movie is so small, you hardly remember him.

ORDDU: Of course the main reason for that was due to the fac that--back when CINDERELLA was being drawn up--Disney animators weren't as good at drawing the male figure as they later came to be, later on. That's the reason both Snow White's Prince AND Cinderella's prince were given very little to do. Fortunately--by the time SLEEPING BEAUTY came along--they had achieved great strides in developing believable male characters.

ORWEN: Oh, and I adore Prince Phillip!! He slays me every time!!!

ORDDU: For a more satisfying version of the romance between Cinderella and her prince, a witch recommends the Rogers & Hammerstein version--which has some truly incredible songs.

• no flash photography...

I bought this DVD and watched the movie for the first time in years....I have to say I was not impressed and it's not as good as I remembered it to be. It's now up on a shelf where it can collect dust...*note to self....do not buy anymore disney animated DVD's*

• Iron-Clad Allie

Cinderella deserves a 10 out of 10 rating. The film is timeless and it is the Bibbity Bobbity Nuclear Bomb! Nevertheless, the CRITICS SUCK. If it wasn't for the classic hit status of films such as this, they would all be ripping Cinderella, Bambi, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, The Love Bug and everything else to shreds.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-15-2005 at 07:08 AM.

• Earth Intruder

I bought it on DVD last week and saw it for the first time in years -- and absolutely loved it. Yeah parts of it were a little like "Tom & Jerry" but the major songs (A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes) and the Bibbidy Bobbity Boo scene made me all teary. The restoration is just amazing.

And the mice/birds/cockaroachers were sooooooo cute God bless Disney Princesses and their swarming vermin.

The review is dead on though with the DVD extras.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGN Review
    The decidedly mixed-bag nature of the extras is immediately revealed by the curious decision to forego any commentary tracks by Disney historians in favors of something called Cinderella Stories Presented by ESPN Classic (33:40). This is a collection of ten inspiring - I'm guessing; I didn't watch it because it has nothing to do with the movie - vignettes about things like the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team, Lance Armstrong and the Super Bowl III New York Jets. Other than tying in something from a Disney-owned cable channel, it has about as much purpose here as a documentary about the Strategic Defense Initiative would have on a Star Wars DVD.
    Totally with ya there, reviewer-buddy.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I haven't watch my new Cindy dvd, but did notice the
    extra's sponsored by ESPN "Cinderella (Sports) Stories"

What the heck is THAT all about? Chernabog is right!
    This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the real Cinderella
    story! It this an attempt to make this dvd more marketable
    to sports fans?

Hey, maybe they will start doing this with all their dvd's.
    Imagine, the Tazan dvd set featuring extras about the Civil War.
    The Emperor's New Groove set with an extra about barbie dolls.

• Still lost in Neverland

I just never did like Cinderella that much to rush out and get this DVD. I did however get Bambi in the Platinum DVD edition and just got around to watching it last night. That has got to be the best animated movie ever made. After watching the Making Of documentary on Disc 2, I really got a feeling for what it took to make this groundbreaking movie. It did indeed change the face of animation forever. As far as I am concerned, there are only four Disney Animated Movies that can be considered as the best examples of hand drawn animation. Snow White, Fantasia, Pinocchio and Bambi. After that things got simplified and though there where many good films after these, they just were never again in the same league.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• My cuties!

We bought the dvd yesterday and put in the VHS while watching the dvd and used our picture in picture to compare. It is amazing! The colors are so much brighter.