•   
    • Minion

Is Iger selling the Farm?

I have been reading the post Apple-Disney deal most of this morning and I am left with a burning question...

Did Iger sell the farm on this deal? What I mean by this is, is upsetting your affiliate network and sidestepping a possable deal with TiVo and other digital recording providors just to make nice an appeal to Steve Jobs two weeks after Eisner left the company worth it?

I mean look at what Disney has been doing to Apple recently.... Disney entering Apple's digital music market with the "Mix Sticks." Why not work with Apple to produce a Kid friendly Ipod? Didn't happen, however this for Mix Sticks was made pre Eisner's retirement...

So I am scratching my head, because not only is Disney now competing with its own intrest on a product level, it may be under cutting it's own intrests on a more fundamental level... We'll see how it goes... I for one am sceptical.
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Re: Is Iger selling the Farm?

More evidence:

from TriplePundit.com - a blog.

Disney’s new CEO: “If we sit back and rely on old technology, the consumer is going to pass us by”

By Maryline Lewitt 10/13/05

Robert Iger, the new appointed CEO of Disney, might have big shoes to fill by replacing the fallen King Michael Eisner. Most important, he needs to redirect Disney’s positioning and take into account the numerous new challenges of the ever-changing consumer market: a downturn in the core film business, the complications of expanding into foreign markets, particularly China and India-, and the urgency pressing upon all traditional media companies to reinvent their businesses for a new digital era. He is under pressure to devise new ways to drive growth.

The 54-year-old executive inherits a company whose old way of doing business has been blown up by technology. “If we sit back and rely on old technology, the consumer is going to pass us by”, Mr. Iger says, noting the music industry made that mistake. He realizes that his biggest obstacles may be the business habits of Disney’s old employees and of theater owners, mass retailers, television affiliates and others. “We need to create an atmosphere that tolerates experimentation, even if it’s at the expense of near-term economics”.

In Disney’s case, mass marketing is possibly not dead: its very profitable brand is a huge asset and the Magic Kingdom still appeals to children across the globe and with multiple social backgrounds. But Disney has to rethink how it reaches its audiences. The new technology allows companies, especially in the entertainment industry, to segment market their audience. For example, some viewers today watch video clips on cellular phones and use digital recorders that skip ads. Others watch entire seasons of a TV series on DVD, missing advertising altogether. These developments are shifting how companies reach viewers and how they set their business model based on advertising.

Mass marketing that focuses on new movie releases and DVD sales needs to evolve now that the movie attendance is declining and the DVD sales stagnant. Per-per-view is on the rise as well as any type of audio and video-on-demand service, going through multiple channels: cable boxes, computers, cell phones, video games, rentals. Many marketing niches have been created with the availability and the successful penetration of new technology. Disney will have to tackle these new segments, perhaps by becoming a service provider instead of a product provider, filling up these new entertainment channels or else, the new consumer might well be passing by.
    Check out my other blog:

• insufferable know-it-all

cellar: Steve Jobs is CEO of both Apple and Pixar. Perhaps this is part of a backroom deal to get Pixar back in the fold.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • Minion

Morrigoon, for the record... Pixar shares jumped when the Apple-Disney deal was made... Which means this is a common assumption... But I wonder...
    Check out my other blog:

I'm just saying... it would behoove Iger to kiss Jobs' you-know-what right now. The single quickest way to get people to think him a "success" in this new post is to get the Pixar deal back. I wouldn't blame him for doing all in his power to make it happen.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

1. How much would it cost to have a service to download ABC series or ESPN SportCenters?
    2. How many viewers would stop watching network TV if this option were available?
    3. If this makes an ABC affiliate less valuable to own, then will Iger lower the price of affiliate-ship about the same as what the Apple deal will bring in?

I'm sure there are ways to make this deal nearly neutral financially. If the deal results in more total viewership, then DIS wins. I don't see how it would, though. I don't see people not watching TV shows because it's on TV or that it's on only at a certain time. If it's good enough, they'll make time or record it with any one of several possible devices. One more device option seems to be a glut.
    Heck, DIS could determine the location of the recorder and pay the local affiliate some of the revenue DIS would receive.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Minion

My understand also is that Video content downloaded to an Ipod is... commecial free? Well... We'll see how long that lasts...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    1. How much would it cost to have a service to download ABC series or ESPN SportCenters?
    2. How many viewers would stop watching network TV if this option were available?
    3. If this makes an ABC affiliate less valuable to own, then will Iger lower the price of affiliate-ship about the same as what the Apple deal will bring in?

I'm sure there are ways to make this deal nearly neutral financially. If the deal results in more total viewership, then DIS wins. I don't see how it would, though. I don't see people not watching TV shows because it's on TV or that it's on only at a certain time. If it's good enough, they'll make time or record it with any one of several possible devices. One more device option seems to be a glut.
    Heck, DIS could determine the location of the recorder and pay the local affiliate some of the revenue DIS would receive.
    Wrong. I miss shows all the time that I would like because I forget about them or don't have TiVo.

But beyond that, it might be about building brand recognition. If this iPod video thing takes off, then Disney won't want to be left in the dust by whoever got there first. If ESPN can be the first sports podcast, that's just another way to marginalize Fox Sports and maintain brand dominance.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Wrong. I miss shows all the time that I would like because I forget about them or don't have TiVo.

See here

This solves both of your problems, because you can program the TiVo to record specific shows sometimes weeks in advance, and it can be programmed to record all of a series forever. No forgetting, except for remembering to watch it after you've recorded it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• They wanna know, HO!

TiVO is dead in the water as a company IMHO, either that or they will be the next Apple of computing technology, on the verge of death for 10 years until they are saved by God (or Steve Jobs )

I think this whole iTMS video thing is a niche that won't really break open soon, just like the original iTMS. I personally can't wait till they get more networks to sign on, like CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, Comedy Central, NICK, Discovery, and others, that'll really kick ***!
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...