Rich Ross named chairman of Walt Disney Studios

From Entertainment Weekly.com:

Disney Channels Worldwide president Rich Ross has been named chairman of Walt Disney Studios, Variety reports. He replaces Dick Cook, who left Disney in mid-September after 38 years at the company. Ross will oversee production, distribution and marketing for Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone, Miramax and Disney/Pixar. He will also be in charge of Disney’s theatrical and music operations. Ross will report to Disney president/CEO Bob Iger.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Rich Ross named chairman of Walt Disney Studios

Can we merge these threads?

• Future Cast Member

Great... the guy who ruined disney channel and created Disney XD is now going to be in charge of Disney's movies? There goes the future movies...

• Hall Of Promise

Again I have to say.... really? **slaps forehead**

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ♥disney.princess♥ View Post
    Great... the guy who ruined disney channel and created Disney XD is now going to be in charge of Disney's movies? There goes the future movies...
    He's perfect casting. Mr. Right for today's Disney... and today's movie industry:

As the lineup of newly elevated studio executives scramble for solutions, expect an even greater emphasis on so-called "branded entertainment": sequels and movies based on toys, old television shows and other familiar themes. Movies already in development include one based on the View-Master children's toy and an adaptation of the board game Battleship, scheduled for release July 2011, the same month as a third "Transformers" film.

As studio executives and their boardroom bosses labor to eliminate risk from what is inherently a risky business, they are steering their production funds into movies they believe have built-in sales hooks -- a fruitful strategy with the "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Transformers" global blockbusters.

In addition to the "Battleship" and "View-Master" films, that familiarity-doesn't-breed-contempt slate includes movies based on Lego, the video game Asteroids and the toy Stretch Armstrong.

Source: L.A. Times

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-05-2009 at 11:19 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

I'm not happy with this either.

But Ross developed HSM and Camp Rock and Hannah Montana, which were huge hits for the Disney Chanel, Disney Music/Records, Disney Stage/Theatrical, Disney Consumer, Disney Home Video, etc. So basically, for the non-Pixar, non-animated, non-mo-cap pictures, we'll see many titles targeted toward YA and tweens. This is about money, not quality.

•   
    • Minion

I have a few thoughts about this:

1. He is a TV guy not a Film guy. They are not the same. I would have prefered that they brought someone from the outside, however I can understand the reasons why Iger is not interested in doing that... I don't think it is an awful choice, but I am uncertain it is the best one. We will see if Mr. Ross steps up to the plate.

2. I am happy that Marvel is to remain independant, at least for the time being. I am not convinced integration would be good for either Marvel or Disney at this point. It also keeps what is going right at Marvel from getting taited by risk taking by Disney to get the studio up to speed.

Just my 2 cents.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt but if I start seeing the crap movies that plague the Disney channel as theatrical releases I am going to begin to get worried. I have a feeling we are going to see the first Jonas Brother feature film with guest appearances by Hannah Montana and the HSM cast hitting theaters very soon....