• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'On Stranger Tides' author onboard

'On Stranger Tides author Tim Powers:

Powers was in a tricky spot -- he wanted to publicly celebrate a career windfall but the folks at Disney had made it clear that he was supposed to keep everything under wraps. He was more surprised than anyone that the title had been trumpeted at Disney's new promotional convention.

"I was still -- as far as I understood -- not free to talk about it," the author told me Monday. "Then about a week ago my agent wrote and said, 'You're now able to say that in fact Disney did option the book.' That happened a while ago, it'll be three years in April."
    full article at:
    Surprised author Tim Powers finds himself setting sail with 'Pirates of the Caribbean' | Hero Complex | Los Angeles Times

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: 'On Stranger Tides' author onboard

LOL. Great story. Disney tells the guy not to talk and then spills the beans without even telling him.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

A friend of mine once found out one of the films he'd written a script for was going into production by running into an actor pal of his at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake. The actor had just come from an audition for it and walked out with the part.

The studio announcing it officially at their expo seemed to have added quite a bit more for the fans there, as part of the big presentation.

It's probably also why they decided to repeat the surprise appearance of Johnny Depp in full Captain Jack Sparrow costume, they'd done the same thing a few years ago at the invite-only industry studio preview event at the El Capitan driving Johnny over from the Universal backlot where they were shooting the third 'POTC' film.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Question Re: 'On Stranger Tides' author onboard

Not what I expected...

Timekeeper.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

It's going to need some story alterations to fit in with the previous films. But I wonder if any film at all will be made, now that Depp is less than enthused about the whole thing.

ALIASd, I want to commend you for always grabbing the hot stuff and posting it. Thank you!

Thanks for the posting, ALIASd. This is a fabulous book (as is "Last Call" also mentioned in the article), and I'm actually glad to see it folded into the POTC world.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Thanks, it's gratifying to see it that it is read and appreciated.

Johnny Depp's initial comments regarding his enthusiasm in resuming his role in a fourth 'POTC' film is understandable and not unexpected.

Now should a terrific 'POTC' script land on his doorstep and other elements met (his contractual script and director approvals most notably, just like on the previous 'POTC' films) it would be inconceivable to believe that he would not go forward with a return to Captain Jack Sparrow, one that on numerous occasions in the worldwide media he named as one part he'd like to play forever.

Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Productions have given him the role of a lifetime. Which in turn have also brought him a Best Actor Oscar nomination, hundreds of millions of dollars, a private island, powerful positioning for his production company (also providing a great place to employ his family members and friends) and a larger industry and public profile than any he'd enjoyed in twenty plus years in the business. Rather than remain a only stellar actor with a a highly respectable but not overwhelming box office career more famous for his multiple fiancées, tattoos and off the rails arrest.

Sail on sailor.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 10-06-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: sp
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• WDW Daily News *****

I for one am very excited that we will have a POTC 4. Not that I want to see Johnny Depp leave the franchise but It would be interesting to see how Disney could develop a new character for POTC 4 and then make that person the center of the story for future editions.

Who would you guys like to see be the next lead?

I would give a shout out to Robert Pattinson right now.
    We are proud to be a MiceChat Partner Website!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    LOL. Great story. Disney tells the guy not to talk and then spills the beans without even telling him.
    Very much standard Hollywood studio behavior where writers are concerned. It's a Hollywood tradition, going back decades.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Terry Rossio explains Disney's move to option the book and the story behind the new film, saying, "We wanted to do a story about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, and Tim Powers wrote a book about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth... it just turns out that to do that story you would need that book. It's a brilliant and Tim Powers is an amazing writer - and it's a great title. It allows us to draw material from that universe and his expertise."

The question remains, was it based on it or not?

"I don't know if its proper to say it's based on it but there are enough common elements to think that the book had to be optioned to us to reasonably proceed along that story line."

The Keira Knightley-less Pirates is still pencilled in for a July 2011 release, Fountain Of Youth and all.
    The Latest On Pirates 4 Origins

• Banned User

Cool. Terry's a good guy. I've talked with him, since he and I went to the same high school in Santa Ana.