Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Re: Blu Ray - I'm TOTALLY convinced

Haha, the minute I saw this thread title I was gonna come and say "omg you MUST watch Wall-E in blu-ray!" Apparently you beat me to it. If Wall-E wasn't already a beautiful enough movie before, it's indescribable now. The "dance" scene is gorgeous.

Overall, I've had an enjoyable experience with blu-ray. I, too, watch with a PS3.

• De la Terre la Luke

I'm very tempted now... I've been half-thinking about getting a bluray player for a while now, I think I've just been tipped over the edge! They've come down so much in price aswell, about 2 years ago they were around 600-800, whereas now they're between 100-300!

• Cars Land Rocks!

I purchased my first Blu-Ray disc even though I haven't bought a player yet. I've already decided all my future purchases will be on Blu-Ray. We are still working on how we will do are new entertainment center, but in the meantime no more DVDs. Besides the quality, another thing that prompted going to Blu-Ray is that I'm finding more and more DVDs that won't play on my 10 year old DVD player.

• Circle of Ancients

If you are going to get a Blu-Ray I would suggest getting a PS3.

I've heard with some of the "lesser" players, discs will take a few minutes to load. This was ABSOLUTELY the case on our cheap HD-DVD player we got when they were going away.

On the PS3, we get the message that it may take 1-2 minutes to load content, and it's gone within 10 seconds.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If you are going to get a Blu-Ray I would suggest getting a PS3.

I've heard with some of the "lesser" players, discs will take a few minutes to load. This was ABSOLUTELY the case on our cheap HD-DVD player we got when they were going away.

On the PS3, we get the message that it may take 1-2 minutes to load content, and it's gone within 10 seconds.
    I also have my PS3 connected to the Internet wirelessly. So whenever I turn my PS3 on, it's automatically connected to the Internet. It's good if you want to download games or communicate with friends on the PS3 system. But that way, a message comes up when it finds out there's a new update that needs to be downloaded and installed. If I have a five minutes or so to wait, I'll click OK and let it run. I've read that for some stand-alone BD players, you need to find and download the upgrade on your computer, burn it on a disc and then put that disc into your player to upgrade its software.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I've read that for some stand-alone BD players, you need to find and download the upgrade on your computer, burn it on a disc and then put that disc into your player to upgrade its software.
    I believe there are some players that have network connections. I've been looking at some players, and I think Panasonic has one.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, our is set up wirelessly as well.

Also, I looked into some of the other players because I wanted the Netflix, and while they were the same price as the PS3 ($300) you had to pay an additional $80 to buy their brand of wireless router to connect wirelessly. I don't know how many people have Ethernet cables by their TV, but I'm not one of them.

It was kind of cool, when we got to the Snow White menu the magic mirror told us he saw that it was kind of cloudy outside (it was) and that this was our first time (it was). We were all

• Seasick

^ And our TV is only 720p and it makes a HUGE difference. Can't imagine what it would look like in 1080p
    I have a 42" 720p TV and agree with you, the difference is often striking. Some people dismiss Blu-ray as a fad or money grab, which is far from the truth.

One of the things Blu-ray does best imo is sharpens up the smaller, background images. For example, Shipwreck Island in POTC 3. On DVD the big island of ships is a bit blurry, a jumbled mess. On Blu-ray you can see every little ship in detail - such an improvement.

Speaking of which, the POTC films are well-worth watching on Blu-ray. Also check out the BBC series Planet Earth, which is kind of the de-facto title for showing off high-def.

I'm still not convinced Blu-Ray is for EVERYTHING (Romantic Comedies, Drama's, Older Movies, etc) but for Action movies and Animation, I'm absolutely sold.
    I tend to be of the same mindset, but don't dismiss those other types of film so quickly. A couple of comments from reviews:

Hi-Def Reviews - Close Encounters: 30th & Pixar Short Films (Blu-ray Disc)

I should note that when watching Close Encounters, you are going to see the artifacts of age. This film doesn't look as pristine as a new high-def release circa 2007. The grain structure of the original film elements ranges from fine to coarse, and varies from shot to shot and from scene to scene. You'll also notice occasionally that not all areas of the frame are fully in focus at the same time - an artifact of the anamorphic process employed in making the film. But the detail and clarity are excellent overall, and the colors are perfectly saturated. This is exactly how a film shot in the late 1970s should look in high-definition. Not perfect.. just perfectly RIGHT.
    Blu-ray Reviews - The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration

Fans will know that Willis worked very carefully to give these films a particular look. They have a certain grain texture, the color palette is washed with a specific "brassy yellow" patina, the whites are a hair overblown, the blacks are crushed such that there's little detail in them. All of this was by design. Willis wanted the films to have a certain look and feel, reminiscent in many ways of an old photograph. This is exactly what's been captured on Blu-ray - the films just as Willis and Coppola meant for them to look. What this also means, of course, is that these discs don't have "The Look and Sound of Perfect." If you buy these discs expecting quality that's like looking out a window, you're going to be disappointed. You're going to see light grain and lots of it. You're going to see some shots that aren't as sharp as you're used to in films like... say... Wall-E. You're going to see subdued colors and shadows with very little detail (so you MUST watch these discs in a completely darkened room to enjoy the films properly). You're going to hear Dolby TrueHD audio that's largely front-biased, with only light and atmospheric use of the surrounds. But let me tell you, while this might not be PERFECT video and audio on Blu-ray, it damn sure is perfectly RIGHT. The experience of The Godfather on Blu-ray is simply a revelation, and I'll guarantee that the vast majority of you have NEVER see these films at this high level of quality before.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    I believe there are some players that have network connections. I've been looking at some players, and I think Panasonic has one.
    I always assumed that would be the case, because the whole burning-to-disc-then-putting-that-in-the-BD-player seems like such a pain.
    Thanks for confirming that for me, OC2Epcot.

• Banned User

I've been convinced about Blu-Ray for a few years now, I just haven't been able to get a player and start buying or rebuying titles from my rather sizable DVD collection yet. I'll get around to it eventually, though. And when I do, it'll be with a 1080p display, for sure.

My only real disappointment with Blu-Ray releases so far, in comparison with the same titles on DVD, has to do with extras. They're either the exact same as the DVD release, or they're not there at all. Once they start releasing Blu-Ray versions that are not only visually superior to the DVD but also have better or more extras than the DVDs, I think they'll see sales numbers increase.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Too bad the Blu-Ray versions of LOTR got delayed though. Hopefully it means they are releasing the Extended Editions and not just the Theatrical Versions.

If it's just the Theatrical verions, I will probably just rent the Blu's and then wait for the EE's to buy it on Blu.
    We were actually just watching a regular DVD of LOTR. So far we have no Blu Ray discs. I'm sure that will change.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Disneyland PAP

Not sure whether I should've posted this here or the Music section, but it's definitely a Blu-ray recommendation so here's another one for new Blu-ray player owners to consider.

Quincy Jones: The 75th Birthday Celebration - I picked this up over the weekend at Borders using a half-price coupon, based on a rave review and having enjoy Quincy Jones' work in the past. Wow, what sharp, crisp, colorful picture quality! Add to that just great performances all around and this title instantly now rises to my top choice to show off ideal high def PQ of live performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12