Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blu Ray - I'm TOTALLY convinced

So I've been kind of a Blu-Ray "I don't get it" person for awhile. I thought it would be cool to have, but honestly, I wasn't really expecting a big difference. We've had an HD-DVD player for awhile (got one for $100 when they were going away). I thought the HD-DVD's looked good, but didn't think it was all that.

Last week, we got a PS3 since we had some gift cards, etc.

This week I rented Wall-E on Blu Ray from Netflix, so this morning we decided to give the Blu Ray a proper try out.

We first put in the regular DVD version to the scene titled "Eve's arrival". (This is where Eve lands on earth). Watching the DVD version, thought it looked REALLY good upconverted, pretty much the same as the upconverting on the HD-DVD, with better sound.

Then we put in the Blu-Ray. I thought we were all going to struggle to see the difference. We didn't have to struggle AT ALL. The difference ... OMG!!! Even Belle who isn't normally all ga-ga over technology had to admit that the difference was STRIKING.

I'm still not convinced Blu-Ray is for EVERYTHING (Romantic Comedies, Drama's, Older Movies, etc) but for Action movies and Animation, I'm absolutely sold.

• is poppin' tags

Re: Blu Ray - I'm TOTALLY convinced

Really?

I've pretty much been in the same boat...."what is the big deal?!"

Disney Movie Club has been pushing blu-ray for a while and I always thought it to be a tad annoying. But now my interest has been piqued.
    I've been thinking about getting a PS3 since the prices have dropped quite a bit.

I think I might have to give it a try! Thanks for the review!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Circle of Ancients

^ And our TV is only 720p and it makes a HUGE difference. Can't imagine what it would look like in 1080p.

The "flying into space" scene in Wall-E gave me absolute chills. Didn't even do that in the theatre.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

It's a whole new world Clinks, a whole new world! Glad you're on board.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Infinitized!

I do have one gripe about high-def still though. I find it hurts my eyes. I noticed it watching some of the new TVs in stores. Not sure why. maybe it takes some getting used to.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Barbossa, you can change the color scheme on most tvs. It may be that the 'vivid' setting is just too much for your eyes. I like ours set that way, but my husband prefers 'cinema' or something like that...the colors are more muted.

• Mrs. J. Depp

We just got a Sony Bravia 46 inch and Sony Blu Ray player to go with it. Let me tell you, Lord of the Rings never looked so good. Technology is amazing. I too, was not all that interested until we got one.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I do have one gripe about high-def still though. I find it hurts my eyes. I noticed it watching some of the new TVs in stores. Not sure why. maybe it takes some getting used to.
    It took me some getting used to as well.

It will just be interesting to see if we all start going blind in 20 years with all of the computer and TV's being more hi-def.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    We just got a Sony Bravia 46 inch and Sony Blu Ray player to go with it. Let me tell you, Lord of the Rings never looked so good. Technology is amazing. I too, was not all that interested until we got one.
    Too bad the Blu-Ray versions of LOTR got delayed though. Hopefully it means they are releasing the Extended Editions and not just the Theatrical Versions.

If it's just the Theatrical verions, I will probably just rent the Blu's and then wait for the EE's to buy it on Blu.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Then we put in the Blu-Ray. I thought we were all going to struggle to see the difference. We didn't have to struggle AT ALL. The difference ... OMG!!! Even Belle who isn't normally all ga-ga over technology had to admit that the difference was STRIKING.
    Computer animated films are the best choices to showcase Blu-ray's ability to present a high def image on a high def system. Cars, Kung Fu Panda and Tinker Bell look fantastic in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

I'm still not convinced Blu-Ray is for EVERYTHING (Romantic Comedies, Drama's, Older Movies, etc) but for Action movies and Animation, I'm absolutely sold.
    It's probably a guy thing, but I love watching the detail and clarity of older films when they've been cleaned up and remastered for Blu-ray. Some great older eye candy films I'd recommend are How the West Was Won (1962), Dr. No (1962), Viva Las Vegas (1964) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). The Wizard of Oz is sharper and clearer too, but it was too sharp and clear for my friend who preferred not easily recognizing the sets as sets, so YMMV. You should definitely give Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at try too and see whatcha think! Of not so old films, Young Frankenstein looks surprisingly well on Blu-ray.

Enjoy your new Blu-ray world.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Very interesting. Thanks for the input.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I just bought the Snow White DVD/Blu-Ray package. My next purchase...a Blu-Ray player. From what I've heard, it's spectacular.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Young Frankenstein looks surprisingly well on Blu-ray.

Enjoy your new Blu-ray world.
    They are coming out with a Mel Brooks Box Set in December.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Brooks-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B002PHI2N8]Amazon.com: The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray]: Mel Brooks: Movies & TV[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    there is also a feature in most new TV's now called "motion flow" or something similar, that has the effect of making everything like a poorly shot soap opera. It converts the natural film cadence and smooths things out. I don't know ANYONE who prefers how things look with that feature turned on.

• Minion

I love Blu-Ray, that is the whole reason I bought the PS3... well that and for video games. I love Blu-Ray, it really makes it feel like you are actually part of the movie. I bought the Dark Knight on Blu-Ray when if first came out and the audio and picture looked amazing. That was my very first Blu-Ray disc I bought, I just wished that more companies did the DVD/Blu-Ray double pack then Disney, they are like the only company I have seen do that. Most companies do the DVD or Blu-Ray and a Digital Copy, which is good because I can put it on my iPod/iPhone but I still prefer the DVD because a digital copy only stays on your iPod/iPhone and the DVD you can take with you to your friends house, car DVD player, etc.

I have had a PS 3 for 2 yrs now (yes I jumped to the Blu ray format right away) and I can not agree enough about your posting regarding Wall-E, I have quite a library now on this format now...."Coraline" looks terrific in 3-D, far superior than on regular DVD, "Ratatouille" is remarkable.
    I have a 47" TV with 1080i and 1080p with a decent 7.1 HD Surrond System that gets a workout from time to time.

Thanks for posting your views about the Blu Ray format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast