Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Darn it! Bought Snow White Blu-Ray by mistake!!!

Man, I'm bummed. I stopped by Blockbuster today and picked up what I THOUGHT was the DVD of Snow White. When I went home and opened the package, there were 3 DVDs, which puzzled me a little...but I shrugged, took the "Bonus Features" disk out (which is my usual ritual when buying a Disney disk - I love the "behind-the-scenes" goodies best), and put it in my DVD player...and it wouldn't play. So I took it out, looked hard at the DVD box...and there, in the corner was a tiny tiny logo that said "Blu-ray".

Well, you can imagine how ticked I was. And now that I opened the DVD I'm not sure Blockbuster will let me return it! 32 bucks down the drain (probably).

Why is Disney messing with Blu-Ray anyway? How many people have those players...and how does Disney know it won't go the way of VHS?

Bummer bummer bummer...and I was really looking forward to Snow White...it's the once classic Disney I don't own...

• or CBF

Re: Darn it! Bought Snow White Blu-Ray by mistake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta Panther View Post
    Man, I'm bummed. I stopped by Blockbuster today and picked up what I THOUGHT was the DVD of Snow White. When I went home and opened the package, there were 3 DVDs, which puzzled me a little...but I shrugged, took the "Bonus Features" disk out (which is my usual ritual when buying a Disney disk - I love the "behind-the-scenes" goodies best), and put it in my DVD player...and it wouldn't play. So I took it out, looked hard at the DVD box...and there, in the corner was a tiny tiny logo that said "Blu-ray".

Well, you can imagine how ticked I was. And now that I opened the DVD I'm not sure Blockbuster will let me return it! 32 bucks down the drain (probably).

Why is Disney messing with Blu-Ray anyway? How many people have those players...and how does Disney know it won't go the way of VHS?

Bummer bummer bummer...and I was really looking forward to Snow White...it's the once classic Disney I don't own...
    Why not mess with Blu-Ray?

Disney has always been the innovators of entertainment technology, from Fantasound with Fantasia to cartoons in Technicolor, to Blu-Ray.

Of course it's going to go the way of VHS, the next best thing is always right around the corner. This is just the next step.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

barbossa, check the box...there should be both a Blu-Ray AND a DVD version in the 3 disc pack. (the other disc is extras)

you should be able to exchange it if you want.

As I plan on buying a PS3 in the future, I am probably getting the combo pack. Are you sure thats not what you have? There might still be a dvd in that pack.

SEMPER ABSURDA

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemorath View Post
    As I plan on buying a PS3 in the future, I am probably getting the combo pack. Are you sure thats not what you have? There might still be a dvd in that pack.
    There's a DVD in the pack, but it also has 2 DVDs I can't use, and one of them is the extras DVD, unfortunately. I'm one of those people who buy Disney DVDs primarily for the extras; the story behind my fave Disney films are as compelling to me as the films themselves. I doubt I'd buy the DVDs otherwise.

I spoke to Blockbuster, and they're willing to exchange the DVD for another, so I guess I'll exchange it for Sleeping Beauty (not my fave). If the regular Snow White DVD were coming out within 30 days, I could exchange the Blu-Ray for THAT, but of COURSE, it's not coming out until Nov. 24th. What a rip. I bet I'm not the only person making this mistake. And I shelled out top dollar for the DVD because I was in such a hurry to get it; I've wanted Snow White for years.

Tell you what, these days it SUCKS to be a Disney fan.

• Pilot EdForceOne

So sell it to a friend or neighbor and buy the DVD version... or suck it up and buy the DVD version outright. It's $30 bucks... nothing to lose sleep over.

Bluray is the current technology, of course Disney is going to 'mess with it' and it represents their biggest opportunity to raise revenues in the face of the steep slide of DVD prices.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Well, one the DVD in the pack has the bonus features on it and two, Blu Ray is the next movie format, it isn't a fad. I have no idea why you are comparing them to VHS......DVD's are actually going to have the fate of the VHS. DVD's are going to be the next VHS with Blu Ray as the successor. Remember when DVD's came out, remember everyone complaining that they would have to buy a DVD player and their whole movie collection again? Same thing. It is called technology. Blu Ray's are high definition whereas DVDs are standard definition which is now becoming more and more outdated. Being a Disney fan I want to see my beloved films as beautiful as they can be and only Blu Ray can achieve that.

And regarding how many people have Blu Ray players, the Blu Ray format has a higher growth rate then DVD had when it started out. At the rate it is growing by 2013, 55 - 60% of households will have Blu Ray technology.
    Last edited by MrSunnyBlack; 10-11-2009 at 08:44 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It's actually a really smart idea for them to offer blu ray and regular dvd in the same package. It will make people more willing to buy a blu ray player since the already have blu ray movies. And from what I have read, this will be the future. Like was said, it is the next step in technology. I'm sorry that you were in such a hurry that you didn't read the box to see exactly what you were getting. All the ads I've seen have mentioned this 3 pack. I actually didn't know there was straight DVD "pack" coming out a all!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Most places will allow you to return it as long as you exchange it for another DVD of the same title. I'm sure returning a blu-Ray disc for a regular DVD of the same title should be ok.

• Pilot EdForceOne

In the OPs defense... Disney is making it rather confusing with this release.

Look at these packagings... Disney is doing both "DVD" oriented and "Blu-Ray" oriented versions of the same product.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/White-Dwarfs-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-packaging/dp/B00267N3DQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1255282898&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (DVD/Two-Disc Blu-ray + BD Live w/DVD packaging) [Blu-ray]: Adriana Caselotti, Harry Stockwell, Lucille La Verne, Roy Atwell, Stuart Buchanan, Eddie Collins, Pinto Colvig, Marion Darlington, Billy Gilbert, [/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/White-Dwarfs-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-packaging/dp/B001V9LPWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1255282898&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + BD Live w/ Blu-ray packaging) [Blu-ray]: Adriana Caselotti, Roy Atwell, Lucille LaVerne, David Hand: Movies & TV[/ame]
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Diamond Edition

While I'm a big fan of Disney Home Entertainment and Blu-Ray, I was really mad when I heard they were releasing the Blu-Ray combo pack in DVD packaging. It seems like a move solely designed to confuse people into thinking they are getting the 2-disc DVD with a Blu-Ray copy of the film. It didn't affect me at all, since I have a Blu-Ray player and would have bought the Blu-Ray regardless, but when I picked up my copy at Best Buy on Tuesday, so many people in the store were confused. The DVD packaging lists DVD first, has DVD on the spine, and has a sticker that says "Includes a Blu-Ray copy of the movie!" on it. Unless you read the back carefully, where it says "1-disc DVD, 2-disc Blu-Ray" you otherwise wouldn't know. I was hoping the fact that the DVD was the same price as the Blu-Ray packaging would give people a heads up, but with first week sales plus Disney's $10 off coupon, nobody seemed to notice until they got home and opened it up.

It would be really good of Disney to offer a mail-in-rebate for those who wanted the 2-disc DVD that comes out next month but were tricked into buying this instead.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrSunnyBlack View Post
    Well, one the DVD in the pack has the bonus features on it
    Actually, the only "bonus" the DVD has is an audio commentary by Walt Disney and one of those awful music videos featuring the latest Disney fembot mangling Disney tunes. No Backstage Disney or anything else good.

I bet Disney confused a LOT of people with this gimmick. Shame on them!

I guess I'll toss this in the trash, or maybe donate it to my local library, or something. Then I'll get the standard DVD when it comes out in November...and that will end my purchase of any more Disney DVDs.

Actually, the only "bonus" the DVD has is an audio commentary by Walt Disney and one of those awful music videos featuring the latest Disney fembot mangling Disney tunes. No Backstage Disney or anything else good.

I bet Disney confused a LOT of people with this gimmick. Shame on them!

I guess I'll toss this in the trash, or maybe donate it to my local library, or something. Then I'll get the standard DVD when it comes out in November...and that will end my purchase of any more Disney DVDs.
    Oh, sorry, I thought the DVD had a few of the extras.
    Though I don't really understand how this could confuse anyone with the Blu Ray logo on it a total of 5 times including the spine and top center where is also says in white bold, "Blu Ray + DVD" and on the back side states "2 Disc Blu Ray" then on the bottom right of it says "Blu Ray also plays on Playstation 3". Not to mention the current commercials that advertise "Blu Ray Out Now". Don't blame Disney. You will be sorry you threw it out in a few years when you will be purchasing your first Blu Ray player but go ahead if you like throwing $30 in the trash.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Well, it's always a good idea to read the packaging. :-)

I bought ours at Wal-Mart, on sale for $19.99...plus I had a $10 coupon and a $5 rebate offer. So the 3 disc set will end up costing us $4.99.

• Diamond Edition

The confusion is the marketing. Disney made it obvious that a Blu-Ray was included, but they put DVD first on the DVD packaging. They have the Blu-Ray logo in the bottom right hand corner next to the DVD logo, but the sticker literally says "Great Value! This Combo Pack ALSO Includes a Blu-Ray of the Movie!" It makes it sound like it is first and foremost the DVD copy that the consumer wants and that they are future-proofing their set by adding a Blu-Ray. Most people don't read the back of the box in detail in the stores, so while it does state on the back that it is a 1-disc DVD and 2-disc Blu-Ray, the front is very deceptive about it. Other Disney Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs have been very specific on the front about what is inside. Basically, people are getting tricked into buying a 2-disc Blu-Ray that they have no use for.

It is clear that the DVD packaging was deceptive. Why else would the disc content be exactly the same for the Blu-Ray packaging and the DVD packaging? The smarter thing to do would have been to make it a 2-DVD set with a 1-disc Blu-Ray of the film as a bonus. Disney passed this off as a DVD release to trick people into buying it so that it becomes the highest selling Blu-Ray (and yes, they count the DVD packaging as a Blu-Ray). The sales figures will be out shortly and I have no doubt that this will become the best selling Blu-Ray yet, but it was at the cost of making a lot of people mad.

Granted, there is a significant number of people who don't watch bonus features and won't care, especially since it was possible to pick this up for less than $10. Because of this, I don't think there will be a huge outcry, but I think Disney has damaged their image to some fans with this. That is why I think they should offer a rebate for anyone who bought this but wanted the 2-disc DVD. Something where if they send in the proof-of-purchase from both, they get $5 back or something. At the least, it would regain some trust. And I would advise them to not continue this practice with future releases.

Again, I'm a fan of Blu-Ray and I bought this in Blu-Ray packaging, but I think it is wrong what they did. And while I never like to use the expression "What would Walt do?," I think it is clear that he would never have tried to confuse people the way Disney Home Entertainment did with this release. Someone in that department should realize that Disney is supposed to have better morals than that.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast