Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney Stores Getting Overhaul

Saw this article and seems intresting. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/bu.../13disney.html

Disney’s Retail Plan Is a Theme Park in Its Stores
    By BROOKS BARNES
    Published: October 12, 2009
    LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Company, with the help of Steven P. Jobs and his retailing team at Apple, intends to drastically overhaul its approach to the shopping mall.

. . .

Disney Stores, which the media giant is considering rebranding Imagination Park, will become more akin to cozy entertainment hubs. The chain’s traditional approach of displaying row after row of toys and apparel geared to Disney franchises will be given a high-tech makeover and incorporated into a new array of recreational activities. The goal is to make children clamor to visit the stores and stay longer, perhaps bolstering sales as a result. Over the next five years, analysts estimate that Disney will spend about $1 million a store to redecorate, reorganize and install interactive technology.
    Read the full story at the link above.

Check out the CNBC report of this: http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1294049041&play=1#
    Last edited by Explicit; 10-14-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added video link
    DL Trips: '86, '87, '88, '89, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Disney Stores Getting Overhaul

This sounds exciting...however they also need to realize adults will buy merchandise too. While the kids are busy playing, add some adult/collectible merchandise for their parents to browse and possibly buy as well.

I guess NNL and I will check it out in May, since Long Island is surprisingly one of the first three...and we'll be at the new flagship in Times Square once (if) it opens also.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

BRAVO!!!! I love when they admit the current mistakes like "dog's breakfast", because that means they are now focussed on erradicating those errors! However, I have said, from the 1st time I saw the big red mickey head stores, It's Looks like an emergency ward at the hospital. And even children's hospitals know that's a bad thing! This sounds like the first actual imrovement since the original stores that each had their own distinct displays!

And ABSOLUTELY!!!! They need to add back the adult and collectable merchandise!

• Banned User

They certainly sound amazing... but focusing on kids is such a lame decision. I guess no one in the store division realizes that Disney is more than just kids' stuff.

•   

This will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Since the end of August Disney Store opened three new stores in the Boston market. Including one which had their grand opening today. Two of which were in malls that at one point had and the third mall never had one prior. These three stores all were literaly thrown together in a little over a weeks time, and it shows. Supposedly they are on a short term lease (two years from my understaning)very little was changed from the previous tenant that occupied the three spaces and what couldn't get cover over with a can of white paint got a magical white shower curtain with pixie dust to cover hanging on a metal rod. Complete with generic white shelves. I am not joking when I say these stores were "constructed" and "merchandised" in about a weeks time.

• Senior Minion

I would call that a major ray of hope.

This could have the earmarks of a hit -- not just in concept, but more importantly in the development approach.

Now, if Jobs can just keep the pressure on the Company to prevent it from doing what it has done with every hit since Eisner's day, namely, greedily force the Golden Goose to lay 10 years' of profits in 18 months, they just might have something that works for the long term. Something that is truly 21st-century Disney magic.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

This sounds amazing! I cannot wait to see what they do with the Times Square flagship. THAT one will be a destination. Hopefully if they are about to sign a lease they could possibly get it completed around the end of next year in time for some cross promotion with Tron & Rapunzel.

• Cars Land Rocks!

I can't wait to see what the stores look like. Disney spending a million dollars per store is pretty impressive. I would be pretty surprised if Simon Property Group didn't go along with whatever Disney wanted to do ... Especially in these days when retailers are leaving malls, not coming to them.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Sounds like a really great idea.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I hope that the flagship one is similar to the current one on 5th Ave, merchandise-wise. I hope it isn't just kid's merch like the current stores in malls are.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I've seen the early concept art and it looks pretty cool if they do it right.

Oh and re: the NYC store. Yes it's a Disney store, but it's not part of The Disney Store. Think of it like a World of Disney. The NYC store and the ones at Dl & WDW's downtown Disney's aren't actually part of the Disney Store chain

• Imagineer In Training

This sounds really interesting and intriguing. I saw it on my Mac rumors and news site and thought that it was a good idea. Jobs did bring Apple back from the dead and the Apple Stores are definitely one of the best quality places. It'll be interesting to see if this turns the Disney Store around or not.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    Oh and re: the NYC store. Yes it's a Disney store, but it's not part of The Disney Store. Think of it like a World of Disney. The NYC store and the ones at Dl & WDW's downtown Disney's aren't actually part of the Disney Store chain
    So you're saying it will stay the way it is?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    I've seen the early concept art and it looks pretty cool if they do it right.

Is any of the concept art online?

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    So you're saying it will stay the way it is?
    I believe it will (actually am I wrong or aren't they closing the NYC store?)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSunnyBlack View Post
    Is any of the concept art online?
    Would that it was, but not as of yet. I'd share but I'd rather not lose my job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast