Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, but I found out last week that all Disney Stores will not be selling Disney Dollars anymore. They will only sell the electronic gift cards which can be used at WDW, DLR, DCL and Disney Stores. Disney Dollars will still be available at the parks however.

    A friend stopped off at our local store last week to pick up some as a birthday gift knowing I was going on the Cruise and WDW next month. Only to be told that the stores had recieved notice a few days prior to stop selling them (and to top it off they were sold out of gift cards). Electronic GCs are nice but there was something special about the Disney currency, although it was nothing more than a paper gift certificate, there were fun to give or get as a gift. Good job DS, just one more step toward making the stores even more like generic toy stores.

  2. #2

    • Waiting for fireworks...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    299

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    This is sad.

    Disney dollars are a great motivator for my kids when we're planning a Disneyland trip. I guess I'll have to stock up the next time I go to the park...

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,060

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    ooooooo! this is not a good decision. although they really haven't been doing much to advertise that they have Disney Dollars. They are definitely more fun to get than the plain lame plastic gift cards.

  4. #4

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,215
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    More magic disappearing right before our eyes.

  5. #5

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,549

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    More magic disappearing right before our eyes.
    And that was the kind of magic that Disney actually made money on. People buy them and never spend them

  6. #6

    • Scared of Swine Flu
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    This is weird. I would get them every year. I would save them to buy something new. I just can't believe that they would do this.

  7. #7

    • Nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,363

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    They still sell them at the Main Gate Ticket Booths.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    And that was the kind of magic that Disney actually made money on. People buy them and never spend them
    Technically gift card sales/certificate purchases don't count as revenue until they are redeemed. So unless the Disney Dollars were being reused at the Disney Store, which more than likely they were being taken to WDW or DL, they weren't helping Disney Stores' bottomline. While the same can be said for the electronic gift card they will continue to sell it still money in the pocket of the Walt Disney Co overall.

    They still sell them at the Main Gate Ticket Booths
    Already posted in the OP. And I believe that there you can order them over the phone (probably the same merchadise # that already exist for both resorts) but the shipping charges on them is not worth it. The CM at the Disey Store told me it would be about $15 per order.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,549

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Technically gift card sales/certificate purchases don't count as revenue until they are redeemed. So unless the Disney Dollars were being reused at the Disney Store, which more than likely they were being taken to WDW or DL, they weren't helping Disney Stores' bottomline. While the same can be said for the electronic gift card they will continue to sell it still money in the pocket of the Walt Disney Co overall.
    I don't see how they can defer the revenue from Disney Dollars or gift cards. How do they treat the revenue from their sale at the time of purchase?


    Many of those may NEVER be used, especially if the cards or DD are saved as a collectables. If they are never used, how do they treat the revenue from their sale?

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I don't see how they can defer the revenue from Disney Dollars or gift cards. How do they treat the revenue from their sale at the time of purchase?


    Many of those may NEVER be used, especially if the cards or DD are saved as a collectables. If they are never used, how do they treat the revenue from their sale?

    Esentially when you purchase gift cards/certificates anywhere they are treated almost like a currency exchange. You are putting your cash in a form that can only be used at that brand. When you purchase DisneyDollars you are basically telling Disney that they will eventually be getting a future sale. If they aren't redeemed, because they get lost, kept as collectibles etc. Disney doesn't make anything off them. Same thing happens when large amounts of gift cards are purchased in during the holiday season, stores sales aren't helped by those until after January when they begin getting used.

    Example if you purchase $20 worth of Disney Dollars in October then used that 20 in November to buy a T-shirt for 20 bucks. Disney still only made 20 bucks not 40 and it would only count as November's revenue.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,549

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Esentially when you purchase gift cards/certificates anywhere they are treated almost like a currency exchange. You are putting your cash in a form that can only be used at that brand. When you purchase DisneyDollars you are basically telling Disney that they will eventually be getting a future sale. If they aren't redeemed, because they get lost, kept as collectibles etc. Disney doesn't make anything off them. Same thing happens when large amounts of gift cards are purchased in during the holiday season, stores sales aren't helped by those until after January when they begin getting used.
    But, if you bought $20 of Disney dollars that are never used (collected, lost, etc.), then Disney IS making $20 (probably $19.90 after production costs) off of them. If they are redeemed, then Disney is making $20 off of whatever they purchase with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Example if you purchase $20 worth of Disney Dollars in October then used that 20 in November to buy a T-shirt for 20 bucks. Disney still only made 20 bucks not 40 and it would only count as November's revenue.
    Wouldn't they record the revenue of the DD at the time of purchase and only record any purchase using them as a redemption (like a gift certificate)?

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    But, if you bought $20 of Disney dollars that are never used (collected, lost, etc.), then Disney IS making $20 (probably $19.90 after production costs) off of them. If they are redeemed, then Disney is making $20 off of whatever they purchase with them.
    Nope by that thinking then Disney somehow turn 20 bucks into 40. You are saying that Disney makes 20 off the purchase of Disney Dollars then 20 off the later purchase. Now that is some real magic!

    They don't make anything on the purchase of the Disney dollars because you are giving them 20 and they are giving you 20 back. If they are never redeemed then basically it was an even swap. You have an IOU from Disney if you hold onto it for as long as that is valid for (most don't ever expire). So if it is never used the are holding onto your money but can't do anything with it on the idea that at some point they will have to make good on the value of the card certificate.

    Wouldn't they record the revenue of the DD at the time of purchase and only record any purchase using them as a redemption (like a gift certificate)?
    Gift certicates and electronic cards from other businesses don't work like that either.

    Disney Dollars are nothing more than fancy gift certificates. They are still nothing more than currency exchange. Suppose you were to go to a bank and exchange $100 American for $105 Canadian. (just an example I didn't look up the exchange rate). Canada didn't automatically make $105 just cause you made the exchange. Now suppose you cancel your trip to Canada and have to convert your currency back to American money, nothing gained nothing lost. Only differnce is gift cards/certificates are non returnable, purchasing them is like a contract with that business to spend that amount of money with them eventually.

    Gosh I hope that makes sense
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 10-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,549

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Disney Dollars are nothing more than fancy gift certificates. They are still nothing more than currency exchange. Suppose you were to go to a bank and exchange $100 American for $105 Canadian. (just an example I didn't look up the exchange rate). Canada didn't automatically make $105 just cause you made the exchange. Now suppose you cancel your trip to Canada and have to convert your currency back to American money, nothing gained nothing lost. Only differnce is gift cards/certificates are non returnable, purchasing them is like a contract with that business to spend that amount of money with them eventually.

    Gosh I hope that makes sense
    Not really. If Disney dollars are essentially gift certificates (piece of paper with no value of itís own, but redeemable for $20 in Disney purchases) then they are NOT equivalent to normal currency exchange. Disney dollars, not being legal tender, arenít replacing US currency for the company.

    So, Disney gets $20 US cash for a piece of paper that has value to Disney only if itís redeemed. If it is never redeemed, then Disney has made $20 US currency. That has to be identified somewhere in their bookkeeping.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    Of course Disney Dollars aren't legal tender (at least for anywhere outside of Disney), I was only using currency as an example. I never said it doesn't get logged somewhere in an account, where that is exactly I am not 100% certain. But there is a monetery value backing gift certificates. Once redeemed that money can then become usable revenue for the company. Revenue is not created by exchanging money for certificates, that are useless anywhere else, in order to generate revenue goods or services must be exchanged.

    Like I said in my earlier example a $20 disney dollar purchase at a local Disney Store doesn't help that disney store if that money is then spent at Disney World or Disneyland etc. In the big picture yes the Disney Co. has made 20 bucks, when it is spent, but it could be dispersed all over the company and not benefit the original Disney Store that provided the Disney Dollars. So the churro cart at WDW made $5 in revenue, the Main St shop made 10 from a t-shirt, and the hotel got 10 for breakfast. They all accept those certificates cause they know that they are backed by a real monetary value that the company has somewhere, perhaps it is in the "Disney Vault" But anywhere else other than Disney that is just a valueless piece of paper or a cool collectible.

  15. #15

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,671

    Re: Disney Stores stop selling Disney Dollars

    My mom would get me Disney Dollars and send them to me when she knew I was going to the parks for a special occasion like my birthday or whatnot. More fun to spend than a boring plastic card.

Similar Threads

  1. Jenny is selling her number, for a half a million dollars.
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
  3. Disney Studios Collection, now at Disney Stores!
    By Melonballer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 10:57 AM
  4. Disney: Stop selling Annual Passes
    By CAspace in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 02:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •