View Poll Results: DVD or Blu-Ray? AND Are you attending the UP DVD Release?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • DVD

18 33.33%
  • Blu-Ray

33 61.11%
  • Yes, at the Soda Fountain!

3 5.56%
  • Yes, elsewhere!

1 1.85%
  • Nope

15 27.78%
  • I don't like the movie UP and am not Awesome.

2 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: UP DVD Release, DVD Collection, and DVD vs. Blu-Ray

I will be buying Up on blu-ray, and the bonus DVD I give to my mother, as she doesn't have many Disney movies in her DVD collection.

• Wilderness Explorer

Bah! Nevermind, I am no longer going to the Soda Fountain for the UP DVD release.
    The reason I was originally planning on going is because a Soda Fountain rep was at D23 Expo and I was talking to him about UP and the ever elusive Ellie Badge Pin. He then told me that they were working on release a new set of Limited Edition UP Pins at the DVD Release... including a new Ellie Badge.
    However, I called them today to confirm and looks like there are no plans for anything special at the UP DVD release.
    Sooo not making the trip to LA after all. I'll just be getting it off Amazon.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I haven't even seen UP yet, but I plan on buying it.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

I 'might' go over to the Soda Fountain for the release, but money is super tight right now, so maybe not...I desperately want a grape soda pin and was hoping they'd do another release.

What I did with the Snow White release was buy the 3 disc pack, containing the movie on BR, the movie on DVD, and the extras on BR. Wal-mart had them on sale for 19.99, I had a $10 coupon, and another $5 rebate.

If you do a search here on MC, you'll find several threads about Blu-ray, DVDs and whatever the next 'big thing' will be.

For us, we have a 52" HDTV, so BR is a good thing. I can watch Blu-ray on my computer also, so that's a bonus. Having the DVD also means we can watch it on any TV in the house, so there was no reason not to buy the set.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    I 'might' go over to the Soda Fountain for the release, but money is super tight right now, so maybe not...I desperately want a grape soda pin and was hoping they'd do another release.

What I did with the Snow White release was buy the 3 disc pack, containing the movie on BR, the movie on DVD, and the extras on BR. Wal-mart had them on sale for 19.99, I had a $10 coupon, and another $5 rebate.

If you do a search here on MC, you'll find several threads about Blu-ray, DVDs and whatever the next 'big thing' will be.

For us, we have a 52" HDTV, so BR is a good thing. I can watch Blu-ray on my computer also, so that's a bonus. Having the DVD also means we can watch it on any TV in the house, so there was no reason not to buy the set.
    That's what I'm planning on doing. It's really cheap on Amazon for the whole Disc set, so I figure why not buy it.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I don't own a Blu-Ray because I don't have a fancy newer T.V., but, I will fully enjoy it on DVD when it comes out!
    Same here. I'll go Blu when I get a better job.

Also, there should be a coupon available for Up in the upcoming days. I'll post an update with a lnk as soon as the coupon is available. It will probablybe $10 off the Blu and $5 off the DVD like the last few coupon deals were available.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

"I thought you were dead!!" That was random... and loses a lot w/out the inflections :P

Probably getting the DVD as even though blu-ray looks cool I'm very very anti-blu-ray (it just makes me mad and I don't feel like getting into it)

First of all, you're young and apparently awesome... You need to get yourself a PS3. Then Blu-Ray is a no brainer. If you were in KC, I'd invite you over to check out Wall-e or Cars on the 120" and you wouldn't even think twice about which format to buy.

As for where, I always pre-order from Amazon. The price is always right, and at least 50% of the time, it drops before the release and they give you the better price.

• Professional Lurker

I got both the Monsters Inc. and Up Blu-Ray packs yesterday. They both included the DVD version as well as the digital copy and two Blu-Ray discs. I popped both the Blu-Ray and DVD versions in and I can see improvement in the Blu-Ray version and would recommend it over the DVD version. The colors are so vibrant, the picture so clear, and the sound so rich! It's worth the extra money over the DVD version. I loved that the first easter egg I found for Up was about a deleted segment involving birds eggs. Gotta love Pixar's sense of humor!

For just a hand full of dollars more, get the Blu Ray! The great thing is that even regular DVDs look better on the Blu Ray player. I;m not going to start replacing all my good DVDs with Blu Ray, but will buy all my new ones in Blu Ray for now on. Also, its really great for animated features, I would not go out of my way if there was a huge cost diffrence on a regular movie, but things like animation, history or action, yah, it makes a big diffrence.
    I cant wait to go pick up my Up Blu Ray from thje Dis Store on the 10th. I am just itching to see it again at home on my nice new 55 inch plasma!
    And as a side note; you should totally rock those amazing costumes you made. Have fun, you two are adorable!
    Jewish American Disney Princess

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by lionheartkc View Post
    First of all, you're young and apparently awesome... You need to get yourself a PS3. Then Blu-Ray is a no brainer. If you were in KC, I'd invite you over to check out Wall-e or Cars on the 120" and you wouldn't even think twice about which format to buy.

As for where, I always pre-order from Amazon. The price is always right, and at least 50% of the time, it drops before the release and they give you the better price.
    Hahaha. Yeah I would love a PS3. I've already got a Wii and a 360 though... don't know if I really need another gaming system considering I rarely ever play those anymore :-\.
    But I may try and swing my dad on buying a PS3 or Blu-Ray player for the family, because the Blu-Ray player he has is in his room on his 42". It deserves to be on the 52"!!
    Haha that sounds like an awesome deal, but I'm in SD, so it's a bit of a distance. And 120" I didn't even know they made TVs that big.
    What kind of TV is it?

Quote Originally Posted by reverendscoot View Post
    I got both the Monsters Inc. and Up Blu-Ray packs yesterday. They both included the DVD version as well as the digital copy and two Blu-Ray discs. I popped both the Blu-Ray and DVD versions in and I can see improvement in the Blu-Ray version and would recommend it over the DVD version. The colors are so vibrant, the picture so clear, and the sound so rich! It's worth the extra money over the DVD version. I loved that the first easter egg I found for Up was about a deleted segment involving birds eggs. Gotta love Pixar's sense of humor!

BBWWWAAAAHHH?! Yesterday?!? How?
    The movie doesn't come out till the 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by JADP View Post
    For just a hand full of dollars more, get the Blu Ray! The great thing is that even regular DVDs look better on the Blu Ray player. I;m not going to start replacing all my good DVDs with Blu Ray, but will buy all my new ones in Blu Ray for now on. Also, its really great for animated features, I would not go out of my way if there was a huge cost diffrence on a regular movie, but things like animation, history or action, yah, it makes a big diffrence.
    I cant wait to go pick up my Up Blu Ray from thje Dis Store on the 10th. I am just itching to see it again at home on my nice new 55 inch plasma!
    And as a side note; you should totally rock those amazing costumes you made. Have fun, you two are adorable!
    That's funny, my girlfriend's sister said that exact same thing yesterday about DVDs looking better on Blu-Ray players... I had no idea before then that it even made a difference.
    Haha. We actually decided not to drive all the way up to the Soda Fountain. But we are going to at least go to d-land that day, so we might wear our hats and "Grape Crush" bottle caps :P.

• Circle of Ancients

$20 pre-sale on Amazon right now (Blu Ray)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Disc-Combo-Pack-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B001KVZ6G6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257366615&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Up (4 Disc Combo Pack with Digital Copy and DVD) [Blu-ray]: Edward Asner, Jordan Nagai, John Ratzenberger, Christopher Plummer, Bob Peterson, Delroy Lindo, Jerome Ranft, David Kaye, Elie Docter, Jeremy Leary, Mickie McGowan, Danny Mann, P[/ame]

And you can get UP and Monsters for $34 combined (I'm doing this one)

(make sure to use the MiceChat Amazon links )

• Figment Fan Extradonaire

Blu-ray is definately the way to go as long as you have a television to accomodate the high resolution.

As for me I'm not going to hop on the HD band wagon just yet. It's not stopping at 1080p. They've been developing a "green-ray" technology (as blu-ray broke out), so to speak, that holds 350gb of information on a single layer vs. blu-ray's 25gb on a single disc layer.

Personally I don't feel like spending money on a single film 3 times over that I've already purchased the rights to watch.

Besides, blu-ray doesn't even hold a candle to the quality/resolution of an actual work print of a film nowadays.

In the mean time I'll just use my upconversion DVD player and watch up on that.

Kongalush! To all you fellow adventurers out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Hahaha. Yeah I would love a PS3. I've already got a Wii and a 360 though... don't know if I really need another gaming system considering I rarely ever play those anymore :-\.
    But I may try and swing my dad on buying a PS3 or Blu-Ray player for the family, because the Blu-Ray player he has is in his room on his 42". It deserves to be on the 52"!!
    Haha that sounds like an awesome deal, but I'm in SD, so it's a bit of a distance. And 120" I didn't even know they made TVs that big.
    What kind of TV is it?
    The thing about the PS3 is, it's infinitely upgradable, so when Blu-Ray standards change (as they are known to do), Sony just pushes out a software update and you are good to go... unlike most standalone, Blu-Ray players. So, game system or not, it's worth the purchase (and the holiday deals are about to kick in).

Yea... they do make 120" plasmas, but I don't have one of those, or the hundreds of thousands they cost. I have an prosumer level Epson 1080p projector and a 120" screen. Believe me, when it gets that big, you can tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD, even with the PS3 upscaling the DVD. What's really fun is to watch big action flicks that have been upscaled to HD, on cable, at that size. They look hyper-realistic... almost as if you're watching them being acted out live, on stage.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentFruitcake View Post
    Blu-ray is definately the way to go as long as you have a television to accomodate the high resolution.

As for me I'm not going to hop on the HD band wagon just yet. It's not stopping at 1080p. They've been developing a "green-ray" technology (as blu-ray broke out), so to speak, that holds 350gb of information on a single layer vs. blu-ray's 25gb on a single disc layer.

Personally I don't feel like spending money on a single film 3 times over that I've already purchased the rights to watch.

Besides, blu-ray doesn't even hold a candle to the quality/resolution of an actual work print of a film nowadays.

In the mean time I'll just use my upconversion DVD player and watch up on that.
    Your green-ray comment threw me for a loop, so I did some research.
    Yes, it uses green laser technology, No it's not called green-ray.
    Holographic Versatile Disc = HVD uses green and red lasers and they haven't even started making the things yet. All that's released are specifications and such. Supposedly they're expected to come out between 2016-2020... which gives Blu-Ray about a 10 year run just like DVDs did when they came out in '97.
    So really... investing in Blu-Ray wouldn't be a waste of money. You've got some time before anything better than Blu-Ray comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by lionheartkc View Post
    The thing about the PS3 is, it's infinitely upgradable, so when Blu-Ray standards change (as they are known to do), Sony just pushes out a software update and you are good to go... unlike most standalone, Blu-Ray players. So, game system or not, it's worth the purchase (and the holiday deals are about to kick in).

Yea... they do make 120" plasmas, but I don't have one of those, or the hundreds of thousands they cost. I have an prosumer level Epson 1080p projector and a 120" screen. Believe me, when it gets that big, you can tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD, even with the PS3 upscaling the DVD. What's really fun is to watch big action flicks that have been upscaled to HD, on cable, at that size. They look hyper-realistic... almost as if you're watching them being acted out live, on stage.
    So PS3 makes DVDs look better just like any other Blu-Ray player? That's good. And does it have all the other features as other Blu-Ray players?

The problem with a screen that big, is that I can imagine it being like sitting in the very front row of a movie theater... not only is it overwhelming, but you have to move you head just to watch the movie (done it before, it sucked haha).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast