View Poll Results: DVD or Blu-Ray? AND Are you attending the UP DVD Release?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • DVD

18 33.33%
  • Blu-Ray

33 61.11%
  • Yes, at the Soda Fountain!

3 5.56%
  • Yes, elsewhere!

1 1.85%
  • Nope

15 27.78%
  • I don't like the movie UP and am not Awesome.

2 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Arianator

Re: UP DVD Release, DVD Collection, and DVD vs. Blu-Ray

I would defiantly consider the BluRay option because
    1.) The quality is STUNNING
    2.) I own Sleeping Beauty and Snow White on BluRay, and it is not blurry at all, you can see the lines that the outline the characters with and i thought that was really cool, and especially in a computer-generated film like UP would look wonderful on BluRay.
    3.) The cost issue is not that bad either, i get all my BluRay Movies from Wal-mart. Wal-mart marks down the price by a lot, i probably saved more than $80 on my BluRay collection

• Animation Domination

Just the DVD for me.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    So PS3 makes DVDs look better just like any other Blu-Ray player? That's good. And does it have all the other features as other Blu-Ray players?
    PS3 is generally considered to be the best Blu-Ray player on the market due to the flexibility it has -- unlike some of the early and cheaper players, it's capable of handling all of the current and future firmware updates. So, you won't be one of the ones that needs to worry about missing out on some of the features because your player won't support it.

Just be sure to get the blu-ray remote -- controlling with the PS3 game controllers are a pain.
    -Tim

I'll buy it on DVD....just like 98% of the rest of the free world, unless of course Disney feels the need to trick people into buying the blue ray as they did with Snow White.

• World Traveler

I'm a bit confused. I do not have a Blu Ray player, but if I buy the Blu Ray version, will I still be able to see the extra features?

Depends if the special features are on a blue ray disc or DVD.

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Depends if the special features are on a blue ray disc or DVD.
    How was it in previous Disney/Pixar Blu Ray sets?

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    I'll buy it on DVD....just like 98% of the rest of the free world, unless of course Disney feels the need to trick people into buying the blue ray as they did with Snow White.
    Wow such strong feelings... why?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    The problem with a screen that big, is that I can imagine it being like sitting in the very front row of a movie theater... not only is it overwhelming, but you have to move you head just to watch the movie (done it before, it sucked haha).
    Actually, based on the seating in my theater, it's perfect sized, just right to fill your entire field of vision without you having to turn your head.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    Just be sure to get the blu-ray remote -- controlling with the PS3 game controllers are a pain.
    Or, even better, snag one of the many USB components you can get for PS3 that allow you to use a standard, programmable I/R remote with it. I have one that is virtually invisible, and gives basic control of the system. Logitech and a couple other companies make more advanced ones, that handle even more functions and are a separate box from the PS3.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

I am buying my first blu ray with Up! 1 because it will be the format of choice in a year or so, blu ray players are going to take a big price drop after the holidays this year! 2 because it comes with the digital copy, who does not want Russel on their iPod and 3 because it was a movie I feel spending a few extra dollars on is more then justified!
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Circle of Ancients

I got my PS3 remote used at Game Stop for about $15. Not a bad deal at all.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I bought it!! and I used that link. At least I think I used it right... haha
    I bought the 4 Disc Combo pack of UP and of the new Monsters Inc release that comes out the same day. $32 (plus free shipping and handling) for 2 4-disc movie packs. That is a STEAL.

Wow such strong feelings... why?
    Because I have been though too many 'format wars'.
    DVD is the current de-facto home video format. Which to something like 90% of the market is better than good enough.

The introduction of blue ray has nothing to do with bringing Hi Def to the masses (the masses don't care), but rather to sell (and resell) discs at a higher profit margin to the general public, and to reap higher license fees for Sony (who has not develpoed a winning format since the audio cassette Walkman)

I feel a lot of time, effort and money is being wasted to promote a video format that for all intensive purposes is Dead On Arrival. Money that could go to producing new (and hopefully better) classic films (or creating new attractions at Disneyland) Something I think even Sony knows, why else would they announce that the PS3 (their best selling blue ray player) will have access to down-loadable content ala Netflix?

I've had Beta, VHS, SVHS, MII, and Laserdisc, and now DVD so it's not like I don't like high quality home video presentations, but I feel that blue ray was rushed to market as an unfinished product, that for too many is still too expensive.

And like it or not Disney's main demographic is the kiddie sect (not ones to care about how many gigs a disc will hold), not the videophile. As a result blue ray advantages end up being largely irrelevant to anyone not owning a $20,000 home theater.
    They'll sell 20 million DVD's easy of UP, and will be lucky to sell 1 - 2 million of the blue ray.

Sony keeps trying to push a format that most people don't want (and may even not know about yet) even though the market is shifting to smaller and more portable formats ( I mean really how long has the MP3 been the driving force of the music industry and where is Sony's viable iPod rival?) like Apple TV, and Digital Copy, HULU, and Youtube.

Current projections have blue ray at less than 74% market penetration by 2017... and than I think is optimistic.

• Circle of Ancients

Even if Blu Ray goes away it's not like you won't still be able to play the discs on your player. The fact is, your not going to find a better up-converting player than the PS3 either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast