Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Make it BLUE!

Re: A Christmas Carol

The telling of the story is very close to the book, but in a film there are always going to beflourishes and additions to show off what filmmakers are capable of now. I saw this with my husband over the weekend and was truly fascinated by the technical accomplishments.

The actual film reminded me of the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol" from way back when...It had that kind of feel to it.

I liked it...but I still felt it was lacking something. It could just be that seeing Jim Carrey attempt to capture 4 entirely different personalities against himself just didn't quite click for me. I felt cheated by his performance and it felt forced.
    Keep moving forward
    “Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
    - Walt Disney

Walt Disney is my hero.

• Banned User

I think if your kids can handle Harry Potter, they can probably handle this movie - it's the same level of "dark" IMO. The movie is such a classic story that I think it'll probably stick around for the holidays - if anything, it's a good one to kick it off!

• Minion

Once again, here's my review from a local paper

CLICK HERE:

Santa Maria Sun | Film

Quote Originally Posted by Excerpt from review, see link above for full review
    Brent: Zemeckis’ world of motion capture is a strange middle ground between live action and animation. There are moments when you forget you’re watching CGI and just see the characters. There are others when it feels like they’re being manipulated by some strange invisible force instead of moving on their own. Thankfully, in this film there’s much more of the former—whereas in The Polar Express, it was pretty much completely the latter. The medium seems to improve with each film. (Nonetheless, Mr. Zemeckis, please, please, please don’t use motion capture on the rumored Roger Rabbit sequel! But I digress.) One of the more impressive 3D effects involves the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. He’s basically depicted as a shadow, but periodically, a three-dimensional skeletal hand emerges to point something out to Scrooge. It’s really eerie, not to mention visually inventive. I can’t imagine that effect coming off as well without 3D.

Roberta: Oh, that was sooooo good. The way the Spirit of Christmas Past looked like a candle was also very creative. When they would fly, the movement was almost like Soarin’ Over California at Disney’s California Adventure for me. It was thrilling, but almost too much.

Brent:Please note that any time the camera moves in a movie, Mom feels like she’s on Soarin’ Over California...

Also, check out my 30 second version of the story:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-BXFKUYCi0]YouTube - A Christmas Carol: The Shortest Version Ever Told...[/ame]

(Note: Made before I saw the new mov
    ie, so I just used sort of "general" voices for the characters.)
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I went in with no expectations and I loved it. The settings were lovely, the Christmas Carols in the soundtrack were so beautiful that it really put me in the Christmas mood. We saw the 3-D version and I enjoyed how the snow flurries would fly towards the audience. I took my 8 and 10 year olds and they liked it as well. My 8 year old son got startled a couple of times. A scene would be very quiet and then there would be a loud crash from out of nowhere. My son nearly jumped out of his seat a couple of times! He didn't complain about being scared though.

The movie was close enough to the book that there were a few instances where we had trouble following what was being said. Sometimes it's hard to understand old English, especially for a girl who grew up in So-Cal, LOL! I enjoyed it though, and was glad I brought my kids to see it. This was the first time they've ever heard the story.

I'm not a fan of Jim Carey, so I was pleasantly surprised in his performances. Yes, the characters looked a little weird. I would describe it as more of a storybook illustration (which I'm guessing was the aim) similar to the characters in Polar Express. A few times the faces would lose their continuity, which I'm guessing there were a few different animators working on one character. That was the only thing that annoyed me.

I would highly recommend this movie, especially if you're a Christmas junkie like me. Lannie

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

There were a couple scenes where I jumped out of my seat too aka the
    Spoiler
    'doorknocker scene'.

Overall, wonderful film. Jim Carrey was fabulous and Gary Oldman was awesome! Like I said, there were a few chair-jumping moments, but I would give it two thumbs up.

BTW
    Spoiler
    That scene where Ghost of Christmas Present is dying while laughing with those two creepy kids is nightmare worthy. Bravo
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I have a real problem with the Ghost of Christmas Past

Spoiler
    They tried to make the character silly but that is not the character. Isn't the character supposed to be forcing Scrooge to reflect on the past and thus should be in the sort of mood as well? I think Muppet Christmas Carol actually did a better job on the ghosts than this movie. They really captured the spirit of that past present and future are without going to extremes. Past was silly, present was too creepy and future was not creepy enough...

Overall it was an OK movie. I enjoyed it but I don't think I am going to go out of my way to watch it again. We did the 3-d and yes it was visually beautiful, but like I said, over all I am sort of ho hum about the whole thing.

I really think Michale Cain's Scrooge was what Scrooge is, so watching Jim Carey make a mockery of the character was difficult for me. (And I LOVE Jim Carey!)

5/10 for me, not horrendous but not stupendous.

• Professional Lurker

Thumbs up Re: A Christmas Carol

I've seen this in both standard 3D and IMAX 3D now. The film was a little too dark and scary for my six year old daughter, but it captures the essence of the book perfectly. The animation is top notch. The IMAX 3D was a deeper, more eyepopping 3D than the one at the standard theater, and had many of the kids in the audience reaching out towards the screen (I don't know why but it always makes my day to see this). I didn't see any kids reacting this way in the standard theater. There's just something about the 3D that is different or the screen size makes it appear so. I don't get it but the 3D on the IMAX was much better. That said, with the number of the scary scenes in this film, you may want to save the 3D for yourself. It's a fun christmas story with a time honored message.

• MC State Comptroller

Visually i give it a 9 out of 10

Story wise I give it a 3 out of 10

I love the dickens classic and to me this movie captured very little of it. It felt to geared to gimmickry (not the 3D) and slapstick humor at the expense of the story. The acting was good though.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Minion

I really didn't enjoy it at all. I felt they tried to add action where none was needed and that the motion capture made it hard to watch. It always felt like the characters were kinda cross eyed, like they could never actually see eachother. I love the origonal story, this felt like it lacked heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12