• I'm your huckleberry.

Article in Defense of Eisner's Legacy

One of my favorite Libertarian magazines ran a short article about Eisner's tenture. You can find it at:

http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/2005...p.shtml#011344

• Sock Puppet

Re: Article in Defense of Eisner's Legacy

Thanks for posting the article. I found it interesting especially since it's something that I agree with. Disney was in bad shape before Eisner and Eisner turned things around. Now, I don't see Eisner as the anti-christ like many people do however I do believe in the old saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely". He wasn't corrupt in a business sense (still debatable) but the power corrupted his judgement perhaps and eventually decisions were made that were/are not in the best interest of the Disney Corporation.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mirror
    Thanks for posting the article. I found it interesting especially since it's something that I agree with. Disney was in bad shape before Eisner and Eisner turned things around. Now, I don't see Eisner as the anti-christ like many people do however I do believe in the old saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely". He wasn't corrupt in a business sense (still debatable) but the power corrupted his judgement perhaps and eventually decisions were made that were/are not in the best interest of the Disney Corporation.

I agree to an extent..I look at Eisner as a modern day Cesar:

Ceasar built an empire, but left unchecked his power ultimately and eventually tainted his judgement and because of this, destroyed everything which he had built...

If Eisner had not retired- in my opinon (notice, "my" opinon) he would have ridden the company into very serious troubles. Possibly taking it back to the same state or worse than which he found it in.

Example: budgets. He was responsible for cutting budgets park-wide where the quality and safety of the park slid down hill becuase of those decisions to cut them. Costs of equiptment and services goes up, so how can a budget for things that deal with safety of guests (rides, ride parts, etc.) be cut year after year and expected to be 'Walt' quality and safe?

Just my two cents.

• Circle of Ancients

Nice Article. Thanks for sharing.

Some of the attached thoughts on the article are not bad either.

I agree 100% with this:

It's not the case that Eisner had "one good decade, one bad decade" so much as he was unable to recruit and maintain the executive and managerial talent he needed to keep Disney Animation in business. Frank Wells' genius was that he could keep Eisner distracted while the writers could actually write, and the talent in general could, for lack of a better word, "talent."