Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

Whatevers.... Grease, Popcorn, and pricey thats what ya expect, just enjoy it and the movie! Its not like you eat and go to the theaters everyday anyway.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    Whatevers.... Grease, Popcorn, and pricey thats what ya expect, just enjoy it and the movie! Its not like you eat and go to the theaters everyday anyway.
    No, but the grease and butter and sugar coupled with the dinner at In N Out before or after the show ...

And some people go to the movies once a week. I know many times in the summer we do. Nobody should be eating the equivalent of 3 Quarter Pounders in a week.

About the prices, I expect to pay a premium for things when I go to Disneyland or the Movies. It's always been that way, it's not going to change now.

The sad thing is, as far as the popcorn is concerned, they can make it less fattening, it's not hard to do.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

^Right, I don't stop going to the movies because the popcorn is too expensive, I still go, I just don't buy nothing. :P That isn't to say we haven't before, we just try and get stuff before we go.

My movie going experience isn't ruined, only my diet. LOL :P

• Happy Memories

I'm just not someone who needs a snack at the movies, but I don't understand why the theaters don't step into this century and re-evaluate their offerings. Instead of trying to fight things by saying "this is how we make our money", change your offerings. Sure, there will always be people who insist on having popcorn, candy and soda at a movie, because that's just the way it's always been for them. I can appreciate the nostalgia even if I don't feel it myself. So I'm not saying to do away with those options. However it wouldn't be that hard to offer other options, some of which are healthier and all of which might be more appealing and worthy of a premium price. In the long run, I think it's the theater operators who think outside the box like that who will be best equipped to survive.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Speaking of changing offerings at the theater...

Whomever mentioned coffee is a genius. I drink a lot of coffee and I want coffee in a cold theater, but it's rare to get a cup, even rarer to get a good cup.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Life is all about choice and moderation.

Most of the time I'm a die hard must have popcorn type of movie goer. We've scaled back to a small. That's a change I can live with.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ We have one of those near us now and have been meaning to try it. Is it distracting watching a movie while people are getting served food?
    No it's counter service at Muvico. I know some Muvico theatres have bars and regular restaurants though.

But I've been to one of those little theatres that's also a full service restaurant... the Tampa Pitcher Show The food was good (I had a great pizza) and it didn't interrupt the movie at all. I've been wanting to try the Cinema Cafe here in Clearwater sometime to see how it compares. I think they recently remodeled too. Plus they serve alcohol!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    No, but the grease and butter and sugar coupled with the dinner at In N Out before or after the show ...

And some people go to the movies once a week. I know many times in the summer we do. Nobody should be eating the equivalent of 3 Quarter Pounders in a week.

About the prices, I expect to pay a premium for things when I go to Disneyland or the Movies. It's always been that way, it's not going to change now.

The sad thing is, as far as the popcorn is concerned, they can make it less fattening, it's not hard to do.
    I'm Baaaaaaaaad Because I love that fattening popcorn with butter and salt! MMmmm... Nice and warm too!

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    I'm just not someone who needs a snack at the movies, but I don't understand why the theaters don't step into this century and re-evaluate their offerings. Instead of trying to fight things by saying "this is how we make our money", change your offerings. Sure, there will always be people who insist on having popcorn, candy and soda at a movie, because that's just the way it's always been for them. I can appreciate the nostalgia even if I don't feel it myself. So I'm not saying to do away with those options. However it wouldn't be that hard to offer other options, some of which are healthier and all of which might be more appealing and worthy of a premium price. In the long run, I think it's the theater operators who think outside the box like that who will be best equipped to survive.
    Yup, look at what the Springfield theater did in the future; they're offering Soylent Green at the concession. Mmmmmmm Soylent Green...

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    I totally agree.

You know in France ... you can get beer in a movie theatre. And I'm not talking about a plastic cup, I mean a GLASS of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    No it's counter service at Muvico. I know some Muvico theatres have bars and regular restaurants though.

But I've been to one of those little theatres that's also a full service restaurant... the Tampa Pitcher Show The food was good (I had a great pizza) and it didn't interrupt the movie at all. I've been wanting to try the Cinema Cafe here in Clearwater sometime to see how it compares. I think they recently remodeled too. Plus they serve alcohol!
    Our Muvico is a full-service restaurant, but I'm really insterested in trying it. The kids are gone this week, maybe Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Yup, look at what the Springfield theater did in the future; they're offering Soylent Green at the concession. Mmmmmmm Soylent Green...

• Iron-Clad Allie

It's time for a showdown! These turkeys at the theaters sneak in higher and higher consession prices... I sneak in reasonably priced food... and take in a free second feature. By that time I'm out of my contraband food, so I end up buying consession food. So, I spread my discontent around to both the theaters and the studios. LOL!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-20-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    I'm Baaaaaaaaad Because I love that fattening popcorn with butter and salt! MMmmm... Nice and warm too!
    Ditto-me loves that buttery theater popcorn.

• ...is busy, please hold.

^Same here!
    Though I often leave the popcorn free of that theater "melted butter" crap cause I know it's not real butter,if not anything, and will just make the corn wet and soggy. I never leave the concession bar without Maynard's, Skittles or Sour Twizzler Bits in hand.And when ever it's financially possible, I substitute popcorn with either New York Fries or TCBY (yum!).

I may sound like a fat pig, but I have a overactive metabolism so I don't really worry about theater carbs. I know what I'm eating,so I don't have to listen to fear tactics to think otherwise.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Fortuosity!

Why do I have a feeling even if healthier food options were given American Serving Size standards would kill whatever makes the food healthy to begin with?

For me it's just a small bag of popcorn, a candy bar or restaurant food. I don't go to the movie theatres that often (I'm impressed if anybody can go weekly) so like fast food, the healthiness of theater food isn't an issue. Besides that makes it more of a treat!
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Banned User

With the rare exceptions being I am absolutely starving and won't be able to concentrate on the movie because of my growling stomach, I never bother with the concession stand anymore. It's overpriced junk food that I can get elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

Now, having said that, if theaters had a diner inside them, or maybe even a food court that paid them rent and offered a bit of culinary variety (even fast food), I might eat inside the theater. Might.

But theaters could, and should, also make their profits from other offerings like (duh!) movie-related books, CDs, and (obviously) DVDs. Odd that so few (if any) provide them in their lobbies. I guess the people that operate movie theaters are brainless dolts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast