Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

I thought about putting this in the main lounge, but since this thread is above "Movies" I figured it would fit here as well.

We've long known that movie theatre snacks are bad ... but not THIS bad.

Horror Show: Movie Popcorn = 3 Burgers + 12 Pats of Butter - Nutrition | Physical - FOXNews.com

Apparently 1 tub of popcorn, soda and candy = 3 Quarter Pounders and one stick of butter. OUCH!!!

This is why we end up at Wetzels Pretzels before our movie and get some unbuttered Pretzels.

• Happy Memories

Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

Wow! Glad I don't indulge in snackage when I go to the movies.

•   
    • Seasick

Well then, it's very thoughtful of movie theaters to price those deadly snacks so high that I never buy them anyway.

Popcorn, with minimal butter, is actually a relatively healthy snack as well. I imagine this situation is similair to eating out anywhere. Restaurant meals tend to taste really good, because they use lots of butter and what-not.

Sacrificing taste in favour of healthier items just isn't good for business I imagine.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Well then, it's very thoughtful of movie theaters to price those deadly snacks so high that I never buy them anyway.

Popcorn, with minimal butter, is actually a relatively healthy snack as well. I imagine this situation is similair to eating out anywhere. Restaurant meals tend to taste really good, because they use lots of butter and what-not.

Sacrificing taste in favour of healthier items just isn't good for business I imagine.
    LMAO about the prices!!!

I think with relation to the popcorn, the butter has a LOT to do with it, but the oil as well. We have 94% fat free popcorn at home done in the microwave. It may not be as buttery but it's still yummy.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I hardly ever do popcorn at the movies anymore. I usually just get a package of overpriced Twizzlers (if they have them... Reeses Pieces if not) and the small drink.

Unless I go to a Muvico theatre, then all bets are off. They serve actual food there. I like their chicken fingers & curly fries. They got good quesadillas too.

• Circle of Ancients

^ We have one of those near us now and have been meaning to try it. Is it distracting watching a movie while people are getting served food?

• Banned User

Blog Entries

1) Who Gets What From Your $10 Ticket?
    Ok, so you walk up to the box office and drop down your $10 to buy your ticket. Who gets that money? A lot of people assume (as did I at one point) that the movie theater keeps 50% of it, and the rest goes off to the studios. That’s not really true.

Most of the money that a theatre takes in from ticket sales goes back to the movie studio. The studio leases a movie to your local theater for a set period of time. In the first couple of weeks the film shows in the theatre, the theatre itself only gets to keep about 20% – 25% of the green. That means, if you showed up to watch Bridget Jones’ Diary on opening night, then of the $12 you put out for a ticket, the movie theatre only got to keep between $2.40 and $3.00 of it.

That’s not a lot of money, especially when you think about how much bigger and elaborate theatres are these days. It’s not cheap running one of these places. It can get even worse. This percentage will vary from movie to movie depending on the specifics of the individual leasing deal. For instance, 2 movie theatre managers told me that for Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, the studio took 100% of the box office take for the first week of release. Can you imagine that? They had to over staff and have above normal capacity flood into their theatres… and they got to keep $0.00 from the ticket sales. That almost seems criminal.

Now, as you move into the second and third weeks of release, the percentage starts to swing to anywhere from 45% – 55% that the theatre gets to keep. It gets better after the fourth week when theatres generally can keep up to 80% or better of the ticket sales. There is an obvious inherent problem with this arrangement. I don’t know about you, but when I finally get around to seeing a film that’s already been in the theatres for 4 or 5 weeks, I’m usually one of the only people in the place. It doesn’t do the establishment a lot of good to keep 80% of the ticket sales when only 14 tickets are sold per show. And with more and more and more movies getting released every week, the length of time that a movie stays in theaters is shrinking. Bad news for the movie theaters.

Movie theaters are then forced to really make their money off concessions. One theater manager said “We’re not in the movie business… we’re in the candy business”. Very true.
    Economics Of The Movie Theater – Where The Money Goes And Why It Costs Us So Much | The Movie Blog

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The last time I went to the movies, the popcorn cost more than the movie tickets. When I read the latest about the fat, and calorie amounts in the popcorn, I decided that next time I go to the movies, I'll pass on the popcorn. Then I can go to the movies more often, and it will be good for my waistline too.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• MC State Comptroller

I am not a big fan of movie theatre food. My wife on the other hand loves to pig out there and treat it like a smorgasbord (which is fine she's a health nut on everything else). Cheese pizza, nachos, pretzels and two sodas add up. I'd much rather go out to dinner before hand, which we do sometimes, but if we don't and when we get to the concession stand she gets like a kid in a candy store.

I know theaters depend on the concession stand to make money which is why many are struggling and closing.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I saw that this morning on the morning show! Scary!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

I think this tread little funny...
    For reason I just back from the movie
    (Disney Christmas carols 3-D)
    Before tonight , I have not gone to a Theatres for about 2 year's
    I paid over $9.00 for a med.butter popcorn and
    the smallest cup of coke.....
    price was very high!
    I though I was at Disneyland!
    PS:
    Sorry ,but is a Muvico theatre?
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Infinitized!

I rarely buy popcorn. I think this summer when Star Trek came out, it was the first time in 2 or 3 years I bought popcorn.

I wish more theaters sold coffee. At least one local theater allows you to bring in outside coffee as there is a coffee shop right next door to the theater.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I used to hate movie popcorn, until I discovered those flavor sprinkle things. So good! And calories: I walk to our local theater. It's 2.4ish miles there and 2.4ish miles back.

• For old time sake

I never buy popcorn at the movies!!!! it's always candy. Cause you know, candy is so good for my teeth and all.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

We just stopped buying concessions. I understand the economics of it but I just can't justify the price. So we stop at a convenience store and buy drinks there and bring them to the theater.

We were just talking about it this morning, about what we were going to see this weekend. New Moon, 2012 and Planet 51 were on the list. After figuring out how much we would be spending just on tickets, we nixed the last 2 movies.

I love Netflix, one price, no late fees. I honestly don't know how much longer movie theaters can keep this up with so many "at home" options becoming available. The minute they make it possible to order new movies at home, they are going to crash and burn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast