View Poll Results: How much Money Do you think Princess and the frog will make opening weekend?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-20 million

1 3.13%
  • 21-39 million

11 34.38%
  • 40-59 million

16 50.00%
  • 60-79 million

2 6.25%
  • 80 Million Plus!!

2 6.25%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• no flash photography...

re: How much will Princess and the Frog make Opening weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    OH NO, only 25 million? I GUess its to much competition out. but i think that overtime it will fair well so i wouldn't panic just yet. But whats trouble is the Alvan and the chipmunks sequel
    It's not surprising. The storyline holds no interest for me and I don't know why they went old school and then tried to promote it like it's a good thing. Animation has evolved. That's like making a movie with 1960's special effects...nobody would be interested in seeing it.

I wonder if it would have fared better if they had used pixar style animation?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    OH NO, only 25 million? I GUess its to much competition out.
    too much competition? it had virtually none. It just didn't pull people into the theatres... I thought I was giving it a free pass by comparing to up (even tho it had a 68mil weekend) but obviously the Disney name isn't enough to pull them in.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    but obviously the Disney name isn't enough to pull them in.
    Certainly not. This is the first Disney hand drawn animated feature released in 5 1/2 years and follows 3 that didn't do much at the domestic box office. As far as the general public is concerned there hasn't been a good hand drawn Disney movie since Lilo and Stitch, over 7 years ago.

It makes sense that most people would wait to hear what others think of it first before rushing into theatres to go see it which I think is the reason why it didn't make the "$50+ million" gushing fans here thought it might.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    too much competition? it had virtually none. It just didn't pull people into the theatres... I thought I was giving it a free pass by comparing to up (even tho it had a 68mil weekend) but obviously the Disney name isn't enough to pull them in.

well the month of december is usually for the crowds to go christmas shopping.

• Banned User

Re: How much will Princess and the Frog make Opening weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    It's not surprising. The storyline holds no interest for me and I don't know why they went old school and then tried to promote it like it's a good thing. Animation has evolved. That's like making a movie with 1960's special effects...nobody would be interested in seeing it.

Nah. The whole point of the thing was to bring back 2D, and that's a great idea. For my part, if the Disney folks could make a 2D animated film that was as good as Lady and the Tramp or The Lion King, it'd kill at the box office. But this movie looked very generic, unfortunately. Very slick, bouncy, contrived and not terribly compelling. And the character designs were the WORST. What boring frogs and alligators! It looked like a direct-to-DVD sequel or prequel. Really, I wish it well - I may go to see it - but I hope the next 2D has a bit more gumption and, well, creativity behind it.

• i heart plunging v-necks

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    $24.7 million
    OK, how much money do I win?

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Infinitized!

"One billion Twenty-five million dollars!"

I honestly thought it was going to make more. And next weekend it has to compete with Avatar.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post

My feelings exaclty. It felt like it was trying to hard to be an old school animation and past disney classics as well.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    OK, how much money do I win?

Well my lucky guess went to the 20 million range lol. so we should share the cost. lol.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I'm going to throw one more idea out there....Quite a few schools aren't out for Christmas Vacation yet. Not sure how this Winter release date compares to those of the past, but I won't be taking my kids to see this until vacation. My sister is coming to town a week from tomorrow, so between them and us, you're looking at a total of seven tickets. Maybe it's not the juggernaut that we hoped it would be, but I think it will still bring in close to 20 million each week for the next couple of weeks, if not more. I know Disney didn't want to go up against Avatar, but I think the serious Christmas season cash doesn't really begin flowing until the week before and after Christmas.

I'm probably wrong, but I just thought I would throw that out there.

• Circle of Ancients

This past weekend is not a traditionally heavy movie weekend anyway. It's going to play well into the new year. I think MANY people were taking a "wait and see" approach on this and it's currently 83% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. That's VERY good considering Christmas Carol is 55%.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    This past weekend is not a traditionally heavy movie weekend anyway. It's going to play well into the new year. I think MANY people were taking a "wait and see" approach on this and it's currently 83% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. That's VERY good considering Christmas Carol is 55%.
    I don't think so. I think it doesn't hold a candle next to Avatar. With opening weekend numbers of $25 million I think it will be lucky to make 2nd place next weekend. But we shall see.

This movie's biggest problem? It's about a Princess. Sorry Disney but once again you alienated your preteen male market. When are you ever going to learn? You better start cranking out some Marvel stuff and quick.

DIP Jr has no interest at all in this movie. As for Avavtar he is chomping at the bit to see that one.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't think so. I think it doesn't hold a candle next to Avatar. With opening weekend numbers of $25 million I think it will be lucky to make 2nd place next weekend. But we shall see.

This movie's biggest problem? It's about a Princess. Sorry Disney but once again you alienated your preteen male market. When are you ever going to learn? You better start cranking out some Marvel stuff and quick.

DIP Jr has no interest at all in this movie. As for Avavtar he is chomping at the bit to see that one.
    Did Avatar alienate the Princess loving/young gilr market? Not every movie can be for every human on the planet. Sorry DIP Jr doesn't like Princesses or the Little Mermaid ride, my son was able to endure it with few scars.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

And on that note Treasure Planet didn't too so well either... ... I love the movie but wasn't a blockbuster hit. For that matter Atlantis bombed as well.

I think that if positive buzz continues it has the potential to earn a great deal of money over the holiday season... specifically with families that have younger children (Disney's primary target audience). LA Times seems to hold the same opinion.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If I recall correctly Enchanted Had a much better opening weekend. I think this is mainly because early marketing of this movie de-emphasized the "princess" aspect and focused more on those things that would draw young males to see it for example the bike rider taking a fall in central park and scenes like that. They knew that the movie was going to draw a certain number just from the female audience but IMO their early marketing efforts brought in larger numbers than if they had left this out.

I think Disney assumed that just because this is a 2D movie about a princess it would automatically make huge numbers. Or at least more than what it did. I think the failure to make much was due to poor marketing of this movie and Disney's failure to show audiences just what about the story makes it special. I haven't seen this yet but maybe they could have emphasized Dr Facilier more in their marketing and maybe that would have attracted more to see it.

Bottom line the low numbers are either due to poor marketing or it's truly a lousy movie. I'd like to think it's the former.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast