View Poll Results: What did you think of "Princess and the Frog"?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - 2D animation makes a hoppin' return!

    82 70.69%
  • 4 Stars - A Hippity, Hoppity Good Time

    26 22.41%
  • 3 Stars - An average leap

    6 5.17%
  • 2 Stars - Where was Kermit?

    1 0.86%
  • 1 Stars - It Croaked

    1 0.86%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
Results 151 to 165 of 165
  1. #151

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    Very well said

    But you know those are my thoughts and me being a black American, i have to tout how i feel about those kinda issues. i really think that its not progressive in any way to throw out the race card constantly. for me race nor what my race has gone through in the past should not define the future nor should it be an excuse for inadequate behavior.

    And I think that's the best attitude to have when it's about race in the media. We have a looong way to go but there have been significant contributions. There are countless other ethnicities and backgrounds that have yet to be memorialized in a Disney animated feature and I don't think people should ever expect it, but appreciate it when it does happen because it's not just a gift for us, but a gift for all generations to come.

    Princess and the Frog is a good movie. The heart of it shows that it's what you are under the skin that's important. And yes, it requires a plot device that turns our two leads into frogs to prove that point, but this movie can show a lot of young people who may have thought one way about another race to perhaps think differently - and that's a GOOD thing. How are all men created equal if we're so different on the outside? Turn us all into frogs and we'll find out how similar we really are.

    I was at Target just now and in the snacks aisle, there was a girl sitting in her mom's cart. She's probably 3 or 4 years old and her eyes sees the Princess and the Frog fruit snacks. She keeps on saying to her mom repeatedly "Princess and Frog! Princess and Frog! I want Princess and Frog!". The box of fruit snacks has a big picture of Tiana dominantly gracing it so there's no mistaking what it was that caught her attention, since she can't even read.

    That toddler was not black. She was of a latin background and I think that speaks volumes of where we are now compared to where we were three, four, seven decades ago.


    Diversity is becoming a bigger and bigger thing at major media companies. There are even some companies that have an entire department focused on that issue alone. Are the programs we air a proper representation of our viewing audience? Are we still using characters of stereotype or are we doing better than that? etc etc.

    I know that Duffy Dad had previously mentioned that he would rather not have a black Disney princess if what we got was Tiana. I don't think that's a fair request and perhaps a bit selfish even because there are countless youngsters who will benefit from having a character like Tiana to look up to. Warts and all.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  2. #152

    • ...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,075

    Talking Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    ...
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-26-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: ...

  3. #153

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    I love how this thread became totally awesome in my absence.

  4. #154

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Oh, by the way, D.C.Girl@THEMOVIES' review:

    D.C.GIRL@THEMOVIES: THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG

    Do you remember when I said I could forgive a lot if only the movie is good? Well, folks...it ain't.

    It's not good. It's a mediocre, meandering mess, full of the most flatly literal songs I have ever heard in a supposed Disney fairytale.

    You could seriously turn the words "hard work" into a drinking game for this movie and be wasted by the end. The white girls? Get fairytale escapism. Little black girls? Get lectured, condescended to, and preached at about what they need to be doing to *earn* their fairytale ending.

    The songs are so bad the Family Guy *parody* of Newman's singing was catchier than many of his songs in this movie.

    There's no sign of that patient unfolding of a tale that we used to see at the peak of Disney's animation reign. None of the magic. No soul-lighting overtures like Part of Your World, Belle, or even Hakuna Matata.
    She goes on to express her immense disappointment (she had been looking forward to it eagerly), but sums up, surprisingly, with a partial recommendation.


    Below even *my* expectations.

    PARENTS: I'm recommending this for the kids even with all the bad things I said about it...at least the less discerning young ones. It means more that kids get to see this kind of diversity on the big screen than it does that everything else about this is a bore.

    ...And I'm not just talking about black kids.

    It's not enough to teach your kids to treat everyone the same, in order to make them full, well-rounded, open-minded individuals around people of *every* background.

    You've also got to expose them to as much of that diverse world as you can, from the start.
    (my emphasis - Retro)


    P.S. Looking for better movies to make your little black girl feel like a princess?
    Here are a few movies I'd recommend that came out WELL BEFORE this "first black princess" movie.

    POLLY
    THE WIZ
    RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN'S CINDERELLA
    KIRIKOU AND THE SORCERESS ...and sequels
    AKEELAH AND THE BEE

    P.P.S. Mulan was in China. Aladdin was in the Middle East.

    Seriously, how hard would it have been to simply adapt Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters and do it Beauty and Beast style?

    Selective Eurocentrism, for the lose.
    My point in sharing reviews like this, much like DuffyDad's reason for discussing so much of what he's brought to this thread (and thank you sir!), is because THE CONVERSATION NEEDS TO BE HAD. Points of view like this need to be heard. Perspectives, as widely varied as they are, need to be shared, so that we all might better understand each other and continue to overcome the divisions of the past and present, and unify into a more cohesive whole in the future. We can't do that without discussing the things that need to be discussed, complex and difficult and painful though they may very well be.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    Perhaps we really are moving towards a time when there is enough genuine awareness - among all people - both about race and about history that we don't have to be as concerned about representations in media, no matter how responsible or irresponsible they are. Perhaps the American public really has made real progress in the past forty years.
    I think we as a nation have, in many respects, and I agree that overall we are moving towards that time you mention, but despite all the progress that has been made, we're not at all there yet. We still have quite a ways to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    PS - Was I demonstrating "inadequate behavior" by wanting to have this conversation? I thought it was worth talking about. I think it's good for us to talk about this stuff. If nothing else, it means that Disney fans are not just blind followers of everything emblazoned with mouse ears!^^

    I think, no matter where we come from, or how we come to the table, inevitably everyone benefits from just being able to talk about these issues openly. We all learn, and we all grow, and when we do it right, we all come together.
    ON-POINT. And no, you weren't wrong to want to have this conversation.

  5. #155

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    I think i've seen the film 3 times now and love it more and more.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  6. #156

    • Infinitized!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    I finally saw it last night for the first time and really enjoyed it! Great music, good humour, good story. It's just sad that it isn't making the numbers Disney had thought it would. The last box office chart I checked out, it wasn't in the top ten and it still didn't beak even. If I had a little bit more money now I'd probably go see it again. I did recommend it to my sister. I will definitely be picking up the DVD when it comes out in early summer or the fall.

  7. #157

    • ...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,075

    Thumbs up Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    ON-POINT. And no, you weren't wrong to want to have this conversation.
    I appreciate your post, Retrocool, but it's become clear to me that the vast majority - in fact, seemingly approaching everyone - here is either unable or unwilling to see anything wrong with the film, much less discuss it. It has been truly heartbreaking for me to accept this reality, but I have accepted it, and I don't really wanna talk about it anymore, either. Most people here have more emotion and sadness about the fact that Disney isn't making more money from this crappy movie than about the issues it both ignores and brings up. Just take comfort in those numbers and knowing that outside the bonds of "pledging allegiance to Disney" and the press Disney likely controls, the public has very clearly rejected this film as the lackluster storytelling that it is, all race issues aside. And many have rejected it exactly because of the way it handles race...but you are not likely to find them here. No one cares and no one wants to hear it. It almost feels like even bringing it up anymore is harassing the other people in this thread. I think that's a sick hypocrisy, but I also think it's real. I accept it for what it is and encourage you to do the same. Sadly, it's not worth it.
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-25-2010 at 09:45 AM.

  8. #158

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    I appreciate your post, Retrocool, but it's become clear to me that the vast majority - in fact, seemingly approaching everyone - here is either unable or unwilling to see anything wrong with the film, much less discuss it.

    Just the same, you are unable or unwilling to see anything right with the film? Please don't get into this "it's not worth it" attitude you have right now. We were all here to discuss the issue and it was a very interesting topic for several pages.

    I think you just have a VERY different background coming in from 98% of us and you probably wouldn't like it even if she wasn't a frog the whole picture. There would be something else that would bother you or cause you to hate the movie. You put it on a pedestal and you shouldn't.

    I spoke to my closest black friends about their thoughts on the picture and they liked it. They were all born and raised in CA. I'm still trying to get my roommate to see it though. I'm curious as to what she'll think of it.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  9. #159

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    CountryRelease
    Date
    Total Gross / As OfBulgaria 12/25/09 $239,533 1/17/10 Czech Republic 12/26/09 n/a n/a France and Algeria, Monaco, Morocco and Tunisia 1/27/10 n/a n/a Germany 12/10/09 $10,851,369 1/17/10 Italy 12/18/09 $1,570,970 12/20/09 Lithuania 2/19/10 n/a n/a Romania 2/12/10 n/a n/a Russia - CIS 12/24/09 n/a n/a Slovakia 2/18/10 n/a n/a South Korea 1/21/10 $1,352 11/29/09 United Kingdom and Ireland and Malta 2/12/10 n/a n/a Note: Overall foreign totals are updated weekly for most currently playing movies. The country breakdowns are updated less frequently and do not necessarily add up to the foreign totals.
    Domestic Total as of Jan. 24, 2010: $99,155,000

    TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES Domestic: $99,155,000 88.7% + Foreign: $12,663,224 11.3% = Worldwide: $111,818,224

    Source, The Princess and the Frog (2009) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo


    AND THE UNITED KINGDOM FIGURES ARE NOT OUT YET SO IT WILL GET A BIG BOOST. TRUST ME OVER TIME IT WILL BE WELL OFF.

  10. #160

    • ...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,075

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    ...
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-26-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: ...

  11. #161

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Nobody said you didn't have the right to speak, Duffy Dad, but I do think a big part of it is the tone. When I say you're from a background that is 98% different from us, that isn't meant as an insult or an assumption. You said yourself that you're from the south and now you live in Japan - I happen to remember what I read from your posts. The majority of micechatters are Californians that frequent Disneyland. That's just the demographic of this forum. I'm not saying "you're wrong because we overpower you" at all. Just letting you know why you might not agree with our feelings on this subject in particular.

    I happen to have seen this film quite a few times now because I'm a fan of hand drawn animation. And I like it more and more each time because it's a fine film. I am curious if you would like it more or less if you gave it another try.

    When I first saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I hated it. I thought in my head "really? This is not what I expected at all!" I was pretty adamant about that and everyone in my party did too. A few weeks later I decided to give it another go and I ended up loving it. I saw it four times total in the theater and it's one of my favorites of the 90s Disney animation renaissance.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #162

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,929
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Just saw it again (for the third time) it was still really good, its one of the funnier Disney movies and if you care for the characters you still get sad at some points in the movie.

  13. #163

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    Domestic Total as of Jan. 24, 2010: $99,155,000

    TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES Domestic: $99,155,000 88.7% + Foreign: $12,663,224 11.3% = Worldwide: $111,818,224

    Source, The Princess and the Frog (2009) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo
    International Box Office:

    Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" pushed its overseas cume to $67.3 million thanks to a $3 million weekend from 2,725 locations in 28 territories for a cume of $67.3 million.


    'Avatar' passes 'Titanic's' overseas record

    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1109...post1055777408
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

  14. #164

    • Creative Director
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDad View Post
    "You put it on a pedestal and you shouldn't." Again with the presumptions. I was excited about Disney's return to hand-drawn, like a LOT of people. I was excited about a black princess, like a LOT of people. The track record for race issues at Disney had me go in with extremely low expectations and still I was extremely disappointed with the film, all race issues aside. And very disappointed with it in the context of race. Though the dehumanizing frog thing was my main point about race, it was also about storytelling. And though it was one of my major criticisms, you're right, I "probably wouldn't like it even if she wasn't a frog the whole picture," as I have already listed numerous other problems with it. You don't have to guess. And my issues were not all - or even primarily - about race, despite the picture you'd like to paint. The race issues hurt me more, obviously, but the disappointment in its construction was more of a surprise and so more of a letdown. It is a poorly crafted film.

    I never put it on a pedestal. I'm not the one who's singing its praises in spite of the fact that its story is rushed and flimsy while many of its characters lack charm or purpose. I'm not let down because I esteemed it so highly. I didn't like it because it's not well made. If the same film - with the same quality animation - had a DreamWorks stamp, I doubt we'd be having this conversation, but who knows? I just thought it was a lackluster movie. I'm not alone in feeling this. Some have told me privately that they share my feelings but are not willing to post here because of the atmosphere of passive aggressive and sometimes aggressive hostility. I posted simply to let Retrocool know that I heard him. I posted publicly simply to let other people who are reading but not posting here know that I cared what he had to say.

    Many around the web and many with their dollars have voted "no" on this film. We're not all wrong. Many have given Disney their money. Good for you. If you like it, you like it. Go see it again and enjoy. I think I already said that. But do not presume to know anything about me, and do not try to peg me out as different from "98%" (although I suspect you're right)...do you think I'm afraid or ashamed to be in the 2% who don't think used toilet paper with a Mickey mark is a valuable collector's item? I guess the fact that you would (think I'm ashamed) - and the way you try to bully me into feeling like the odd man out - suggests a lot to me why this film appeals to you so much. That said, I wouldn't want to presume. That's always a bad idea. I bet it's a lot more than 2% who can be critical of Disney, whether they ultimately share my views about this movie or not. And I'm not sure that 98% of the people here would have you speak for them.

    Most of my friends don't watch Disney films, even and especially the ones who have children. I love Disney, but I respect all artists enough to be critical about their work. I don't have any black friends who like Disney, so I can't use them to show how "I'm right because a black person thinks so, too!" One of my few friends who also s Disney saw it and saw all the same issues I saw, both with race and with simple basic filmmaking. She was shocked and wanted her money back. My reaction wasn't even that strong; I still have my ticket for March. She's not black or white, nor does that matter - she's a woman who thought it was a bad film, and an offensive one at that. Pigmentation is scarcely a relevant prerequisite for endorsement or criticism, I think. It proves nothing. I just thought I would play along and mention it, so I could be more like the "98%" and maybe have a right to speak.
    DuffyDaddy, I understand you have some deep rooted issues with this film. And your entitled to feel that way. But there are going to be people who disagree...including myself. To say that the controversial issues regarding race in the film are the reason that it is not a commercial success at the box office are simply not the reason why the film has not done as well as expected commercially. Honestly, those with issues regarding the representation of race or the history of this film are actually quite in the minority. There has been a TON of positive press for this film, strong and positive critical reviews...even Rotten Tomatoes had Avatar and Princess with the same rating. For as many sources that some posters here have posted about the controversial points of view or those saying the film is not good there are plenty out there that say the complete opposite. Not to mention, the film is still rolling out internationally, and the run of the film is not complete. In fact, some sources have posted that Princess's numbers are much higher than has been reported.

    As much as people want to paint a picture from their own perspective, so can I. I personally saw NOTHING racially offensive in this film. Tiana is a strong young woman with not just a dream, but a real goal. Turning into a frog is only a part of her journey. As for the history, this is a fairy tale...a fictional story to entertain - and in fact, if you pay attention closely in a few small areas of the film, it's not as if they simply painted a rose colored picture or acted as if the history was not there. What I think so many fail to realize is that this is not a history lesson nor a documentary. This is a fictional fairy tale meant to entertain, & I do believe it does it in the most sensitive of ways.

    As for knowing Black people and whether they like Disney or not, or liked/disliked this film, there have been TONS of articles and even clips on tv about how this film has so positively affected the Black community, especially Black woman and young Black girls. One of the channels had a whole special on the Black community celebrating their own Disney princess. There are quite a few Black people, including those on my Mother's side of the family, that I know who were so looking forward to this, and it exceeded their expectations.

    So, using my own experience, I painted a very different picture, and quite opposite of yours, on how I feel about this film and that it is not a failure. It may be struggling commercially, but it succeeds for me artistically and a good majority of critics have agreed. Do remember that the inherent value, or "success" (and that is based on how one defines it), of a product (such as this film) is not simply reflected in the numbers. Some of the greatest stuff out there - film, tv, music, etc. - goes under the radar for a variety of reasons. The Chipmunk sequel did big numbers...I highly doubt it will live on and thrive through future generations in the way Princess and the Frog very well may do. In fact, many of the Disney classics we so love today were box office bombs in their time.
    Last edited by tcsnwhite; 01-26-2010 at 01:11 AM.

  15. #165

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: The Princess and the Frog - MiceChat Reviews

    Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    DuffyDaddy, I understand you have some deep rooted issues with this film. And your entitled to feel that way. But there are going to be people who disagree...including myself. To say that the controversial issues regarding race in the film are the reason that it is not a commercial success at the box office are simply not the reason why the film has not done as well as expected commercially. Honestly, those with issues regarding the representation of race or the history of this film are actually quite in the minority. There has been a TON of positive press for this film, strong and positive critical reviews...even Rotten Tomatoes had Avatar and Princess with the same rating. For as many sources that some posters here have posted about the controversial points of view or those saying the film is not good there are plenty out there that say the complete opposite. Not to mention, the film is still rolling out internationally, and the run of the film is not complete. In fact, some sources have posted that Princess's numbers are much higher than has been reported.

    As much as people want to paint a picture from their own perspective, so can I. I personally saw NOTHING racially offensive in this film. Tiana is a strong young woman with not just a dream, but a real goal. Turning into a frog is only a part of her journey. As for the history, this is a fairy tale...a fictional story to entertain - and in fact, if you pay attention closely in a few small areas of the film, it's not as if they simply painted a rose colored picture or acted as if the history was not there. What I think so many fail to realize is that this is not a history lesson nor a documentary. This is a fictional fairy tale meant to entertain, & I do believe it does it in the most sensitive of ways.

    As for knowing Black people and whether they like Disney or not, or liked/disliked this film, there have been TONS of articles and even clips on tv about how this film has so positively affected the Black community, especially Black woman and young Black girls. One of the channels had a whole special on the Black community celebrating their own Disney princess. There are quite a few Black people, including those on my Mother's side of the family, that I know who were so looking forward to this, and it exceeded their expectations.

    So, using my own experience, I painted a very different picture, and quite opposite of yours, on how I feel about this film and that it is not a failure. It may be struggling commercially, but it succeeds for me artistically and a good majority of critics have agreed. Do remember that the inherent value, or "success" (and that is based on how one defines it), of a product (such as this film) is not simply reflected in the numbers. Some of the greatest stuff out there - film, tv, music, etc. - goes under the radar for a variety of reasons. The Chipmunk sequel did big numbers...I highly doubt it will live on and thrive through future generations in the way Princess and the Frog very well may do. In fact, many of the Disney classics we so love today were box office bombs in their time.

    Wow, thank you for providing your insight, and you're absolutely right about modern box office smashes that will continue their journey to obscurity while even the worst selling Disney films will continue to be remembered, all because of the legacy that came before and after it.

    I'm glad this film has had a positive effect on you and it's great hearing it from someone first hand here. I can only say what my friends are saying, which echoes your statements but coming from you is all the better.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Similar Threads

  1. 'The Princess and The Frog'
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 397
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM
  2. the frog princess
    By disneydiva21 in forum Pin Trading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 02:21 AM
  3. Anyone want to go to the Frog Princess?
    By cakvalasc in forum Merchandise Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM
  4. [Question] Will the Princess and the Frog..
    By A113 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
  5. First Look at The Frog Princess
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •